ADD / ADHD Community
WHY DOES EVERYONE WANT TO MEDICATE THEIR KIDS WITH RITALIN ETC

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

having a child with adhd / autism and a brother with the same. i am concerned that people want to medicate their children with ritalin etc. can anyone tell me why they need to do this - as i have never felt the  need to.....
Totally agree with you read the above post , you can also google about the problem,I have quoted there some information that has been written, that Parents and Teachers are quick to put a label on children if they seem hyperactive ,I can only suggest sometimes its the easy option and Doctors are very willing to medicate with the strong Drugs out there, it is harder for a Parent to realise th at their Parenting skills are lacking and instead of evaluating the child, they work on themselves  and get better Parent /Child interaction going.There are other reason s they do it and also why children are over medicated  ,if you go into your search engine you will learn a lot....Breggin.com is a site that tells it as it is,.Peter Breggin   is not a quack he is a qualified NY psychiatrist and Medical Doctor.
I believe instead of tyring to label parents as skill lacking, you should look at cases individually.  My son is 6 and is adhd.  I am also a teacher.  I am not saying that I am the best parent in the world, however, I feel I am doing a fairly good job.  With that being said, my son does take medication.  If he was not on medication, his grades would be F's.  Because of the medication, he makes A's and B's.  I have made sure he is on the lowest dose possible.  His behavior is not perfect but he is able to focus in school to get the best possible education.  As an educator, my question would be to you and those that disagree with medication, do you think it is fair to a class of 28 students to have a child be a constant disruption because of their condition?  After all, if your child were diabetic, would you not give him insulin?
I am sorry but i disagree with you totally. if the government were to increase the amount of schools being built instead of just building houses schools would have less pupils in the classes - thus being able to provide a better education for more difficult children. I do think parenting comes in to it - or lack of it in some cases. i work full time in the national health service, have a child without ADHD and i am pretty sure than i do not need to resort to medication in able to get the best out of my son.  Maybe you need to look your teaching skills if you feel children with ADHD are a constant disruption - i feel they are fun to be around - and you can learn alot from them. Ritalin is a form of amphetamine why on earth would you want to put drugs in to childs body? What will you do when your child is no longer able to take the medication - continue to push him for A grades.
Ritalin is indeed a form of amphetamine, that is true.

But it is also a way to stimulate the executive portion of the brain. It does sound awefully funny to give a hyperactive child a stimulant, but the medication does not make you more hyperactive. The only side affect of my Focaline (or concentrated Ritalin!) is a headache and it is not very noticable and doesn't happen much. It really just makes me more alert, calmer (yes), and it helps me to focus on things that I could not before. Until your body is used to it (took about a week for me) it can make you a little how do I say... Loopy? But after a couple of weeks I could not tell that I had taken it until late in the evening when the anxiety and channel surfing came back to me.

It does nothing for the foot tapping and constant movement. I did not take any medication until 2-3 months ago. I am really seeing the benefit now. Personally I have a lot of anxiety (which I heard from my doctor is common with ADHD) and it alleviates 90% of the butterflies in my stomach, or as someone's child described it "the monster in my chest."

Listen, I have a 1 year old myself. I would exhaust all other alternatives first, but I really think highschool and college would have gone much better had I seeked treatment.
I never said I did not like ADHD students.  I agree with you that if the government would put more into education, like building more schools, we could have lower class sizes.  I don't push my child to make A's but if that is his capability I feel that he should be aspiring to that grade.  As far as "pushing" drugs into my son's body, once again I ask you, if your child were diabetic or had a heart condition, would you not give him his medicine.  Or better yet, if you had a child that was Schizophrenic, would you give him the medicine to keep him on track or do you feel as a parent you could control him as well?
Reagrding your comment, as far as i am aware diabetes, heart conditions are physical illness that tend to respond better to prescribed medication, so therefore this is the better for the patient. ADHD is a mental illness and i find CBT is the most effective form of treatment when working with this condition. It is obviously having a good effect on my child as he managed to  get topmarks in german this week without the aid of medication. with regard to whether or not i would give a person with scizophrenia medication, i am unable to answer as i have limited experience of people with this type of mental illness. I dont feel i am controlling my son as you suggest and i think it would be unfair me to suggest you are doing the same. I can satisfy myself that i am giving my child love, understanding and a good supportive family. The question is can you - or is your satisfaction coming from a bottle?
Sir, I am not trying to insult you as I feel you are to me.  I too feel I am giving my child love, understanding and a good supportive family.  As I am also ADHD, I feel I know what is best for my child.  I do not believe that medication alone is going to help anyone.  But in order to start on CBT with my son, I had to get him to a point where he could focus long enough TO start.  I do not feel that anyone needs medication forever.  I took medicine as a child and by the time I was 16, I had learned enough skills to help me overcome my inattention and disorganization.  I don't feel that I could have gotten to that point if I had not had medication to start me off.  I am truly sorry that this has come down to some kind of argument.  My original point was just that I don't feel anyone has the right to judge another for the way they medicate their child.
I think you can judge if the parent is drugging their children irresponsiblly. I can see both sides of the coin here. I can see stimulants helping if taken responsibly and with care. I can see CBT being very effective if one has the time to do it.  I do lean towards thinking stimulants should be the last resort though. ADD is not a disease by the way, like diabetes..it's a disorder. ADD can not be proven via any clinical medical exam. The diagnosis is an educated guess based on a battery of tests..
teacher4life, it's not the same as a child with diabetes (I often hear that argument).  The testing is subjective, not conclusive.  You can't draw blood and determine conclusively that a child has ADD/ADHD and then draw more blood to conclude whether or not the medication is working properly.  It would make this a lot simpler if you could, but you can't.  That, coupled with not being able to predict, within reason, the effects of the medication on the developing brain, or the potential long-term effects, leads to even more uncertainty and concern.

I'm wondering how many people get second or third opinions where this diagnosis is concerned.  Does anyone know if that is common?

All that said, everyone obviously needs to do what they feel is best for their children.
I realize I am coming in here to a hostile conversation.  I think the judging of parents is a big part of the problem.  Some kids may not HAVE to be medicated, but every where you go people are judging your parenting skills based on the behavior of your child.  If we could all be a bit more supportive of each other, I think it would impower more parents to push through and avoid meds.
I have 4 boys and my 3rd is ADHD.  We held off on meds as long as we could, but he was a danger to himself and others.  He had NO impulse control.  No matter what the consequence, he would do exactly what was in his head.  Whether that was running in the street or hitting someone.  After losing him in a parking lot and having his brother get hit with a large stick and requiring stitches, we realized that he had a problem that would not be managed by behavior modification alone.  We are now able to get through to him.  Discipline actually works.
All that being said we HATE that he has to be on this.  We have kept him on the lowest possible dose.  I don't love my child any less that those who feel they have a grip on the situation with out meds.  I am not any better or worse parent.  I am simply doing what I feel is best for my son.  He is an amazing kid with a great zest for life.  I love him intensely with or with out meds.  I don't give him meds to make my life easier and I am optimistic that most parents don't either.  Like I said, his lack of impulse control was a serious situation.
I would love to hear what specific things people do to help their kids manage their behavior and impulses with out meds.  That would benefit all who read this.  Not coming to a place to find help and feeling judged yet again.

At the age of 4 my son with ADHD was excluded from reception after the second week..he had a full time statement from when he was 3 in nursery same school.

His next school told me when he was 7 he would have to leave that school also even wtih full time support.
The LEA and school wanted me to put my son in residental care, I was told I would be able to see him once a fortnight.on a weekend.
I asked for the chance of ritalin..No other school would take him.

that is the reason I felt I need to drug him up...and I hate myself for it.
Dialogue is help, feedback is help, simply agreeing is not help,and no one is judging simply telling it as they see it .
Not every disease has a definitive test but yet it is definitely a disease.  There is no medical test for Multiple Sclerosis but it is defininitly a disease.  There is no test for Fibromyalsia (fibromyalgia) but it is definitely a disease.  I often hear from others that because the testing is subjective, there are issues from it.  I did get a 2nd opinion before deciding the best course of action.  As far as the risks of medicine, unfortunately there are risks to any medicine.  I know of a child who got a hepatitis A vaccine and ended up paralyzed for a short period of time.  It will take upto 2 years to go through rehab and fully recover.  And margypops, I am not sure anyone is telling it as they see it because no one knows of every case.  Just as I should not judge anyone for not using every available avenue for their child neither should someone tell me I am doping up my child when that is not the case.
as a mother of 2 adhd boys, i feel that there will always be a great debate whether or not to medicate with ritalin, concerta etc...and that my experience has thought me is that if an adhd child was so busy they couldn't sit still with a small class of 9 students and couldn't focus well enough to learn to their full potential, wouldn't it do more harm if parents decided not to medicate, not to mention how they are at times tormented by classmates for being different, which only adds to their frustrations, it has been reported some kids become aggressive and disuptive out of frustration ,without meds some kids could end up alot worse mentally later in life, imagine how anyone would feel knowing they could of avoided this situation...to note, i have 18 yrs experience in dealing with adhd and related issues...my children both have had a psychologist, psychiatrist, pediatricians say the same thing: which is your doing more harm than good if you choose not to medicate a child that needs it, i am happy for those parents that feel their child has enough self control that meds are not needed,  but for the kids that have severe concentration, impulsivity, hyperness,that is not an option and parents are all to frequently blamed for bad parenting skills. but with all the adhd kids in the world today, maybe it's time to look at the food's kids eat...additives and preservatives and msg's, if they are being blamed for other problems , it's not too far of a reach ...
teacher4life god forbid your child develops cardiac problems due to his chronic use of amphetamines. It can also cause permanent mental disorders as he grows up. Just google long term use of amphetamines and you will find tons of clinical studies proving that.

to marky
god forbid my child get any kind of illness from ANY medication he ever has to take for ANY illness he may have.  ANY medication has a risk for side effects.  And yes I have googled for effects.  What you have not read in the fine print is that it is a low percentage of children that have long term effects from the medicine or cardiac problems.  As a matter of fact, the children that have had cardiac problems or died had a preexisting condition that the medicine exasperated.  My son had a full physical to make sure that he did not have any preexisting condition.  We find on the TV and the internet all the time that this medicine or that medicine has been found to have side effects.  If the side effects are significant enough the medicine is taken off the market by the FDA.  I am not saying that any medicine for any condition or illness is the very best course of action, but as darlene38 said, if a child cannot control themselves and cannot make friends or learn, then what else should you do when CBT alone does not work.
teacher4life has a point, in all of the studies i have read about, the ones that have had extreme side effects have had pre existing conditions not known at the time they started taking ritalin or the such..why would you want a child to suffer more when there is help out there, i have seen what ritalin can do, along with behaviour modification..there are side effects with all medications,my son's md said it well, you can choose not to medicate and do more harm than good..then when it's too late the damage is done, one might say gee i wish i had of done this differently....to note: my 18 yr old who is adhd/reading disorder  has always done well on ritalin has obtained his preapprenticeship for both auto mechanics and carpentry but without meds to help him concentrate he would not of acheived this...
I think natural is the way to go… if natural works on its own that is. I only joined this site a few days ago and am a little disappointed at so many people that seem to put parents down for resorting to medicating their child. I really do wish that going the natural way worked for everyone but it doesn’t. It seems in some cases people only resort to medication if their child is failing at school.  I have already been judged for doing this. they seem to think that a child failing in school is ok or blame it on not enough interaction with there child. Not only do I agree with teacher4life about it not being fair on a class of 28 being disrupted but its also not fair on my stepson not being able to concentrate in class and failing. To be honest the only time my Stepsons ADHD is a problem is where school is concerned otherwise I would never have resorted to medication. As I have said in other posts I cant be with my son every hour at school to make sure he is doing his work and learning and I cant expect a teacher to be constantly with him and not worry about the other students. I don’t expect my son to get all A’s or even B’s but I will not be responsible for him failing all together and no one should be judged or frowned upon for wanting there child to succeed in life.
As I said, natural is wonderful but is not always enough! I wish it was!

For anyone that is interested go to clinicalstudies.info.nih.gov
Either enter ADHD or 05-M-0105 in the diagnosis
You can also phone 1800-411-1222

The government is doing about 8 different studies on ADHD at the moment (amongst many on other diseases). Some are as simple as a blood test on the parents and two siblings 7 years and older (one must have ADHD). These scientists believe that ADHD is caused by two chromosomes. I personally think that if they can pinpoint the exact cause then they will be able to work on other medications that treat without undesired effects (not that my son is having any). I also feel that if ADHD can one day be diagnosed with a blood tests then there will be no misdiagnosed cases of ADHD.
Oh and I would not put my stepson on Ritalin.. but that's just me.

I have been reading this thread as I find ADHD very interesting, from a mother's point of view.

Is Ritalin the only medication available?
No there are others , Adderall (adderrall) and Dexadrine are the amphetamine containing Drugs used for ADHD and the methylphenidates, such as Concerta and Ritalin. 2 years ago the FDA put a strong warning on the Lables of these Drugs , many experts say it is not strong enough. Concerns are aggressive and Hostile behavior and vision problems and seizures. and it is recommendedthat all children taking them should be monitored regularly ..
yes there are other meds as mergypops said.  The major problem with these is damage to the liver. My son was on ritalin, but we removed because the side effects were worse than his adhd. He was then put on adderall (adderrall) and it was great. he improved in school. He no longer takes the meds and does quite well but he's an adullt (18) but at times he could be on the meds.  One of the major things we did was to make sure he did not take his meds on the weekends or over the summer.

Nicoljane, do not hate yourself. It's better for your child in the long run than letting him end up in terrible trouble because lack of medication to keep him from it.
thanks for your kind words Stormsong, I'm not giving my son any med now, well since last week.
I never gave them to him weekends or school hols either..at the moment, all I want is my real son back again.
I am teacher's mother.  61 and ADHD.  I benefit from medication but can't afford it now.  She is also ADHD.  There is a theory that this situation has a connection with L-dopa.  My mother had Parkinson's, which is an L-dopa situation.  I know others who had Parkinson's parents and ADHD children.  More than a coincidence, I think.  So, very much a biological situation.  And genetic.  NOT subjective at all.

I was told when teacher was young that ADHD kids sometimes exhibit "soft" neurological symptoms.  She DID show positive on some.  However, I've never heard this mentioned anywhere else.  Anyone heard this?

Also, a friend had read 30 years ago of a chiropractor who claimed to be able to help.  People have a dominant hand and the foot and eye are also the same side dominant.  This chiropractor claimed that ADHD people have the dominant eye on the wrong side and claimed to be able to switch the eye dominance to the correct side and that would fix the ADHD.         Well, I am right handed and footed, but left eyed.  Teacher is the opposite, and this friend's kids were right handed and footed but left eyed.  And I have spoken to several adults who were ADHD and when I brought up this dominance idea, they all had the same situation.  So again----coincidence?--no, I think not.  But I don't know anyone who used the chiropractor---he was too far from my friend to use, but she wanted to try it.  Desperate is the word.

I have never spoken to anyone else, including Drs.,  who have heard of the dominant situation.  Nor have I read about it, but it definitely exists.  And along with the "soft" neurological symptoms,  these are physical signs of ADHD.  So, is the medical community ignoring these as far-fetched?

Schooling isn't the only consideration for medication, either.  Social adjustment is important.  Many kids and people don't want to be around hyper ones.  This was why I wanted my daughter treated.

Medication IS warranted on many levels, this IS biological, not just a behavior problem for verbal therapy.  I believe there is more psychological adjustment and learning damage done if you DON'T medicate ------- when needed.

liz
Medication is appropriate for some children with ADHD/ADD because it enables them to reach their academic potential and make mindful decisions.  Without the right medication in the right dose some ADHD/ADD children are socially isolated at school and underachieve academically.  A few of these kids will self medicate with alcohol or other drugs.  A few of the most impulsive will end up in jail.

It's really just a simple as that.
It's not the best medication out there I am on Concerta and it is great stuff, It is more balanced than anything. I'd would recommend it because I am  on it myself.  
Do you have to be an American to need medication.  We live in Vienna Austria (Europe) and it is a city with very low juvenile crime.  The only kids taking Ritalin are prescribed by an American child psychiatrist, american families go to her.  So it is mostly kids at the American International School who take these drugs.

I am not making a judgement but dont you think this says something??  
How do you know that the ONLY kids taking Ritalin are American in your city?  
Yes you are right I was generalising.  ritalin is relatively new here and I know that in the American international school they line up at lunchtime for their dose.

We have other solutions here in Austria + long maternity leave (2 years) which gives children a very good start in life.
What are the other solutions?  I would like to know what they are as I would like to try them with my son. I wish I could have had 2 years maternity leave.  
Well the health system is one of the best in the world and each child with difficulties is given a team that they work with, child psychologist, occupational therapist.  They design an individual programme for each child + they go to these 'integration kindergatens' were special needs specialist work with the kids in a normal classroom/kindergarten type setting.  So they are mixed in but they get the specialist help they need.  There is family training then with child psychologists + behaviour modification programmes.  Near where I live there is a therapy centre where they use horses and the kids horse ride and take care of the horses.  I think they intervene very early, there is an outstanding kindergarten system here run by the state with all kinds of specialists attached.
I am no expert, my son was diagnosed ADHD aged 8 at the time i didnt live in Austria so we had to design our own behaviour modification plan based on mostly American ideas.  But i am lucky we work with the UN and he went to a private school with small classes and lots of willing help. I know it is not like that for everyone.

But having said that he is fine now aged 17.  My cousin in Ireland put her son on ritalin + he has been on lots of medication and when I meet her every couple of years (weddings and funerals) it is the first thing she brings up what a burden he is.  So he never learnt to control himself and how to handle his intensity.
I think if the healthcare system would pay for all of that, we WOULD have less children on ADHD meds or at least at lower doses.  My son, who is 6, does quite well on Focalin.  I used to keep him off of it on weekends and holidays until a short  time ago.  My son came in from playing with tears rolling down his face.  He said that his friends didn't want to play with him.  I went outside to see what was going on.  His friends told me that my son kept hitting them when he didn't get his way.  I went inside and spoke with my son very calmly to see what the problem was.  My son was frustrated because the other kids were beating him at a running race.  His impulse control is so short that anytime he gets frustrated, he gets frenzied.  When he is on meds, he does not feel this way at all.  If I had the money for the therapists I would definitely take him there, however, as a teacher, I obviously do not make enough money.
Well you do your best and things can change he may grow out of it.  This is a strong possibility especialy if a child is clever, they come to understand themselves and can put strategies in place.
Best of luck
Right off the bat : I never criticize parents for medicating their children.  I do not know the circumstances for each and every family, and have not lived with the problems they face.

That said, I never understood the issue of children on ADD medication before I started taking it myself.  I thought of it as any other type of medication that might be given to children such as cardiac medicines, diabetic medicine, psychiatric medicine, etc, and didn't think much of it.  I DID however think (and still think) that it is an overdiagnosed and overmedicated diagnosis of ANY age.  But that is not a judgement of anyone here or elsewhere....just an opinion and observation of mine.

But back on topic.....like I said, I never gave it much thought until I went on the medication myself.  I am 33 and was diagnosed 6 months ago.  I have been on Adderall (adderrall) XR for these past 6 months and have noticed things....side effects....that I don't hear talked about very much.  It has altered my personality, my motivation, and several other things.  I no longer have the interest and/or motivation in things that I once loved to do, there are friends that I have broken off contact with for no reason, and I have developed an obsession with plucking my leg hair (trichotillomania).  

Now before someone mentions things such as depression as a possible reason for my lack of motivation and interest in things I once loved to do.....this is entirely different,...ENTIRELY different.  It was as someone switched it off in my brain and I no longer care, I have suffered from depression, and believe me, this is a different feeling.  It's literally like waking up and finding that that you can't stand the smell of coffee after drinking it for 20 years.  THAT'S not related to depression....THAT'S something affecting your brain.  

And the trichotillomania, I've researched this on multiple websites and found dozens and dozens of people who report this....many (if not most), report that they pluck leg hair.  It's similar to what people who do methamphetamine (meth) experience....that constant skin plucking that leaves sores and scars on them.

Some of the potential side effects of these medications go far beyond physical symptoms such as nausea, sleepiness, constipation.....they ACT on your brain in ways that I'm not sure we understand just yet.  My brother-in-law's wife is on Ritalin and he says she has experienced similar things, but she's not noticing that they're happening.  She's not acknowledging that anything has changed, but my brother-in-law asked me if they could be possible side effects of the medication (without knowing what I had been experiencing).

So all I'm saying is to PLEASE take the decision to medicate your child very seriously and weigh all the options available to you.  If this medication can affect an adult in this way, it scares me to think what effect it might have on a young, growing, brain.
Hi all,

Not every way is for everyone.  I was so against medication it is not even funny. Yes, some people have side affects from Aderrall others do not and are very successful.

My husband was dx'd with ADHD at the age of 35...can you imagine?  Parents out there are so lucky that society is now educated so children can receive the help that is needed.  Some children can do well on diet to control symptoms and others can not.

There is no way that is the right way for everyone.  Some people are opinionated and very stubborn and will not listen to the opposite side.  I know, I was one of them..

I stuggled and struggled and struggled some more before deciding to put my 5 year old on the same meds that my husband was taking.  He is on the lowest dosage.  I went from receiving 3 phones calls in a week from the Kindergarten teacher about my sons behavior to a daily progress report filled with sad faces.  Can you imagine..this child could do nothing right, his self esteem was low always re-directed - disturbing the other children in the class.  Finally after much convincing from my husband to at least try it...basically he said he had a rough life thinking he was wrong about everything and did not want his son to experience the same thing.  Oh, after much counseling, alcholism (alcoholism), impuslive behavior is when he realized what happened to him.

Anyway, without telling a single sole at the school or family members, over the thanksgiving day weekend we tried it, sent him to school...Nothing, no phone calls, my son WHO is 5 said I can sit still on the carpet now and pay attention for circle time.

OMG - this is the same child who in the super market would push the cart after me telling him to stop 5 times in row looked at me and said I dont know why I keep doing this when I turned to yell at him.

He went from 6 sad faces on his progress report to 5 smiley faces and 1 sad.  Granted of course he is not perfect.  His self esteem and confidence were immediately improved.

This posting is for the parent that doesn't know if they should try it or not.  I just wanted to share my experience as it is a positive one.  Please, I don't care if you disagree or not...I'm not here to debate..as I said I was once an advocate for no meds...but no longer.  People, find what works best for you and make your decision based on facts not opinions.  

Oh, one last thing I learned was that I kept the decision for putting him on meds to my husband and I....made it much more easier transition and evaluating without the negativety of others.

Good luck to all - No matter which way you go..I wish you all well. :)

I agree with many pple here we as mothers try and do whatever needs to be done to make our children feel comfortable every case is different my son takes ritilin-concerta-risperidone and seroquel he has adhd anxiety problems mood disorder which they are still evaluating and it might be bi-polar  phobia and insomnia and also has vocal tics some days more than others as a mother do people actually think that i want to have my son taking all these medications of course not however am i going to have my son jumping being disruptive being looked at by unknowledgeable people that think im not being stern enough or i allow my son to do whatever he wants just because they don't know that my son has a psychological disorder. That he is unable to be in a regular school and needs to attend a special needs school because regular schools don't have the trained faculty to handle children with ADHD among other problems some teachers don't have the patience to deal with children with ADHD and yell or send them out of the room making the child feel even more irritable and out of place so we can spend money building schools however what we need is more money to educate people about these problems and how to handle special needs children some parents dont have the resources to send the child to special needs schools however their are resources out there that will help you get your child in these special needs school. So you see we need to medicate our children in order for them to function accordingly every medication given is a trail in error as far as ritilin it only last in the system for 3-4 hrs it wears off. SO when you ask why do parents give their child medications such as ritilin it's so that the child can feel normal and not aggravate people so that he can get educated in school rather than getting off his chair it's so that he can learn it's so that he doesn't get labeled as that child that doesn't want to listen it's for many many reasons for those of you parents that are able to handle your child and your child is able to control himself without the medicines god bless if you dont get complaints from the school teacher awesome if your able to go out with your child and he listens and he is able to behave throughout the outing then more power to you all however certain children have more going on not just ADHD alone and we need do what we are adviced by our child doctor we can accept to do it or not to each his own. I will do whatever needs to be done so that my son feels comfortable and normal many children grow out of this disorder as they get older so i hope and pray for all those that are going through this that we will get to see that day GOD BLESS you all . My son tried adderall (adderrall) among other meds and it didn't work what works for some don't work for others again meds are a trial and error
I am not pro medication.  That is why I struggle with my 5 year old everyday...and it breaks my heart to see the frustration on his teachers face.  That being said..I still can not medicate him.  

I do however, find it pretty pathetic that some would come into this forum and ridicule any parent who chooses that option.  I do not believe it is a lazy parent or lack of parenting.  Every child is different and when you come in here and totally disrespect a mother and a child for midicating...I find it insulting.

That being said... I do not feel you can compare this to diabetes or cardiac conditions as ADHD will not kill you.  

Whether or not you choose to medicate your child is your choice.  Make that choice wisely and do not take any sh*t from anyone else....
the school stongly suggested that i put my child on adderal during the day and zyprexa at night
we tried it, too many side effects
i am a ritalin suvivor, i was put on it in grammar school, i know the dangers, so i refused to drug my son
i ended up homeschooling, we have been doing this for a few months now
its working out much better than public school special ed.
i have several friends who have their children on speed, i just wont do it
most adhd patients need something to calm them down not wire them
all of the adhd meds, except for stratera (Strattera) have the same affect as cocain or diet pills
i just couldnt do that to him
i do not look down on people who medicate their children, my son actually takes a non-narcotic med for adhd and gad
i am just scared to give my child narcotics such as ritalin, concerta, adderal
but we all do what we have to do
i am sure none of us here thought we would have to make these types of descions when we had kids
our best is all we can do
I am 58 years old and am going on ritlali9n. I have tried it and it has changed my life for the better.
I have always had undiganosed ADHD. I have known it since i was a kid, but no one ever did anyhting baout it.

I have tried Straterra and that is also great.

Riortalion works for some kids and that is great.

I am a teacher, special ed and I am for anything that works, even for me.
11 yrs ago i was diagnose with adhd borderline asperges and was at first put on dexinfetamines for the first yr after the diagnoses... then they sarted me on ritalin and i was worse then ever i became even more violent and disruptive and by the time i was 12 i felt as if this medication had a complete control over my life and so one morning i woke up and refused to take it my doc then put me on a 6 week trial and i havent looked back i have now been med free for 6 yrs and love it
What these children need is a good and attentive mother - not rilalin. Make sure their diet is healthy and that they have no physical problems, such as heavy metal poisoning. Make sure they do not have thyroid problem. Feed them healthy organic foods and cut out sweet things like sodas. When they get excited, stay calm. Do not drug them.
So your son throws a tantrum when he doesn't get his way. Children who consistently throw tantrums often find that mother will give in just to keep him quiet. Perhaps this is the problem with your son, except that others won't give in to him. Is the answer drugs or more thoughtful parenting?
Like most teachers all you care about is the child's academic success. Your son is only six, and so what if he is a little rambunctious. He will outgrow it. Look at the whole child, not his report card. So a child is disruptive in class. A skilled teacher knows how to handle this. Sometimes the most intelligent children are the most rambunctious. but you would be happier with submissive robots. Often the child is taken to a psychologist or some sort of doctor because the teacher recommends it. You are not a doctor. You have no right to encourage the drugging of children. I am sorry you are doing it to your very young son.
Good golly, at least look at the dates.  Help people who care enough to post.  When you dig up things that are a year old, it just makes you look like you are preaching to the choir.
“There was a boy who in his early teens was a bad student, failing in many classes. Thought to be bright and encouraged by his parents and uncles, the boy could not bring himself to pay attention. He dropped out of school and took long walks.“

Meetings were held. No psychiatric medicine was available. The boy’s personality changed not a whit. Nevertheless the boy became a legend.“

Yes, that boy was Albert Einstein. It is possible—in my mind, probable—that had psychiatric medicine been prescribed for the young Albert, the world would never have learned about relativity
   Or maybe if there were the current medicines available, he would not have had all the problems he had in his school career, and could have gone on to a top ranked university and achieved even more.  Who knows - its all relative.
Why should I have to medicate? I didn't ask to be born with this.
I tried medication, and yes I am much more focused whilst medicated. It feels brilliant to be appreciated at work for a change. But I also lost loads of weight and could not stop smoking. In hindsight, I wish I had found out more before taking them.

I was diagnosed at age 21, prescribed Concerta XL @ 34mg to start. On my second visit I was increased to 54mg. I had few visits with my doctor before she left work.
That was nearly two years ago and I am now trying to find help as I don't know what to do with myself.

I like having ADHD and there are loads of things that I miss about myself when on medication. I just wish I could focus more when I need to.
      There are a lot of adults who are able to medicate only when needed.  They take a standard Ritalin which lasts 4 hours max.  You will probably have to experiment till you find the right dose if you tried this.  The trouble with XL's (or the good thing depending on your view) is that they last all day.  Thus they can effect things like food intake, etc.   Its wonderful if you are in school all day, but usually not needed in the workplace (depending on your job).
    I would find a good doc.  Look for one that specializes in ADHD if possible.  You might also want to check out web sites for adults with ADD so you can get a feeling how others handle similar problems.  Try this one -
    http://jeffsaddmind.com/
    Hope this helps.  Please post if you need any more info.
I actually feel very sorry for your son to have such an inconsiderate parent who obviously won't be able to give a good example of empathy and love to others who don't do things the same way as she does.  It's great that your adhd child does not require medication to be successul in school and other requirements in his life.  Unfortunately that is not the case for all adhd children.  Every child is different and every adhd child is different with varyinig severity.  My DS is 9 y/o.  I have tried everything.  Private school, homeschool, public school (only because we had to move did I change the type of schools, but each time I tried something new).  Every environment and school I was given the same feedback.  He is very distracted and not focusing in class.  He is very well behaved, not hyper, just adhd inattentive.  He plays with pencils, erasers, etc. instead of doing work including tests.  We have tried everything including behavior modification, punishments such as grounding from tv/video games, etc.  We've even tried tutoring.  Nothing has helped.  He is an extremely bright child, but is failing 3rd grade.  This has been going on since kindergarten, but I did not want to medicate my child so I've tried everything else to no avail.  We spend anywhere from 1-4 hrs on homework every night trying help his grades.  It doesn't help and is not fair to him to have to spend that much time on homework after school.  I can read a sentence to him and the immediately ask a question from that sentence and he can't answer it because he's "not listening" when really he is distracted.  I cannot continue to allow him to fail without giving him every possible opportunity to do better.  He needs help and our last resort is medication.  We are starting that this week.  It was the hardest decison we've ever made.  I've cried to the point of snubbing, especially when I went to the pediatrician's office and picked up the prescription.  I feel like a failure, but let me tell you that deep down I know that's not the case.  Our family has given him all the love we could possibly given him.  We have exhausted every other resource available to help him.  Please do not judge parents who give their child medication.  It is a hard enough decision as it is without having to deal with negativity from others.  Because of people like you I will not inform the school personnel.  There are too many judgemental people and I think that's unfortunate because the more onboard everyone in his care is the better.  Please think again about your responses and understand that all children are different.  You are not the only responsible, loving parent out there.  Many responsible, loving parents have HAD to make the decision to give their child medication.
    Wow, a very powerful statement.
I do have a few suggestions.
   Your doc will start him out on the lowest dose and wait for you to tell him how it is working.  Keep in communication.  It is a bit of trial and error.
   Get the book,  "The ADD/ ADHD Answer book," by Susan Ashley."  Its about 10 bucks on Amazon.  It will be very helpful for you.  And might have saved you some of the grief you have gone through.  The book also has a great section on 504 plans for school.
   Not sure what you meant by, "I will not inform the school personnel."  I can think of several reasons why that may not be the best thing for your child - but I'm not exactly sure what you mean by the statement.
   Please feel free to post - maybe start your own post topic - if you have any questions that I could help with.
   Oh, and lots of good homework/schoolwork suggestions on this site -
http://www.additudemag.com/search/keyword/Homework%20and%20Test%20Help.html
My 3 yr old grandson has recently been diagnosed w/ADHD & possible bipolar. He ONLY seems to have horrible fits at school & has already been kicked out of 3 daycares for biting, hiting & just horrible fits that neither his parents or I see. He is a disiplined child & when he does get in trouble at home it seems no matter what you do, nothing helps. But to me it's just regular child disbehavior, nothing violent like the school says. Ive been researching different meds & have come across "Synaptol". Is anybody using it & does it really work as well as it says. Sounds like THE miracle all natural cure, but sounds too good to be true. I cry & pray for I dont want my grandson medicated up & have the life treatening side effects. It breaks my heart. PLEASE, if anyone uses Synaptol, plz let me know if its as good as it says. Thanx, Kaden's Gran!!
While researching ADHD for my 3 yr old grandson, I came across this site, hellolife.net & it advertises Synaptol. It seems to have rave reviews. Hoping somebody might have tried it & waiting for some reviews, ya never know if the reviews on those sites sre real or not. Hope this helps??  KadensGran1963
      Kind of weird that he has been diagnosed as ADHD if it only happens at preschool.  Clinical guidelines are very clear that it must be happening at two or more places.  Also guidelines are pretty clear about not medicating at such an early age until other measures have been tried.
   I have had various people ask about Synaptol and I have always replied to please let me know if it has worked for you.  I have never heard anything back.  I researched the ingredients a while ago.  Its a very "shotgun" approach.  And some of the 15 or so things are actually kind of dangerous, but there is such a small amount of them in the medicine that I doubt that they pose any danger.  Personal opinion is that it is a typical "shotgun" naturalistic approach that is designed to sound good while taking your money.  It is very expensive and I am fairly sure that if it worked, I would have read about it.   There are certainly other things to try first behavior wise.
i was diagnose ADD when I was 40--given ritalin, which didn't seem to help.  eventually given vyvanse for ADD and because psych thought it might help my depression.

I can't believe the the things I was getting done!! We lost our medical insurance and my husband didn't want me to go off of it, so we payed $150 dollars a month for a couple of months--then eventually had to change to something generic and short acting---didn't work as well.

I have chronic pain, and my medications make me sleepy, one psychiatrist told me that they use stimulants to counteract the effects of narcotics.

I recently tried the cheap/generic approach again---and have been struggling to figure out why my fatigue has been getting progressively worse---and I can't concentrate to save my life.   i am waiting to pick up my new prescription of vyvanse right now.

I was not hyperactive, I did very well in school until I got distracted by life--then my grades dropped.  My IQ is higher than average, but I am greatfull to have the medication to help me, even though it usually doesn't last 12 hours like it is supposed to.

i do not sit still very well.  I have rocked in a rocking chair or against a pillow since I was a very little girl----several years ago was the first time i saw "rocking" mentioned on a questionaire for ADD/ADHD.
The only thing I'd like to invite parents to do is to take the medication themselves for 2 weeks before giving it to their kids. We're talking here about a drug which directly stimulates the nervous system, akin to cocaine, or opium more precisely.
Beyond the stricly medical question, and I believe reading everything on here show some parents have very justifiable reasons for going there, there's the entire moral standpoint of whether or not it's okay to, basically, put a bullet in a six barrel gun and spin the wheel on our kid's heads. Because like it or not, it's basically what this drug is. You don't know how it will affect your child, just like you don't know how someone taking acid for the first time will react. It could greatly help or greatly worsen their condition and regardless, the impact will affect them for their entire lives.
   Probably not a good idea to invite someone without ADHD to try stimulant meds (unless you are in the military and it is necessary to stay awake while flying, etc).  However, if you do have ADHD then there is not the risk of addiction.   As the medical community says :
      "Stimulant drugs, such as Ritalin, Cylert, and Dexedrine, when used with medical supervision, are usually considered quite safe. Although they can be addictive to teenagers and adults if misused, these medications are not addictive in children. They seldom make children "high" or jittery. Nor do they sedate the child. Rather, the stimulants help children control their hyperactivity, inattention, and other behaviors."    From Psyc Central   disorders/adhd/adhd.htm#adhd11