ADD / ADHD Community
What do I do?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

What do I do?

Hello, I am 23 years old and currently diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder and General Anxiety Disorder along with Post traumatic stress disorder but the past 5 or 6 months I have been questioning some of my diagnosis. I did some research on some stuff that has been going on with me since I was a child and I strongly think I could be add/adhd. I know that I am no doctor and cannot diagnose myself but every time I bring up testing me for this my psychiatrist just kind of shrugs it off saying that it could be something else and while I do respect that she is more educated in this than me I also do not see the harm in a test. I did have an addiction problem a few years ago with mild painkillers but I told her in the beginning I did not want any controlled substances so I guess my question is, what should I do?
       Well, since "Approximately 30%-40% of people with ADHD have an anxiety disorder such as obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), generalized anxiety disorder (GAD)/excessive worry, agoraphobia, panic disorder or other anxiety issues."  (From the first link below) - you may be correct in your thinking.
   Let me first give you a few very good links on adults, ADHD, and anxiety.
        This is a great piece on ADHD and Anxiety.  You might even want to print it out and give it you your psyc.  the link is --
          http://www.add.org/page/ADHDandAnxiety

The next link is called, "Can Adults have ADHD"   I will send that link to you via private message because its from psyc central and I can't copy that link here.  Its a great overall link on ADHD and on the left side you will see tons more info - even a quiz to take.

The last link is ADHD-Not just for kids anymore.  Its another good overall look at the problem.  
        http://www.add.org/?ADHDNotJustFor

Perhaps as you get more information, your psyc will listen to you.  If not I would look for a psyc who specializes  with ADHD.   These links will also give some ideas for that.
      Finally, your concerns over meds is very understandable.  But stims and painkillers are two different classes.  And if you do have ADHD or ADD, the stim meds do effect your very differently then if you don't.  And, of course, there are some non stim meds too.  As the Core Psyc article says, "Although taking stimulants for treatment may seem risky, there is significant research that demonstrates that when taken as directed by your psychiatrist or physician, they are safe and effective in the treatment of adult ADHD."   So your concern about control substances may not be quite as valid as you think.  But, as these articles point out - there is a lot that you can do even with out the meds.  Just knowing that ADHD could be at least a part of the cause for your anxieties could be huge for you.
   Hope this helps.  If you have any more questions, please post.
Happy New Year!!!
          http://www.add.org/page/ADHDandAnxiety

http://www.add.org/?ADHDNotJustFor

Happy New Year!!!
Thank you so much. This helps me more than you know!
   I am glad I could help!   Wondered if you could help me.  I am trying to help another person who has ADHD and is wondering about all these other things that is bothering her.  I tend to think it is generalized anxiety disorder.  If you don't mind, could you list (or private message me if you want) your symptoms for the anxiety?
    Happy New Year!