Worried about long term effects of Adderall
I have been reading about the effects of Adderall.  I have noticed in my son and step-son both that they have dispayed some signs of Autism.  I was wondering if it was a possibility that it could be another long term adverse effect of the Adderall?   They have become very nervous and fidgety, neither were before taking this medication. My step-son has the most severe sypmtoms.
Do any of your doctors test you to be sure you're on the right dose for you?
I was taking Adderall XR10 for ten years, when It didn't feel right anymore. I got re-tested (T.O.V.A) and found that I do better on XR5 now. My brain feels so much better, now.
First off, I applaud you for posting your message, as it is very informative and truthful, whether people know that or not.  I never thought I would post on this issue either, but I feel like it has gotten out of control and something needs to be done.  

I am a 26 year old, second year doctoral student studying physical therapy at a major university.  I hated school my entire life and made mediocre grades all throughout high school and junior college, but somehow got it together and was accepted into a PT (physical therapy) program despite the fact that it is easier to get into medical school than physical therapy school. Even though I made it in, I had a gut feeling that I wouldn't be able to study the way that I needed to in this program so I purposely went to a psychiatrist in the hopes of getting diagnosed with ADD so that I would be prescribed adderal.  

It is worth it to mention that I was somewhat addicted to methamphetamine in high-school, and although this was 6 years later I am still not sure that it wasn't my addiction talking to me to get this adderal.  Either way, before I started taking adderal at 24 years old, I was a happy, thriving person who had a smile on my face 24 hours a day and generally loved life.  I went out with friends, saw movies, golfed, played recreational sports, and was happy to do anything that people suggested.

Unforunately, even though I am now the second year doctoal student I mentioned earlier, who happens to have a 4.0 GPA and works as a doctoral instructional assistant for my department, I am completely wrecked by my adderall addiction.  

My doctor at the student health center started me on 20 mg. 2x a day.  I quickly realized that this was not enough for me as I was in class from 8am-5pm daily and then studied at the libary until 10pm daily.  She quicly upped meo 30 mg. 3 x day, which is a lot more than I have ever heard of anyone being prescribed.  I don't know if it was my inner addiction to methamphetamine calling me or the fact that it really wasn't working anymore, but either way I was prescribed an insane amount per day.

One week after this happened, my life went to hell.  I went from being the happy, talkative, easy going guy; to the angry, anti-social, apathetic piece of **** that I am today.  I haven't been happy a single day in the last year and a half; I have no sex life, even though I have a girlfriend of 5 years who I used to have sex with 5 nights a week; I can't put a smile on my face to save my life; I wake up and the happiest thought I have in my head is what time I get to go to sleep that night; I fight with my girlfriend constantly because she doesn't understand my anger, which neither do I, but for some reason I take it all out on her anyway; I go to sleep angy, wake up angry, and can't do anything without my adderal.  On saturday mornings I need my adderal just to go to the car to get something I left the night before; I need one to go get gas; I need one to go grocery shopping...I NEED ONE TO LIVE!  This is my point, it consumes your life, whether you wanted it or not.  Please don't make the same mistake I did, it is not worth sacrificing your personality!
umm people need to first start off by realizing ADD *adhd does not exist anymore* is called attention deficit DISORDER it is a disordernot a disease at the heart of this it is really just a discipline issue and you can deny it all you want aderral is just a stimulant like anything else a very good one at that so when you take it naturally you excell at whatever it is your doing. Now for those worried about side effects ive been on it ever since i was 7 years old im now 19 thats 12 years and i have had no adverse side effects BUT thats not to say you cant stimulants are widly known to cause paranoia and hypocondria just understand these risks. decide for yourself if its worth it. dont ask people online i just gave you all the facts YOU decide and YOU deal with the negative or positive side effects of being on this drug and it is a drug and to those of you who are saying your doctor got you hooked dont kid yourself aderral is not in the least bit addictive physically i came off it after dosing myself for 6 years in highschool for a month and had only cravings no physical withdrawl in the end what this drug really does is based upon how YOU are as a person YOU decide if its right for you or not
Well said Josh!  it's all about self control.
   If only it was that simple.  Josh is living proof that what is a stimulant to the normal population is not to the population with AD/HD.  Aderall is a highly addictive drug to the normal population.  It is not considered to be addictive to the population with AD/HD because it does not give them the "rush" that it gives to the normal population.  Josh did not feel the side effects because the drug did what it was supposed to do for him.  
  And now that Josh is old enough to have control/self discipline and no longer needs the medication - he stopped using it.  Kudos to him!  I do hope he realizes that it is a very different story for a 6 year old to practice the same kind of self discipline that he has.  I also hope that he realizes that you have AD/HD for life.  Its how you deal with it that counts.  If things start getting difficult for him later on - there are a lot of things he can do without going back on to the medication.
Been on Adderall for around 5 years and have never had any effects except that I am able to concentrate and be able to function without my mind being " allover the place"  I even sometimes find I have to take a nap while on it, I was diagnosed with ADD and feel that if you actually do have ADD you will not get the side effects people are speaking about.  I stopped the drug myself for many months only because my Doctor retired and  I have to find another Doctor who treats ADD. No withdrawal or side effects when I stopped  or now.
I am an 18 year old female prescribed Adderall 30mg XR once daily.  I find that sometimes I will feel the effects of the drug, but others hardly at all.  I was prescribed nearly 6 months ago after being diagnosed with Adult ADD. I have always questioned being ADD, but finally got evaluated when college became more of a struggle.  I have lost around 15 pounds and notice other side effects that I want to address with my psychiatrist.  The come down is the most dreaded part of my day and I find myself hoping I don't crash (emotionally) before going to bed or going out (drinking.)  I was also given antidepressants (Zoloft) before the Adderall but terminated use when I started on the Adderall.  Hopelessness, heightened irritation, worry, and insomnia are all present during come down. I still have the Zoloft that was prescribed and am curious whether that will decrease the severity of my emotional instability when coming off the Adderall if I begin taking it again.  While there are obvious cons to taking this medication, there is still a lot to be said about the positive effects I have noticed since taking it.  Any general advice to lessening the come down would be appreciated. :)
IT IS BANNED IN AUSTRIA

NOT ALLOWED< NO ONE IS ON IT  !
    I think an important question is did the, "Hopelessness, heightened irritation, worry, and insomnia," exist before you started the meds.    The reason I wonder is that I have seen very few posts on here during the last 4 years where that was a problem.  Typically, as the meds leave your system,  you revert back to the unmedicated state - If you have AD/HD.  If you don't have AD/HD then its a whole different story as you are going through a withdrawal stage.   In any event, I do think that this is important enough to discuss with your doctor.
   Now if you had these sensations or something like these sensations before (maybe the reason why you were prescribed the Zoloft), then this would make sense.  The med you are taking will help concentration - worry and anxiety is something else.  And it is very possible that the worry and anxiety is a byproduct of ADD (which studies show), and just taking the med will not eliminate those problems.  And while the Zoloft will help, what you really need is to understand what ADD is and what it can do to you.
    There are two very good sites that deal with adult ADD.  I think you really need to do a bit more research on the whole issue.  The first site was actually a recent PBS special.  Its all done in short video clips (which drives me crazy).  Its -   **********.com
  The second site is by someone with ADD and it reflects his condition to some extent.  It has a ton of information.  Don't try and take it all in in one sitting.  But I think that you will find it very helpful.  Is - http://jeffsaddmind.com/for-first-time-visitors
    I hope this helps.  Please post if you have other questions or need more resources.  Best wishes!
great response to the ranting. i completely agree.
My parents put me on Ritalin when I was 6, and it ruined my life. I am now 26 and I cannot work because of the disabling treatment-resistant depression and fatigue that I have as a result of being on the drug for years. ADD drugs are not a solution, they are a quick fix. They do work which is why people use them, but when they stop working your child will be left with not only ADD but depression, too. That is what happened to me, and I am not alone. I am finding more and more people to whom this has happened. This is because Ritalin and other stimulant ADD drugs (Concerta, Adderall, Vyvanse, Dexadrine, etc) work on the dopamine system which is not only responsible for attention but pleasure, too. The drug has the same mechanism of action as cocaine and the result of long-term use is the same. The drug works for a while and then the person develops a tolerance to the drug and more is needed to achieve the same result. Then the person cannot even feel pleasure without the drug. And finally even the drug doesn't do much to alleviate the person's depression because the dopamine system has been too disrupted. And that is where I am now. I cannot feel pleasure. I resent the fact that I am even still alive, but I have chosen to keep living so that I can warn parents about these medications. I would rather be a school drop-out than live the way that I live now. At least as a school drop-out I would be able to enjoy being alive. Maybe I wouldn't have a great job, but I would at least be able to work and feel pleasure in life. Many ADD kids can become successful adults without medication. They just have to find their niche. I know many people who did not take meds who are thriving in the life paths that they have chosen. Please visit my website www.ritalinawareness.com  and read my story and the research that I have presented on how long-term prescription stimulant use can lead to depression. You can also read about alternatives to medication on my site. There are so many supplements and other brain-training activities that can work for ADD.
Like many have posted on here, if Adderall makes you hyper or excited than you most likely do not have ADD.  An ADD mind has been proven to be structurally different than a normal brain and the use of stimulants in the RIGHT DOSE actually calms the mind and relaxes you.  

Before taking Adderall I was mis-diagnosed as having anxiety issues and prescribed Librium, a very powerful relaxer.  I get a much less powerful, yet similar sensation with taking Adderall.  My doctor has patients who need Adderall just to fall asleep to help them relax or else their minds race all night.

Adderall is HIGHLY over prescribed. I was fortunate enough to find a local clinic that specializes in ADD, and they report that 60% of patients that visit them with a diagnosis of ADD from other clinics are WRONG! Unfortunately for those 60% they are taking an extremely addictive drug that has totally the wrong affects on the brain.  

PLEASE SEE AN ADHD SPECIALIST!
Please don't give your children that poison. It is legal speed, with a high similar to methamphetamine. I was perscribed it from age 8-15, when I finally realized what it was doing to me, I stopped taking it immediately. An eight year old does not have the ability to gauge a drug's effect on their personalities, emotions, and overall mental health. They just do not possess that kind of insight at that age. It took me until I was 15 to realize that I was paranoid, anorexic, anxious, depressed, irritable, emotionally unstable, threw up at any sort of physical exercise, had a bad taste in my mouth, dry hands and lips, and constantly on edge because of this drug. When I stopped taking it, my personality completely changed. I got to be who I really was, sober, without mind-altering chemicals in my brain. I felt cheated that I had never been allowed to discover this before. Also, since I have ADD and a history of addiction and alcoholism in my family, I am predisposed to have similar issues myself. Taking this powerful intoxicant got my brain used to being stimulated as such, and a few poor life choices and I became a full-blown drug addict. It took me so much time and effort to get my life back together, and I feel like those amphetamines kind of triggered the addictive part of my brain whereas if I had been allowed to learn to discipline myself without drugs that part of my brain would have remained untouched. I wonder how different my life would have been, if I would have been normal like my sister. If your children have any sort of predisposition to the disease of addiction, it is so risky to give them these kinds of meds. Please exercise the utmost caution. I have seen some horrible things in my life and hate to think of children going through the same things.

There are other alternatives to treating ADHD--please look at this website, it talks about these computer programs that are controlled by brain waves, and they basically create new neurological pathways in the brain to help concentration, focus and mental discipline, and it has been shown to be very helpful with depression and ADHD.

Also, look at what it's supposed to do, this adderall and all other stimulant ADHD medications: increase motivation, focus, and concentration. These are not just things that some kids are born with and some are not. They are cultivated life skills. There is no quick fix to give your child these things, they can't just put them in a pill and suddenly your child will be normal. They aren't sick, their brains just work in a different way and they need more guidance and help organizing and disciplining themselves. I'm not saying ADHD doesn't exist, I'm just saying that a pill won't fix your children's behavioral problems.
Oops forgot to put the website http://www.*************************.com/adhd-educational-software.html
Most of the posts on this board are shockingly ignorant. All these kids who say that adderall has ruined their lives--we feel bad for you. Your stories are important and we should hear them and consider the reason why their lives have been so terribly disrupted.

However, these people need to sit back and realize that their personal stories are simply that: personal stories. Their experiences are not gospel no matter how much conviction is in their vitriolic spew. It is better for the overall health of the board if people do not post "facts" about this drug, because everything is 100% subjective. This drug works for people. It doesn't work for others. I wish for these people that they relinquish their anger towards the drug and learn a modicum of respect and responsibility. These people very well may have gotten the short end of a stick but we all have, and that's why we are on this board. Go get help, go to rehab, and read. Read a lot. Read about other people's experiences until you truly understand your place in the world and the spectrum of experience.
I have been taking time released 10mg 2 times a day 14 yrs I have noticed some addiction to it or so I thought but I was wrong!
    As I got older I thought the medicine was doing everything for me so I got the thought in my head,I need this,I guess every day to be normal. As time went by I would feel tired or depressed as some have wrote,but after doing a lot of thinking about it. I noticed I was relying on the medicine to much to motivate me. I had become lazy minded I guess you could say.
        I have sense then have put forth the effort  to be more. The medicine does help with focusing more. It is when!  u think it is the medicine doing it all, u feel addicted.   try not to think about the medicine. Try and keep yourself active,but not to active!
I find that if I live a active and healthy life style I feel really good like ''balanced!'' Eat healthy to.the medicine tends to curve you appetite. I HOPE THIS HELPS SOME OF YOU WITH YOUR ISSUES! ''I HAVE ONLY BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH ADHD.
I'm not sure if anyone is going to see this, but I'll tell my story on why I thin adderall is the worst thing ever and has messed up my brain. I'm only 18, and when I was 17 I started taking the little 10millagram pills. I was fine with those, and so I moved to the 30 mil capsule. The first two times I took that I was fine, I would get sad but I still felt the same when it wore off. Then about 6 months ago I took another 30 mil capsule (Yes I know it's nothing, and I sound like a *****) and I haven't ever felt the same since then. I feel like my mind is in a fog 24-7, and I space out all the time. It ***** and I'm sick of it. I don't know if I should take another one to see what happens, or keep taking the bs pills the doctors give me which are no help.
   David, the pills are completely out of your system in one day.  Something that you took 6 months ago is not going to have any effect now.  However, the feeling that you are describing sounds like what the pills might eliminate.  At any rate, this is something that you need to discuss with your doctor.
It's helpful to remember most of the trolls on these sorts of threads are also members of certain pharmacological versions of E.L.F. and P.I.T.A.

Just listen to your doctor and a few of the stimulant-salt-vets. I started taking Adderall with a fairly significant dosage (40 - 60 mg/day) prescribed. I often don't need the afternoon boost (that's the 20mg bump to the 40 I take in the A.M. if needed). It's been very stable to me. My focus remains solid after a year. I also sleep more soundly. It should be said, however, I take 200mg of Lamictal in addition.

Take the words of naysayers with a grain of salt...stimulant-variety or otherwise ;)
I was given 30mg a day and used as directed by my doctor for about 5 years.  It was great for the first 3, everything was normal, I was doing better in school, I was more outgoin, and generally more responsible.  After year 4, however, I started noticing some negative side effect: anxiety, paranoia, mood swings, depression; all risks the doctors informed me of as did any information I read on the stuff.  I shrugged it off and told myself it was everything except the drug that was wrong and continued to take it for 2 more years until I just could handle the stress anymore.  It made me a zombie, I couldn't feel anything or from genuine thoughts, but I was still very alert in the sense of being awake but not able to concentrate.  I stopped taking it.  Withdrawl set in immediately coupled with depression and all the other negative crap that goes with it.  That lasted for the better part of 5 months and it tooke me another year and a half to really feel normal again and be able to feel happy.  I never abused it , rarely skipped a dosage, and get good tabs on its effects.  Some people just don't mix well with these substances.  I have friends who have taken it regularly for years and are fine, while I have other friends with experiences like mine.  
To sum it all up, starting out on a low doese, like a responsible doctor should advise, is fine for a few months.  See how you react with it and keep very good notes on its postive and negative effects.  All this talk about addiction is misleading.  You won't become physically dependant or mentally addicted on this substance after just a month of moderated usage, that's ridiculous.  But it can happen over the course of several months to a year, it really just depends on the individual and how you react to regular use of a mind altering substance.  And anyone who convinces themselves that taking a being on this drug is a "normal" way to feel is an idiot.  Its a stimulant and a powerful one at that.  Its designed to enhance neural activity beyond normal operating capacity so in my humble opinion its something that should not be used long term, or if it is, its not to be taken lightly.  There are risks, I and several others here are examples of that, but there can be great benefits to taking this drug.  And to all those going through that withdrawl phase, its awful but it does get better.  Your body and brain just need time to recover, it took me 2 years to start to feel like my old self again and even longer to remember what that meant but it did happen.  Just keep in mind that the way you're feeling is the result of a correction your brain is trying to make and not that the world is against you.  Good luck everyone
After reading everything written on here I'd figure I'd share my two cents. I'm a 26lot year old woman who has been on adderall for almost 6 years (given a month or so every year I wouldn't be on it just bc it was summer). I take 30mg of XR once a day. Of course it had nothing it's minor side affects, but nothing extreme. I'm not a person who gets addicted to drugs, but I started noticing a change in my behavior, my hands shaky, depressed at times, and here's what scared me, I starting taking 2 pills then up to 3 bc my body started to build a tolerance for the medication and the obvious addiction. I was never the type who would curse at my parents when in a disagreement. I don't call them names, I just curse and lash out. I started noticing that the smallest things annoy me. Here's what topped it off and scared the crap out of me, I not only have the issue of forgetting a simple word in a conversation I now have a minor stuttering problem. It's not all the time but it's an issue that bothers me and embarrassing at the same time. Any ideas on why/how I ended up with a slight stuttering problem? I'm very active in sports, gym, musical instruments, etc. My memory isn't like before, it's not that bad I'm noticing a decrease. I'm done with taking adderall, today is my last day. I can't sit here and blame anyone or thing, I just don't like what it's starting to do to me. I don't want to go through life depending on medication, granite I'm depressed at times but I refuse to take depression pills. I control myself, my mind, me. I used to meditate a lot (been doing so since I was 14) and will now make it a constant routine. It breaks my heart when I curse at my parents and can see the hurt in their eyes. I'm just adding frivolous stress to their life as well as my own. Sorry for the rant. I guess my main question is the stuttering. I've noticed after reading all the posts that I obviously don't have a severe ADD problem, if that was case I would've been diagnosed a long time ago. It was a great drug at the time but it slowly started to have adverse affects on me and got me hooked out of the blue. For those who haven't had any major side affects, I'm happy for you. But it's not for me, not anymore. Just keep an I eye on your child's behavior as time goes on, I would suggest natural supplements for young kids, not adderall.
LOL at all the long posts about adderall... go figure. I took adderall for 7/8 years and would not recommend this drug to anyone. Period. It's great at first and then you wake up one day and realize you're a speed freak. Definitely don't give this stuff to your children. Good Day.
my daughter is on adderall. 30mg.she has been on adhd medicine since she was 5...she is 14 now....it works great for her...with out it she is very hyper and cant really control her emotions...acts younger than she is..or she is very excited....but i did realize then sometimes she forgets her medicine..or theres a laps while waiting to get her presctiptions...she has withdrawl symptoms after about 3 days....on her second day she gets very sleepy...3rd day she gets shakey..headakes and pukes..she gets very sleepy...she also wants to eat all day long when not on her medicine..she has been on it for almost 10 yrs...she definitly withdrawls..i think anyone who will be taking there kids off this medicine who have been on it many years should ween them off it...not just stop cold turkey..but for my daughter this medicine does work..
After reading over half of these entries I decided I needed to post one of my own.  I am 25/yr old female who has been diagnosed with ADD, and it also runs in my family.  Not only do I have ADD, but I suffer from both anxiety/panic attacks.  I realize that their is relationship with the medication of adderall and anxiety, but I was experiencing the severe anxiety way before I was medicated for adderall (20 mg).  Now I am a strong believer that all Drugs/ Substances affect people differently! This is obvious to me because every person is different, our brain chemistry is different...no two people are identical.  So even if their is a common disability such as ADD, and people are taking a common medication such as adderall...it doesnt mean it is going to effect them in the same exact way...and this goes for both the pro's and the con's.    Ive been on my medication now for about two years and have been on the fence with attempting to get off it, but it is a struggle.  I do have ADD, such as a VERY short attention span, impulsivness, scatterbrained, disorganization, overly social, get bored easily...etc etc..  Which can make life very difficult at times...especially with all the tasks "the man, and the world makes you do..."  I find that the medicine does help me to focus better, put me in the zone, be more organized, attentive, quieter....which I mean there are pro's and cons to both sides of the spectrum.   I am a musician/artist...I find most people that are in the artistic realm or creative mind commonly coincide with people that are ADD...so when I'm not taking my medication I am more outgoing, and free spirited and creative...and people/myself love this about me...But I guess with everything you have to take the BAD with the GOOD....Does the Good outweigh the BAD or does the BAD outweigh the GOOD???  I guess thats the main question...I also fear and worry the side effects and long term affects that it has on the brain and my brain chemistry.  I currently have not taken my medication for about a week while used to taking 20 mg EVERY DAY..and Ive been on a mental emotional physical roller coaster...and not a good one.  I have really bad anxiety, I feel off, I feel tired, unfocused, dislexic , "Darkclouded/detached"  ...so I don't know...I have experienced these symptoms before as I have said I do suffer from anxiety/panic disorder....Sometimes I just want to get off EVERYTHING all together but I don't know if I can, should, what the negative outcomes will be....just writing this entry I already feel all over the place, so I hope it makes sense to some.  Im also a very deep thinker, emotional, analytical, and spiritual.....so sometimes I wonder if it has anything to do with those factors.  At the end of the day, I really just try to pray to God and hope he gives me an answer or supernaturally heals me.  Now I know some people  possibly "non christians" think Im off my rocker now because Ohhhh noo I mentioned God!  But no...Im not crazy, and Im not knocking anyones beliefs...Sometimes it just all seems like such a tasks...ya know GUYS???  Its like we didn't pop out of the womb needing medication and doctors and all this stuff....and then WHAT HAPPEND???  Im still so unsure of it all, and what Im going to do about my situation...any questions, comments, concerns??? Would love to hear them!    One Love and God Bless you All!  
you were being niave. Not everyone is the same. and it sounds to me you took extra and extra not because of the drug itself but because of the effects. the drug is not bad it helps people concentrate. people that see the drastic change in their work habits may take an extra fine liking to the drug and start to take more to further the effects. amphetamines when taken regularly block the recycling of dopemines in the brain causing them to be washed away instead of reused. this, in turn, lowers the amount of dopemine the brain has to release causing a person that is seeking that dramatic change to think that more is needed to get it. and it isnt because the brain simply cannot produce that stimulation. if taken properly and with self consciousness it is helpful for everyday tasks dealing with focus. obviously you have been mislead by you past doctors that are clearly abusing powers for money. i have had this happen and so have many others. it is not the doctors fault or the governments fault. it is in part but the responsibilty mostly falls on your shoulders and clearly you let it get the best of you. drug arent bad. people are bad. its kinda like how guns dont kill people, people kill people.
Yes, if you're on the wrong meds and they're causing horrible effects, then by all means, get off of them, and if your providers won't listen to your desire to try other meds or other types of treatment, then get different ones who will.

That being said, stimulant therapy does help most children and adults with AD/HD. Some have other neuro issues in addition or other physiological reasons that stimulants might not work or might have intolerable side effects.

Remember that AD/HD is usually diagnosed behaviorally, that is, by a provider who observes the signs of it. Most providers aren't doing a full neuropsych testing battery, often because insurance won't pay for it. So, a lot of people are getting the AD/HD diagnosis when they actually have other issues that are causing AD/HD symptoms (could be an anxiety disorder, hormonal disorder, trauma symptoms, childhood depression, sensory processing disorder -- the list goes on and on). For these folks who don't actually have the biochemistry of AD/HD, stimulants help some of them manage their AD/HD-like symptoms, but for other folks, it doesn't help or makes things worse.

If you can find a way to pay for it, I would suggest doing ongoing therapy with a psychologist, counselor (expressive therapist if for a child), and/or an occupational therapist. Doing ongoing work with these folks and having them really get to know you will help you get a more accurate diagnosis as to whether it's really AD/HD or whether there are other issues. A psychiatric prescriber who sees you a few times for a short visit can often correctly diagnose you, but often also is missing part of the picture because s/he doesn't usually have the benefit of talking or playing with patients for an hour a week to get to really know them. Once you have a clearer diagnostic picture, then the ongoing therapist can report to the prescriber and get you on meds that more accurately target your issues.
Thanks for your feedback you guys...

The night that I wrote this entry like I had said, I was having really bad withdrawl symptoms after stopping taking my medication cold turkey...while usually being prescribed 20mg a day for about 2 yrs....I was only off of it for about a week or so, and as I know your not supposed to stop any medication you take long term like that cold turkey, but the prescribed tablet adderall I was prescribed to was on backorder and then just recently was taken off the market.  Well I told my mom the feelings I was experiencing all the research I was reading about adderall that really freaked me out and made me even MORE ANXIOUS...Made me want to get off of it...well she took my script to the doc. and he put me on the XR instead which I guess I not off the market...and its still different then Im used too, and Im still feeling unbalanced...sometimes it works good and other times it doesnt or makes me anxious or cloudy...I don't know if its too high of a dosage..or Im not used to it or what??? Because I literally took my previously prescribed 20 mg adderall tablet once a day..and I usually would split it in half and take half in the morning and the other half later on in the day...so now that Im taking 20 mg XR is that why its making me feel like this?   Also what is considered, "Long term Use?"  Is two years Long term?  Is it time I get off?  Also I do not have health insurance so its expensivd as hell to go to the doctor every time, since I just recently moved back home and had to switch doctors my first visit was $100 and every additional visit will be $50!  Im still thinking maybe I should just get off them all together, but Im scared and I don't know what to do...
I have ADHD and I have an 8 year old son that has Autism. He isn't medicated but I take Adderall 10mg 3x a day. If your sons are in the early stages of taking the medication they will show symptoms of nervousness until they are used to the effects. They will go away but autistic children on stimulants can be a good thing or a bad thing. If they were hyper or unable to focus before it should help in a few weeks or months but if they were perscribed Adderall for autism you should get a 2nd opinion by a Psychiarist or a Nerologist whom specialize in disorders of the mind.
i personaly agree with what you wrote. I am 20 and was put on adderall from 5-17. it caused serever joint pain, panic attacks, and bad mood swings. i do agree kids should not be put on adderall
    Have you had any panic attacks or anxiety since going off the med?
well, I was told I had ADD in the 7th grade. At the time it it cost too much for my mother to have me tested and I told her not to do. Again freshman yr of college one of my professors asked me about it again. Long story short I was test for it at my university and at a Dr. office. The outcome was yes you have ADD. I've been taking 30 mg  once a day for 6yrs. Never any more then that! No, weight loss or gain ( to me is a good thing). I don't know if it's just me but it works. I would suggest to listen to your dr. I did have a few minor side effect at first but it was because they were trying to find the right dose and were using other med. than adderall. For the dry mouth thing just chew gum all day and make sure to drink a lot of water!  Good luck everyone!
Oh yeah and for the parents who have kids with ADD or ADHD check out this web pg http://www.drugs.com/pro/adderall-xr.html
Good luck to all!
P.S. If your Dr. has you on more than 30 RX mg a day I would suggest finding  a new Dr.
    Very good comments.  Welcome to this site.  I hope you keep sharing your information with us.  Its always good to hear from those personally involved.  By the way there are a variety of reasons why a person might be on more than 30 mgs a day - most dealing with the uptake of the med.  So it is possible that there is a valid need for a larger dose - we are all different.
There are facts about the damage these drugs do. I have compiled studies on my website ritalinawareness.com if you care to read it. We are talking about our experiences with these drugs so that parents have another perspective about the medications so that they can make an informed decision. The bottom line is that if the child doesn't feel right on the drug, then the child should not have to take it. Both me and nataliepk had bad experiences when we were on the drug and the doctors didn't listen or intervene to get us off the drug. If the drug really works for someone, good. The major problem comes when the child is suffering on the drug and the doctors are ignoring it.    
I've been prescribed adderrall for 6 years. Personally I don't think any parents should allow there child to take amphetamines & after all of the different highs and lows I've had from the drug I couldn't imagine how a kid in elementary school would benefit from this.. I was diagnosed with add when I was 8 & i struggled with my grades but I managed. I  wish that adderrall wouldn't have ever been an option for me because I definitely have the same problems as everyone above.
     Welcome to the world of adult ADD.  Pretty classic stuff.   Some thoughts.
Ya, the grammar does drive me a bit nutty - but you should see the posts on the child behavior sites.   I tend to think that those people with a better education have more money and thus get doctors who actually give a damn and do more then just hand out pills.   Thus, they are less likely to post here cause they got docs who take the time to inform them what is going on.  
   I have seen numerous adult posts where they have been able to use the adderall on demand.  Either by taking it at a certain time of the day or when some really important event was going on.  
   I also think that the more you learn about adult ADD, the more you will learn how to understand and thus compensate for it.  There are two good adult ADD sites that I know of.  They are a little difficult to navigate and not  as personal as this, but they have a ton of info and plenty of people who are going through what you are going through.    http://jeffsaddmind.com/for-first-time-visitors         would be my first choice to check out - but it will eat  up your time.  Its almost addicting.  The second site is totallyadd.com and also has a ton of info.   In both of the sites check out the sections on what it like to have ADD - you will find your self mentioned there a lot.
     Finally, sites like Jeffs have now been posting for 5 years.  You will find people with med experiences that will be helpful to to.
    Thanks for posting and if we can answer any more questions, please feel free to post.  Or, if you have anything to share about your journey - please do so.  Best wishes.
yea, like any other drug you feel AMAZING at first, even the first few years give it time. All it is; is clean meth.
I just wanted to let you know that you are spot on in regard to what you said.  I am a licensed independent psychotherapist and I have seen the symptoms of many disorders in many people.  The symptoms of ADHD can look just like bipolar disorder.  Any stimulant for ADHD is a paradoxical medication.  If you do not have ADHD it will not work the same as it does for someone who actually has the disorder.  And as with any medication, it can effect everyone differently.  I personally have diagnosed both bipolar disorder and ADHD and it is a fairly tedious process.  Many doctors will give individuals medication for a disorder not really knowing what the diagnosis really is.  Sometimes it is very obvious a person has a disorder and sometimes it is a matter of checking the diagnostic criteria over as well as monitoring someone over a period of time to make sure.  
You're coming down. Get over it for Christ's sake. I thought about swallowing the end of a rifle, but that is life and today's society attributing to that perspective. Sleep, get up and move on.
I have been on addrell for over ten years and have tried many other adhd medication.  I am also a coach, run the local CHADD chapter and was a drug and achohol councillor. I am also typing this on my phone so if a crazy word pops up i am blaming auto correct.

After reading the post before mine i will have to say the key here is to take care of your self first. Meds or not. Here are the tips i give everyone on this meds
Adderal makes you dehidreated, dring water.
Adderal works with protein, eat a good protein based brakfast.
Adderal effects your apatite, eat something at each meal. It does not need to be a big meal but you need something.
Always take your meds every day. Personally i do the normal release so i can control my meds. Crazy days i take my fun doseage. Calm, lazy days i talk half or less. But i always take something. This is to advoid withdraw and a crash when i take my full dosage again.

Withdraw *****, it is the caffine headake from hell, moodness, and you are exhausted. Think about it. Your body is expecting a stimulant and you just took it away. You will crave caffine and suger. It can last days or weeks. It deepens on how long and how much. Caffine can help.

This last bit i can not stress enough. Everyone picks there way of medicating there adhd. This can be with caffine, energy drinks and shots, coffee, street drugs, cigs, etc.  It is not the med you get addicted to it is the feeling that you can be "normal" and thrive.  Do what works for you and take care of you. Good luck!!!
   A great answer, but you may not have noticed if you were reading this via your phone that Lisa posted once in 2007 and never posted again - so I doubt that she read your great answer.  Which is a shame because I have an idea of how long it must have taken you to type the post on your phone.
    You can always click on the posters name and see when the last time or how many times they have posted.
     I do hope that you will continue to post here as its nice to have someone else with experience.
The misinformation and displaced anger exhibited in threads like these is shocking. One wouldn't take a grandparent's blood pressure pills, pass out and drop to the floor a few times and conclude the drug is dangerous. Similarly, one wouldn't take a neighbor's chemotherapy pills, end up near death in an emergency room, then claim the drug manufacturer is selling poison. Just as one wouldn't take someone else's siezure medication, experience terrifying side effects, and announce to the world that no one should take it.
No, those absurd reactions would be as stupid as someone taking a pharmaceutical designed only for definitive ADD, experiencing side effects, then proclaiming no one should ever take it.
The medical journals regarding this topic are very explicit: more than half of those currently taking prescribed ADD meds have been diagnosed incorrectly and/or are on the wrong medication. For those lacking in statistical skill, logical application, or common sense, this means you can completely ignore the majority of negative posts on this topic.
Personally, I owe the last eleven years of my adult life to this compound, and to the doctors who correctly diagnosed and prescribed it for my condition. I am SO grateful to have been born at a time in human history when imbalances or conditions such as mine could be recognized and effectively treated. If not, I most certainly would not be alive, healthy, and active today at age 58, enjoying 5 incredible grandchildren, my wonderful wife of 36 years, and still working two full time jobs.
By age 47, I was falling asleep at the wheel, I was in a perpetual state of exhaustion, my body felt like it was falling apart, and I was pretty much losing my will to live. After UNsuccessful outcomes with antidepressants, anti-narcoleptics, and even antischizophrenic drugs, my doctor at the time, had me try straterra, ritalin, then adderal. It was only adderall that fit. I was alert and focused when I needed to be, yet I could/can still fall asleep in under 2 minutes anytime, anywhere, if I can sit somewhere and you let me have a ten minute nap.
I was on 20mg, twice a day, for a couple years. And I've been on 30mg, twice/day for an additional 9 years. I believe the reason I haven't experienced tolerance, and therefore a need to increase the dosage, is I don't take it when I know I'll be doing something very active, plus I'll randomly take half-tabs every so often instead of full tabs. I feel it has helped me to NOT maintain a high, steady-state background level all the time.
Anyway, bottom-line, I feel bad for the sincere posters who have been misdiagnosed and don't know it. I feel sorry for those correctly diagnosed who haven't discovered their optimum treatment. And, what a travesty to those of you who felt the need to abuse perfectly good meds, then blame them on the consequences.
To all the people claiming 2 have withdrawals or addictions 2 Adderall PLEASE get a 2nd opinion bc you must have been misdiagnosed...I am the poster child for the addictive personality I'm 36 I smoke cigs & pot daily drink 2 2ltr diet comes a day & drink a couple times a wk & although I don't seek it out I can't say no if I'm offered cocaine & will keep going til it's gone same goes for ecstasy & hallucinogens BUT I've been on Adderall for @ least 8yrs now & other than being sluggish & unmotivated hav gone days & even wks w/o it & not had ANY withdrawals
Just to add my 2 cents in on this. I have MS. I take 20 MG time released capsules every morning. I have minimal side effects from not taking it. I am very tired as the day goes on but I have NO "craving" for the drug. I try not to take it on the weekends for the simple reason I hate taking any drugs so I avoid them when I can.

The results of taking the Adderall are amazing for ME. I can stay awake all day, organize my thoughts and just function like I should. Without it I am very tired by the end of the day, have trouble remembering, and i am generally unorganized. The side effect of the drug for me is I have trouble sleeping at night.

It a viscous circle for me. I take the Adderall to stay awake during the day and pop a couple of Advill PM to sleep at night.

Overall the side effect are mush less bothersome than not taking anything

As with any drug what works for one won't work for the other so its a trial and error issue. Luckily it work for me!!

Hope this might help someone make an informed decision as to whether or not to take this.
I am on this site because my girlfriend started taking adderall about 6 months ago. She has ADD and her boss was getting on her that she would lose her job if she did not become more organized and focused. She warned me before she started taking it that she had been on it previously and had quit taking it because it made her depressed, moody and that could no longer orgasm while on these meds. Well that is exactly what has happened. She lashes out all the time....our sex life took an immediate dump.....she is very depressed all the time. I have told her to get off the meds or the relationship is over. I feel like i'm in love with a crazy person since she started taking adderall. The only thing it does for her is help her exceed at work. Her work is happy with her but the quality of her personal life has gone down hill. I hate what this drug has done to her. NOBODY should be taking speed! .... I don't care what your diagnosis is or how much it helps someone in school or work....hell speed would help anyone with that...it's speed! It gives you more energy and heightens your sense awareness and focus! but as with any drug there are repercussions.
    Those are all the signs of her taking too much.  In other words she is over doseing herself.   She should talk with her doc and cut back on the dosage.  If she has a high protein breakfast, the extended version should last long enough.  Or there are other meds like Vyvannse that last even longer, and are smoother.
    Do you know how much she is taking and when?
I would love to be able to talk to you..... I am going through the exact same thing you are.  The emotions, the feelings...everything.  I was reading your post and it was like I was reading about myself.