What may be the cause of this?
Hello, I have a question about myself. I have a weird little condition in which I zone out frequently. I can be anywhere, anytime and I get these short episodes of zoning out.. my vision gets blurry and unfocused while I stare at nothing in particular, and my mind starts to get very drowsy, lazy, and unfocused as well... I can't think straight and sometimes I have to force myself to think "snap out of it, now!" but I can't. I have to wait a while until something or someone snaps me out of it, or until the episode ends suddenly. Also, I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I'll provide any info. I seem to have a very good memory, I can remember things from when I was very, very young. Around 3 or 4 years old. I can tell people about certain memories and they say, "wow... I don't even remember that and I was already old by then.." or "my gosh I can't believe you remembered something like that, you were only 3!" I am now 18 years old. Here is another thing. It seems my short term memory is a bit more forgetful. My mom gets very annoyed with me because she will send me to  get her something in, say for example, the bathroom. Go grab the brush for me please. And I hear her perfectly. I nod and go to the bathroom, and right before I even get there, I have forgotten what she has said. Or in another frequent scenario, I would go to the bathroom and grab a bottle of shampoo instead of the brush. Very absentminded. What could be the problem???
    I think those little episodes are worth talking to a doctor about.  Especially, if you really can't force yourself to break out of it.
    The memory thing is not that uncommon and could even be a slight form of ADD.  But those zoning out episodes do bother me a bit.  Its possible it could even be a form of a slight seizure - so its worth finding out.  Have you ever had this problem while driving?
I question the connection between unusually good memory and ADD. I have memories that go back to my learning to walk and even a few that are older than that (confirmed). I have known two other people with this sort of memory and, again, no abnormalities. Then there is the extremely rare person who remembers every single day of his life. No connections to ADD or to any emotional disturbances have been implicated, insofar as I know.
I agree with Sandman2 that you need to see a doctor concerning your brief distortions in consciousness.
   I agree with you on long term memory.  I was talking about short term memory.  People with AD/HD tend to get distracted on the way to do something and can quickly forget what/where they were going.