ADD / ADHD Community
What is your suggestion?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

What is your suggestion?

My son is ADHD and has been on Focalin XR 20 mg for some time. He is only 6.
We have tried to change him to other ADHD meds, but it does not work. Even though the Focalin works the best, its not fool proof. I still get frequent calls from the teacher. He refuses to go to speach or he throws his bag. Things he just does not do at home.
My son is extremely smart, but his ADHD still gets in the way. He loves math and puzzles. He has been classified as a logical thinker, but he will need special accommodations for state testings. He is possibly ODD, but Doctor's have not technically classified him as such. This child has several other issues such as a heart murmur, that the cardiologist says it is nothing to worry about (no meds or additional treatment). In addition he has a minor brain cyst. It is time for a new MRI, but I have to get new insurance, as I am no longer employed as of June 5, 2009. This child also has had 2 ear tube surgeries, and  1 eye surgery for Duane's Syndrome Type 1 w/head tilt. This surgery loosened the eye muscle so he did not have to tilt his head so much to focus. The eye doctor did a great job and he does not need glasses.
I have opted to try many natural products, but some of them are not recommended to take with the Focalin.
What would you suggest?
I have looked at this product and it seems to help even with his current medications.
Tell me what you think?
www.mychaga.com/ttrobaugh
What would you suggest?
Tell me what you think?
hopefully i can help. I am 20 years old and had ADHD to the EXTREME growing up. Biting, kicking, and hitting others. i always felt like i had to be in charge. i couldn't sit still for the life of me. Detentions, and notes from teachers for talking. I took medicine too. However after much expirience and talking with my mother helped me! She also has a book i could send to you its called something like How to deal with a child that has ADD/ADHD. I've learned and two with my 9 year old sister now whos going through it.....the biggest thing is to set small goals. Rewarding them when they ARE good is great! However as frustrating as it can be try not to punish hardly when "bad". As a ADHD kid myself i didn't get the concept of how i distracted others. Allowing them to focus there energy on a sport or activity after school will help relieve some of the energy. I know...its hard to think any of it will go away =) a new thing we've been trying on my sister is giving her a quarter everyday that she comes home from school with her "goals complete". it WILL get easier the older they get. I stopped taking medicine on my own in 7th grade and was a phenomonal student in high school. when they get older it becomes a mind over matter thing. They'll understand they make there decisions and don't have to blame it on forgetting there medicine or not taking it. Finally as old as it can get repetition. if the child is young enough they can never hear to much from a parent how great they're doing with this or that. Patience is the hardest thing im sure. i was very good in English and reading not so much math and science. so find what interest them and you'll be amazed how they'll eventually entertain themselves. Sorry this is so long but i hope some of it helps =)