ADD / ADHD Community
Why

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

Why

I am a child who is prescribed add medication that is called metadate similiar to ritalin and upon discovering this site i find it amazing that so many parents want to keep their kids on these drugs im not here to tell u to do anything but my personal experiance with theses drugs is most of the time they are distributed and abused by teens with the prescriptions i had been taking these drugs since 5th grade and by 9th grade i was downing 3-4 to get through the day by that summer i was snorting the drug and became very angry and agitated when not using it when confronted by my mother she asked me why i couldnt just stop my response was you cant take a pill every morning for 5 years and one day forget that you ever had it when snorted or taken in large doses the high is strong and once you come down you want more i personally have quit these drugs and have gone 4 days clean and hating it The drugs do their job but at what price? If i could go back in time i would refuse any add/adhd medication offered to by the doctors
I'm sorry you had such a bad experience.  I highly recommend getting some professional help with your addiction.

These medications are safe when taken as directed.  
thats what i am saying i took it as directed for at least to years wich lead to my addiction and one day i decided one pill a day wont do it anymore you lose the magic and have to take more
That is precisely my point...YOU made the decision to change your dosage and abuse the medication and that is when you crossed the line from taking it as directed to abusing the medication and not using it as directed.  The medication did not make this decision, so blaming the medication doesn't make sense.

It is unfortunate that sometimes they will stop working for no apparent reason.  But, as I mentioned, that is when you go back to the doctor and talk about either changing the dosage or switching medication, or tapering off the medication since you had been on it for a long time.  The doctor can't help you if you don't go in there and say "Look, these aren't working for me anymore, what can be done?"

Unfortunately, you made the decision to take more than you were supposed to, and then decided to start snorting it- which I imagine took you to a whole new level of addiction where you were no longer seeking treatment for ADHD, but looking to get high.

I don't mean to sound harsh at all.  I am truly concerned for those who end up abusing these medications, because it can be as hard to quit as crack-cocaine plus it gives ADHD meds an undeserved bad rap.

What I am trying to say, is that addiction usually lies within the person, not the drug of choice.  Addictive personalities tend to gravitate from one addiction to another, and often blame everything but themselves in the process.
Addictive people also tend to abuse certain painkillers, alcohol, cold medication, the list goes on and on.

You simply used what you had available.  If you didn't have stimulant medication, you could well have been addicted to something else instead.  

By the way, I am not judging you, my husband is a crack addict!  (almost 5 years clean)
This is probably because cocaine/crack acts on dopamine in the brain, flooding it with "feel-good" chemicals, causing a "high".  ADHD meds are designed to increase dopamine as well, and he was never diagnosed until age 37!  Up until then he used drugs of various kinds to self medicate.  As a result of HIS decisions, he can not take stimulants for his ADHD because of the risk of addiction/abuse.

You seem like an intelligent person, and realize you need to quit.  Admitting that you are addicted is the first step.  That is why I HIGHLY recommend having professional help (therapist, doctor whatever) to help you stay clean.  Preferably someone who is familiar with addictions.  It might be more difficult than you realize.  Narcotics Anonymous might be useful.

In the meantime, be very watchful of any cravings, mood swings, irritability, feeling superior to others, depression and/or suicidal thoughts, increase in anxiety, etc that might indicate you are heading for relapse.  Watch out for other addictions that you might turn to in order to relieve your cravings (typical addictions are alcohol, sex/porn, bad relationships, cigarettes, even coffee can be problematic for some, etc).

Although I have studied mental health in university, I am NOT a professional, I speak mostly from personal experience so take my advice and opinions as a peer.

I truly, truly wish you luck in your recovery!
Thank you