ADD / ADHD Community
What do I need to take for my ADHD?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

What do I need to take for my ADHD?

I came across this website while on an ever so frequent ADHD episode sitting at my desk. I welcome any comments that can further my knowledge, or possibly help me, or others in anyway. Thanks in advance.

I was diagnosed with ADHD many years ago when I was 4 years old. My pediatrician put me on Ritalin, and I can still remember the negative side affects I had from that drug. My parents opted to take me off, and just let me deal with my ADHD.
I was able to manage dealing with ADHD throughout my school years, and make above average grades the entire time. It was extreemly difficult at times, but achievable.  
I should mention that I have an above average IQ and Score Highly on standardized testing, and other tests also. I don't remember my SAT scores, but they were high enough to get me into my college of choice. When I considered the military a few years back I scored a 93 on the ASVAB. I was told I could sign up for any military position I wanted to pursue. (I disclose this for informational purposes only, not to boast)

I dropped out of college after my freshman year at age 19 to pursue my career, however went back when I was 25 because I felt like my career was at a plateau with little to no room for growth. I always had at least one full time job while in college, and made exceptional grades until receiving my Bachelor of Fine arts a couple of years ago. BFA instead of just a Bachelors probably stems from my creative side, I am told creativity is higher for persons with ADHD. I did pretty well with school and work until the end of my Junior year. During my junior year with my job, and the heavy school work load I found myself getting behind, and had to pull all nighters for days at a time to cram weeks worth of procrastination into a short window of time to ensure my grades. This continued throughout my senior year all the way to graduation. During this time I took random ADHD medicines borrowed from other students to concentrate enough to get the work done.
Since graduation I have started a new career, had a baby, and am doing ok at my job. I would LOVE to do better, but ADHD, forgetfulness, and procrastination always seem to get in the way of me being as successful as I could and should be.
My work load is pretty intense, demanding, and organization is a must. I have always been a hard worker, but procrastination, disorganization, forgetfulness, and being easily distracted have been getting the best of me.

About four months ago I decided to finally go to a Doctor, and get back on some type of ADHD medicine. He started me off on a very low dose of generic adderall (adderrall), (10mg not xr)and has monitored my weight, actions, etc since I started. I am now taking 20 mg in the morning, 9:30am and another 10mg at about 1:30pm. (still not the xr per my request)
With 10mg I noticed no effect at all. With 20 I could feel the effect, but not well or for very long. At 30 mg I can feel the effect, but I still cant seem to concentrate for very long, I'm still easily distracted,  and my memory is only a little better, and the effect/help still only lasts for a short while.

I do notice some of the negative effects of the drug, such as random sweating, mild mood swings, irritability, mild anxiousness, and I drink ALOT of water throughout the day.  I can totally deal with the side effects as long as  my memory, concentration, procrastination, etc get better.

Next month I go back to the Doctor for another evaluation to see how the adderall (adderrall) is working. I would love some advice on what I should ask for. Either a higher dose, maybe an xr, or different ADHD drug all together. I ask the doctor about a different drug during my last visit, and he frowned upon the idea of changing the drug. Any suggestions??

I will also say that I am a regular Marijuana user. By regular I mean daily, or multiple times a day as long as I have it available. I have been a regular user for the past 15 years, since I was 15. I have always thought that it helped my ADHD, and especially helped my creative side while in school. It is possible I guess that I have made myself believe it helps when it really does not, but that is unlikely.
I feel very little, to no negative side effects from smoking. I don't get social anxiety, I feel it helps me concentrate and be creative, and I really just love the feeling of being high. :-) I also don't get lazy or lethargic after smoking, it is usually quite the opposite. I will typically want to organize something, or clean something, or want to go accomplish something just after smoking, and I am almost always extra creative when high.
I will say that it helps me relax after a long day at work, but never in a lazy way, it simply calms me down, and helps me relax.

Since I have started taking adderall (adderrall), I have noticed that I sometimes feel a stronger desire to smoke marijuana, but if I don't have it available, I don't freak out, or have withdrawals or anything. I also haven't noticed anything strange if I take 30mg of adderall (adderrall), then smoke. I actually like both better when combined.

So I said all of that, and gave what feels like my life story to ask for advice. What can I take to help my ADHD, forgetfulness, procrastination, and being easily distracted? More adderall (adderrall)? I need to figure it out soon. I have a great opportunity with my current career, and I would love to do better, and be better all around.

Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for your advice!
    Sorry, I am so late in responding to you.  Got an excellent post which caused me to do a bit of research.  Glad I did it as I think the post will also be helpful to you.  
   go to this link - http://www.medhelp.org/posts/ADD---ADHD/my10yr-old-daughter-diagnosed-with-ADD/show/1903625#post_8874174    and check out the post by fiddlesteven.  go to all of his suggested links.
   The only good idea that I can think of for your doctor not wanting to try any different drugs is that he wants to give adderall (adderrall) one more chance.  Its only good for about 4 hours anyway.  All of these meds really do take a certain amount of trial and error.  And each med is a little bit different in how it effects people.  If the adderall (adderrall) or adderall (adderrall) XR doesn't do it for you, then definitely try a different med.  I think the doc should be able to lay out a "game" plan for you on what he wants to do.
   By the way, here is an excellent site on how to get the correct amount of meds that you might find helpful.   http://www.corepsych.com/2009/04/adhd-medications-use-the-therapeutic-window-corepsych-radio/
    By the way, there are several very good sites that give great ideas for dealing with ADHD at work.  One is -  http://www.additudemag.com/topic/adult-add-adhd/career-job-help.html
   Another great site for adults is - http://jeffsaddmind.com/for-first-time-visitors
     Finally, I would assume you know that anxiety and depression are fairly strong co-disorders with ADHD.  As a consequence (in my opinion and others) self medication is much higher in the ADHD community - see http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/779755?src=nl_topic
     When your " parents opted to take me off, and just let me deal with my ADHD."  I've got a feeling that you didn't really get the coping skills needed to deal with it and the self medication at age 15 started.  If you can find the right mix of medication and from reading about other people with ADHD or ADD from places like Jeffsaddmind where you can learn other ways to deal with ADHD - hopefully, you won't find the need to self medicate as much.  I can certainly understand the need after a hard days work, but during the day might be pushing the envelope a bit.
   Hope I haven't overwhelmed you with resources.  All of these are worth taking the time to check out.  Please feel free to post again.  I will be very interested in seeing what your doc decides to do next.  Best wishes.