ADD / ADHD Community
Vyvanse

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

Vyvanse

Anyone out there know anything about this drug?  My 8 year old son was on Strattera until yesterday.  He had been on it for about 4-5 months.  It was helping his behavior and his grades improved SO much,  I really hated that we had to change, but it was causing rapid heartbeat and it was too rapid!!  He didn't say anything, didn't know it wasn't supposed to do that.  So, when we discovered it, I took him back to the doctor and we changed to VYVANSE.  He told me it was a "cleaned up version of adderall (adderrall).  they took all the bad, nasty side effects out of adderall (adderrall) and this is what was left."  I was just wanting to see if anyone had any experience with it.  Thanks for the help.
my son is on Vyvanse 30 mg. He does very well, but the only thing is at times he would still be wound up because it really does last a full 12 hours. Sometimes I think it lasts longer. Along with Vyvanse, he has to take a sleep aid of Chlonodine. Dont forget when they take Vyvanse it is real important that they get a full eight to ten hours of rest. Good Luck, he has been doing very well.
hi. I am a 14year old boy. I have have an unbeleivaby extreme case of ADD. The usual dosage of Vyvanse is 30-40mg. I am taking 5 250 mg and one 155m pills every day. And I take 3 more 250mg and 2 more 155mg pills when i get home from school because it wears off after 8 hours. Thats a total amount of 2465mg everyday, thats about 70 times the nomal dose. Along with that I have dyslexia and a minor case if autism. I know I'm really really rreeeaallyy mest up. But for some reason, when I should be mentaly retarted, I have an IQ with my medicine of 197 a genius, and without 46 about 20 away from being metal retarted. This makes my life incredibly hard. My teachers don't understand add and treat me like im a normal smart person. So when I here" O, my son has add/adhd and he takes 30mg. Without his medicine he a wreck and he is so messed up. I don't know how it could get any worse just think I am 70 times worse with autism and dyslexia. Now I have the right to say I couldet get any worse
Hi ya'll I'm new to this site as of today.  I just read your note and dude I understand where you are coming from about the extreme case of ADD.  I'm 27 years old and was diagnosed with ADD when I was 10.  I've taken every drug made for ADD/ADHD.  Don't get discouraged and don't tell yourself you are messed up.  When I was 20 I was taking close to 3000mg every day.  So I know if it was hard for me at 20 how it must be for you at 14. As of now I am not taking any meds that works for me but it sounds like to me the meds help you and that's great.  I am not that great with words and I wish I had all the answers but I can tell you this I know it's hard being 14 and thinking things couldn't get any worse but I will tell you this everybody has their shortcomings, heck for example when I look at numbers I get all mixed up and have to read them very slow, but man don't focus on what you think is wrong with you, focus on what is right with you and work on the rest.  Everything will be all right take care.

David
Hi, we tried my step-son on Vyvanse 30 mg for about a month -- he didn't do so good on it.  Since it is supposed to last all day it is more of a time release and in between the "time releases" he was really quite moody.  It was like a roller coaster day after day.  We had to go back to Adderall (adderrall) 20 mg in the morning and 5mg in the afternoon.  Although our doctor said each person reacts different to each medication.  Hope it works out better for your son!
I was on adderall (adderrall) and switched to Vyvanse because my doctor wanted to see how it worked.  I didn't even last a month and had to go back to adderall (adderrall).  It just didn't have the same effectiveness for me.
My 5 year old is on Vyvanse 50 mg for about 2 months now.  He is doing wonderful on it, but he won't sleep.  On any average night he will sleep about 4-5 hours.  Any suggestions?
Do any of you taking Vyvanese have trouble with your throat hurting after taking this about 5 hours later. My child is on 30 mg and every day about the same time every day he complains of his throat hurting for about an hour and then it quits hurting
My Grandson is almost five and has been diagnosed with Autism and ADD. He was on the the Daytrona patch but it was burning his back and he was able to take it off. The doctor switched him to Vyvanse and he started taking it four days ago. The last four days have been extremely difficult for us and him. He doesn't understand the moods and he is very upset. He can not focus or sit still. He was doing so well with finally talking and socializing and now he can not even think straight. The doctor gave him Adavin yesterday to calm him down and they are going to decide what would be better for him. In the mean time they are keeping him on the patch for school until the doctor can figure this out. My point is that Vyvanse may work for some but if it doesn't work then it is horrible for everyone.
My son is 10 yrs old & has been diagnosed with ADHD since he was 6.  He has been on Focalin, Adderall (adderrall), Ritalin, Metadate & currently is taking Vyvanse.  He takes 70 mg in am with 10 mg of Prozac & @ 3pm he takes 20 mg of Ritalin mainly so he can focus & concentrate on his homework because the Vyvanse wears off about that time.  Then, about an hour before bedtime he takes 0.1 of Clonopine to help him sleep.  If he doesn't take it then he is up all night.  The only bad thing is that he gets very hungry at about 1 am & will either wake me up to fix him something to eat or he will get up & fix something himself but then he goes right back to sleep.  Like I said he is 10 yrs old & he weighs only 60 lbs probably due to the stimulants which decrease his appetite.  When he first started Vyvanse he was on an emotional roller coaster which was very hard to watch.  He was very depressed with crying spells but after about 3 days his emotions seemed to stabilize.  Now, after about six months of taking it he seems to be having some pretty severe anger issues with periods of rage which is concerning his father & me a great deal.  Not to mention, some new & unusal behaviors of obsession and impulsivity.
Has anyone ever expereinced similiar reactions to Vyvanse?
I forgot to mention that my son also has a severe stuttering problem.  He has been in Speech therapy @ school since 1st grade & we do not see an improvement.  We are having a hard time figuring out why it hasn't gotten better.  Any suggestions?
how long does it usually take for an overdose on vyvanse to where off?
might take you a full day.  you won't sleep tonite, that's for sure.
i have been taking aderall time release for 3 to 4 yrs. and had severe side effects so i switched to vyvanse. IT NOT WORK RIGHT AWAY but it takes about 3 to 4 months to fully work but once it does it was 100% better for me then adderall (adderrall). BUT i noticed i stutter A LOT but don;t know y? its so hard for me to talk without messing up what i am saying or i just mumble out sound. its hard for me to listen and understand what people say to me because i hear a totaly different thing from what they said. or if i am writing a paper i will have all these great ideas but when i start it i find myself having to think what im going to right for EACH sentence and feel lost? i need some advice help?
hello i have a 5 1/2 yr old that was on 30mg and the 1st 3 days he was having problems going to sleep and he would talk a lot but after a wk he got better but i still had problems with him going to bed so i felt he was over stimulated so I lowered the doseage to 20mg and what a difference. everythig is perfect. he has an appetite he sleeps when he needs to and he is not overly talkative. he is still focused in school and i think if you lowered the doseage that things would change. talk to your doctor and let him/her know your sons side efftects and maybe that will help.
I dont have any suggestions but I will share this. My husband is on Vyvanse and he doesnt hardly sleep. However, he says he is so pleased with the performance and focus effects he doesnt want to switch meds.  Because you are dealing with a child, I would bring it up to his doctor.  Kids need sleep to grow.   Good luck...
My husband is on it.  He gets very little sleep.  He likes the focus effect during the day so he doesnt want to change.  Children need their sleep to grow and regulate.  I would bring it up to his doctor. From one grandma to another.
i just posted a question about vyvanse and then found this thread.  i have taken vyvanse successfully for a number of years but have started having problems that i suspect are caused by the vyvanse-----has anyone else had this problem?  please check my other thread if you have any info for me---i think it is time to get off of this medication.
It's funny you just posted, I just replied to you on the other thread lol
My 11  year old has been on Vyvanse for a couple of years and we have loved it, he has grown a lot and began to feel his 30 mg dosage was not working, we increased to 40 mg and he began complaining of mild stomach aches that last an hour or so in the morning. Other than the tummy aches it was great, just make sure he drinks lots of water, and makes himself eat something during the day. I also take Vyvanse and have noticed that I pretty much forget to eat and have no appetite, If I don't make myself eat I have a huge crash feeling and get kind of down, low blood sugar kinda feeling,and get headaches but If I eat and drink water I feel great. Also, the insomnia side effect only lasted a couple of months with him and I. We both sleep great now.
I have also done research that citrus makes the med. ineffective so you can't drink O.J. and take it or it will not work. On the other hand if you want it to wear off faster so you can sleep, drink a glass of juice around dinner time.
Hope this helps!
something to try.... citrus (O.J.) counter acts Vyvanse, our Dr. told us not to drink juices or Vitamin water in the morning because it would counter act the Vyvanse. My son used to drink O.J. late in the afternoon or for dinner if he wanted to fall asleep faster, after being on it Vyvanse for about  6 months he doesn't have to worry about it anymore and no longer has  insomnia and falls asleep pretty easily
Hope this helps
my 11 year old son was on Concerta for 3 years and we made the switch to  Vyvance in October.  He was taking 60 mg in the monring and it worked great for 2 1/2 months.  We made an emergency phone call to his doctor and made the decision to go back to Concerta after being suspended from school due to his aggressive outbursts.  After just 2 days off the medicine his aggression was quickly reduced and although the inattention and focus concerns are back, I will gladly take this over the aggression concerns.
Make sure he has lots to drink, Vyvanse seems to cause dry mouth with me and my son but as long as I have something to drink its ok. Maybe its just getting too dry.
My son was diagnosed when he was 5 and they started him on Adderall (adderrall). It did good for the first year or so but in second grade he started gettin really emotional and having breakdowns in school. His doctor put him on Vyvanse and since then he has been very steady, he no longer has the ups and downs like on the Adderall (adderrall). I think that is why some people don't think Vyvase works as well as Adderall (adderrall) because its much smoother and it really lasts all day and I don't notice it wearing off but he sleeps fine. I don't allow him to take it after 9 am though because I know he would not go to sleep at a reasonable time.
When do you give it to him? I would suggest giving it as early as possible, I don't give my son his after 9 pm cause it last so long but I have found he did have trouble getting to sleep the first few weeks but after his body got use to it, he stopped having problems falling asleep.
It may not be the right medication for him. Its very difficult to know exactly whats going on in the brain and what needs to be fixed. When my husband went to get diagnosed they put him on a bi polar med first and it made all his problems alot worse. Then they gave him Adderall (adderrall) and he immediately got better so its really trial and error the doctor said.
Vyvase actually smoothed out my sons emotional rollercoaster . He was put on when he was in second grade around 7 yrs old. They started him on 40 and bumped him up to 50 he is small about 60 lbs now at 10 yrs old.  I was told that getting very angry is a side effect of too much or too little medicine, so may try to tweek the amount. My sons doctor when we were trying to figure out the right amount said that after a week or so if I felt it wasn't working well to break open another cap and give him half of that as well and see how that worked. There is a very small theraputic window with psych meds where you have to have the amount just right , not too little to have no effect and not too much to have side effects. I would keep a journal of his behavior and take it in when you see your doctor next. I personally would not mix meds, I don't like the idea of taking meds to counteract one another but thats just my personal opinion.
  note, I have also read that having a high protein breakfast also helps to make V more effective.  Would be curious if you have experienced this?  Good comments by the way, thank you
I've been on vyvanse only for a couple of years. I oh ave adult add not adhd and it is a great drug but now it's starting to turn on me. I have a horrible headache after a few hours and its hard to get up and do anything and change your mode. Also, you have to force yourself to drink water or you will become dehydrated because your so distracted by the drug you have to force yourself to drink fluids. Also you become dehydrated and wonder if its the dehydration causing the headaches or the Vyvanse itself.
    That medication should not be distracting for you.  Almost sounds like you are getting more then you need.   At any rate, you do need to talk to your doctor about this and see about a change in dose or a change in meds.
    And, yes, I would think that the dehydration is causing the headaches.  Try drinking a sports drink (poweraide, etc) and see if that makes a difference.    
    I also am wondering if you are getting enough nutrients.  A good high protein breakfast really makes a difference when taking Vyvanse.
   Let me know if any of this helps.  Best wishes!
Yes, my son is on that exact dose. He complains his throat hurts and he is getting nonstop migraines.  He also gets very emotional when the meds are almost out of his system in the evenings.  Sometimes, not anything consistant, he has this emotional thing as the meds are kicking in too.  
when I was in the fourth grade I took vyvanse was on it for a year or two and I started losing tons of weight (because it made me anarexite I had barely an appetite)I was the tallest kid in my grade and I weighed almost 89 lbs then I started to complain to my parents about vision problems (it would get black and fuzzy and I would lose my balance) so we got bloodwork and a MRI I had low protein that explained the dark circles under my eyes well the MRI show spots on my brain I was really scared but im fine know im on concerta know which is really working for me hope this helped
My son went on strattera @ 4 @ switched to Vyvanse @ 6 & it was amazing for a while he was neat & tidy his hand writing was amazing & it helped curb his appetite BUT he got terribly depressed & emotional & swore that everyone hated him  it was so hard 2 see him like that so now he's on concerta which His Dr insists on staying with even though I don't think it's enough for him but it slows him down enough to get thru life