Which is it ADD/ADHD
My son has ADD or ADHD. I have seen it both ways in his chart. I have tried to figure out which he has..but the docotor who diagnosed him..is no longer within reach...I have tried to read about it...there's alot of info. My son is hyper--but I feel that his level of hyperness is normal for his age. Can anyone break this difference down for me and tips for each would be welcome.
    It would be very helpful to know his age.  For example 5 and 6 year old boys are a force unto them selves.  An 8 year old doing 6 year old things would definitely be a concern.  So one very unscientific standard is to compare him to other children of his age.  And unless you have a lot of kids his age around you - his teacher (if they are experienced) is a decent source for comparative information as to what may be normal or not.  But having said that - some teachers view active children very differently than other teachers who know how to work with active kids.  So yes, it is tough to decide.
    The site link I am listing is one of the best I have found for looking at both types.  The site is - http://helpguide.org/mental/adhd_add_signs_symptoms.htm
   This site also has a lot of good parenting tips to help you help your child.
I would also highly suggest you get the book - "The ADD/ ADHD Answer book," by Susan Ashley.   It will help you regardless of which type he has.  More importantly it will help you work with the schools and also help you help him as he grows up.
    I do understand your concern.  You do treat kids differently if they are have the HD form then you would treat a child who is just moving faster than the rest of the world.  I say that because a child without ADHD really can't control themselves (at an early age).  They have to be taught how to act (which cannot be done by punishment).  While a child without ADHD has the ability to control their impulses (given the proper modifications).  ADHD kids can do the same.  It just takes a lot more work.
    Hope this helps.  Please post if you have any more questions.  And I do have a ton of resources that can help you.  Best wishes!