ADD / ADHD Community
Worried about long term effects of Adderall(adderrall)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

I have been reading about the effects of Adderall (adderrall).  I have noticed in my son and step-son both that they have dispayed some signs of Autism.  I was wondering if it was a possibility that it could be another long term adverse effect of the Adderall (adderrall)?   They have become very nervous and fidgety, neither were before taking this medication. My step-son has the most severe sypmtoms.
Stimulant medication isn't for everyone. I  would probably talk to the doctor about bringing them off this medicine. I am 36 and couldn't tolerate Adderall (adderrall), i was nervous, almost paranoid, moody..and it eventually seemed to make my ADD worse. I'm off it now and feel a thousand percent better. It took me about 5 months though before my body started making enough of it's own dopamine and I stopped feeling fatigued and depressed (it was progressive though). I take 5htp now and L tyrosine, both can help with ADD. I personally don't think kids should be on the stuff but that's just me.
Please listen to me.... By the way, I can't believe that I’m actually on one of these discussion sites, I was just looking for solutions to my problem, and hope to stop you before you create one for yourself.  
Regardless of the fact that I am anonymous, I want you to listen because I hope to save people from this terrible addiction one day; I hope to save lots of people.  It’s such an unintentional addiction for the people that start taking it , and these people are the naive sweet and innocent, who are made to believe by society that we need to transform our lives to live up to a certain social standards, or ideals.  These are also the people that are being suckered into the addiction by our nation’s ******* government’s lack of drug regulation.  Certain doctor’s have corrupted their ability to utilize their educations in a way to harm people, and people need to take it upon themselves to do what you did,   EDUCATE YOURSELF, and ask questions before you believe that people’s claim is ultimately the truth.  With enough information you can determine what’s right for you.  The only reason I am here taking the time out is to inform those that if they are addicted they aren’t alone, and if you’re not, which I’m sure you are if you are on it for more than a month, to get the hell off!!
I am a 23 year old woman.  When I was a child, I was tested over and beyond my intelligence range in comparison to the children my same age bracket, in turn, had a physiological chemical off -balance.  I was diagnosed with OCD, ADHD, ABC, DEF, you name it!!!  I had it.   My mother wasn't for putting me on medications; she was afraid of the damage it would place on my liver.   I was extremely young when I was diagnosed by the way.  Growing up I was an amazing athlete with lots of drive, I played soccer, in addition to always party with my friends.  I was also a great student; I practiced cognitive behavioral therapy, at the University of Pennsylvania, which promoted a Holistic approach of looking at typical disorders that children are labeled with.  The majority of what they did for me focused on correcting problems that coincide physiologically and physically as opposed to taking a pill.
About 2 1/2 years ago, I started taking Adderral XR 10 mg twice a day; I am currently taking 30 mg of Adderral XR 2 times a day. XR stands for Extended Release.   Sometimes, if I have that paper that I have been putting off due tomorrow, I’ll pop an extra.  But recently whether it’s a paper,  late night of drinking, extra computer time, , I’ll take one before bed and 2 the next day, note that is 150 mg in my body on occasion…”Where is my doctor in this picture?” you ask.  Right, the one responsible for monitoring me, making sure that I am ok with the side effects and such, picture this.  
I am currently a Business major, in school still, finishing up in may/June. I have now been prescribed 60 mg of adderral XR a day for the past 2 years. Maybe I’m in denial, or maybe I don’t know, but I have never been addicted to anything in my life, not drugs, not cigarettes, and now I’m stuck on both.  
When I hit college I had just started seeing this new doctor.  He was funny and energetic (probably b/c he was prescribing himself a thing or two) Well, naturally I liked him.  He made me trust him.  He started me off on Straterra , to correct my never dissolving issue of ADHD.  I personally knew nothing would work, except me working on myself. According to everyone else, nothing had worked, as I’m sure he was already aware of, oh yeah, did I mention I didn’t and still don’t have health insurance, and he was charging a college kid almost a hundred dollars a visit, so that he could do “follow ups”,?  **** ups is what he should have called all of those visits.  
Next, came the big BANG!!!!!!!!!!  This was essentially the biggest downfall of my life.  I am emotionally mentally and physically crippled because of this man.    He wound up hooking me into this addiction, made tons of money off of the college girl for himself and the Pharmacy industry of good ol’ America.  I had to work an extra job in college just to pay for all the meds, and in the moment, thought truthfully that I needed it to make me better, but by the time I realized what it was doing to me, I was so sucked in that I didn’t have time to think or worry about what to do to make me better.  “Where is he now”?  You ask?  
He began cancelling apts. To the point that I would have to just show up there, and the drive to his office, is in my hometown, 2 hours away.  I never knew how crazy it was to have to drive all the way to his office to get him, because I never stepped outside of myself, or outside of my box, self centered is what I am, but not in a selfish non giving way, in a way that I worry so much about myself.  This drug has created so many added problems with my disorder and with me that I absolutely cannot move out of bed without it.  You have no idea what withdraw from this drug is like.  I feel like a crack head, and yet I never asked for any of this.  I have never  voluntarily took this to get messed up, because I don’t have an addictive personality, but when a doctor prescribes you meds at 20 years old, you want to believe what he is giving you is legitimate.
This has been a growing issue in everywhere in my life.  I don’t have the same feelings I did before this drug.  I find it really hard to be happy.  I used to always smile, and laugh, my last episodes of this behavior where before this drug came into my life.  I have no interest in sex, boys, and by the way, I am good looking, I can say that, because trust me, it’s not a feeling of satisfaction, in fact, I have boys throw themselves at me, and don’t care, nor want to associate with them.
I think of suicide a lot, I mean at least like twice a day, the only reason I don’t do it is because I think of what it would do to the people I matter to.  I mean the real people like my mom, my family, my friends, just because I can’t feel doesn’t mean they can’t.  
I am crying while writing this letter right now, but that’s the only emotion that I seem to possess anymore, feelings of fear, worry, failure, and my future.  I don’t care about things women my age are doing, I care about how I’m going to make the most money, have the nicest things, but really I have never been that way.  The drug has made me manic, but subconsciously I know that, so I keep myself in check.  If you don’t want Jeckle and Hyde to argue inside of your brain with you as the middle man in, then stay away from this ****.  
I have to end this by telling you that this doctor refused to take anymore appointments from me.  I felt like I was a drug attic whose drug dealer was running away from them.  He would tell the secretaries in the office to say that he wasn’t there.   I would be in bed for days on end waiting for my mother, who by the way was never aware of the severity of my addiction, nor the existence, to go to his office and pickl the prescriptions up for me, because he made me feel like a lunatic.  I knew I needed the prescription but did not have the knowledge, courage, or dignity to go myself and tell him how I felt.  
I am now with another doctor up at school, who just today told me that my doctor sent him a letter stating that I corrupted the prescription and he had to dismiss me as his patient. (Not in fact the truth) This is the news that I received about a half hour ago.  So, I’m sure this is just another issue I need to deal with.  STAY AWAY ANYONE WHO READS THIS….

i seriously need to talk to you.
It sounds like you have addiction problems.  ADHD increases the likelyhood of drug and alcohol problems.  I am currently taking Adderall (adderrall) at the recommended dosage.  I never take more than I'm supposed to.  I have found it to be extremely helpful for a problem I've suffered from my entire life, without knowing what it was.  If it is not abused, it is a great help.  But, you should take into consideration the fact that it is a drug which is used recreationally, I should say, abused recreationally.  You should not assume that everyone who is taking this drug is addicted.  You may be scaring people who really can benefit from this medication.  You should consider getting help.  I personally am an alcoholic and drug addict.  I attend 12-step meeting every day (almost).  I have found peace and a new way to live.  I needed to work on the underlying problems.  Addiction is a problem that will destroy your life.  I now know that I can use the medications that I need, correctly.  I go to therapy, and AA meetings, and take my medication.  It does what it is supposed to.  It doesn't get me high, I don't take it to get high, or to stay up all night working on a paper.  I take it as directed.  I understand how tricky it can be.  I was addicted to Percocet and pot and alcohol.  I abused my medications to get through the day.
But, you can learn a new way to live and manage your life.  And, you can take medication!  Some people may not be able to tolerate Adderall (adderrall).  Don't take it!  But, many of us have found it to HELP us with the addiction problems and personal issues that ADHD had caused in our lives.  I am proof of that.  
Not treating ADHD is not a very good option.  Find another doctor.  Talk to a therapist.  Get help.
You don't have to stay in pain.
And for those out there looking to get help with ADD/ ADHD, know the risks, follow the direction of your doctor, and then make up your mind.  
My life is 1,000x better after taking adderral.  And it helped me to quit drinking and abusing drugs.  I seek the help I need.  Pills alone won't fix it.
Im currently on 30mg xr daily and i couldnt be happier.  I was on this same dosage for 3 years in middle school, then I dropped in High School for w/e reason.  Now im In college and started up again.  It keeps me from taking the excessive naps i usually take on a daily basis (about 4 hrs worth a day w.o meds...i know its fked up).  My GPA is the highest its ever been, and seriously you've never felt more confident in yourself and your abilities on this pill. Sure, i could just blow 2 fat rails of coke and get the same effect, But the XR is the seal of approval that you'll feel awesome for 8 hrs.  As much as i want this to be a joke im 100% serious and if someone constructs a petition to get this **** thrown in the water supply my john hancock will be the first on the list.
But, what if you were to reduce your dose? Say take 20mg instead. How would you feel? Or what happens on a day when you forget to take your 30mg? My guess is that you would begin to feel lethargic and not want to do anything...then you'd have irritability/who knows what else. Until you took your 30mg, then you'd be fine. My guess is your addicted. I don't recommend suddenly not taking your 30mg...you could throw your body into withdraw. But, what if you took just 20 one day or for two days?
  I've been taking Adderall (adderrall) for 10 years + and don't know what the **** some of you are ranting about! If Adderall (adderrall) is having some horrific effect on you may I suggest that you may have been misdiagnosed as ADHD and your brain isn't affected by it like mine is. I've gone without this drug for weeks at a time over and over and, though I wasn't in top form obviously, I never EVER had any frantic cravings for it, etc. that would cause anyone, including myself, to think I was an "addict".
  Genuine203. Have you ever considered that you are in fact bipolar and not ADD? The symptoms are identical in many ways but your deep depression, your paranoia, apathy, etc. would seem to make that diagnosis make more sense. After all, Adderall (adderrall) is a stimulant and the way it affected you seems extremely peculiar to me. All four of my children are diagnosed with ADD as well and have been on it for periods of time depending on their individual needs. There were some side effects such as difficulty falling asleep at night and a lack of appetite. My two older boys didn't like the way it "changed their personalities" but their teachers and I did. They were later diagnosed with other mental illnesses which made their statements more understandable. My youngest son is most badly effected by this disorder and, at the age of 12, he refuses to go to school without taking his meds. Don't rule this drug out for those of us who are correctly prescribed it and for whom it is working.
  Stimulants are too widely prescribed and ADHD is usually the first diagnosis doctors make on the way to the right one.
THANK YOU! My thoughts exactly.
i was forced to take adderall (adderrall) XR for ten years with varying dosages. before i started taking it and at first i was in the upper range as far as intelligence goes and my grades in school were great. i would be near the top percentile on any standerdized tests i took and things were fine. but after taking it for about 3 years things went down hill. i went from all A's to all D's and became lazy or unmotivated. the medicine still helped me concentrate but that was about it.
so basically my grades suffered. Later after almost failing year after year but still being quite a smart kid things got even worse. it started to make me depressed and anti-social, and bad thoughts were of course running through my head, i felt like i was going crazy. my thoughts were always jumbled and i could never think straight. So i decided ill tell my doctors, they'd fix this. Their bright idea was to up the dosage! i can honestly say this period was one of the worst times of my life.
After basically falling into a deep hole of depression i decided enough was enough. After ten years i quit taking my medicine. i had to pretend to take it in front of my parents then throw it out when i got to school. the withdraw was horrible but lasted only a month. so i continued to throw away the meds and little by little i started feeling better until i felt like a normal person, as much as possible.
at this point i told my parents what was going on, i dont know if they believed me or if they thought, hell he went through this much trouble just to get out of taking it lets not waste our money, but they stopped making me take it.
everyday i wonder how life would have been if i wasn't forcefed adderall (adderrall) for ten years. i know it messed me up, i still find myself having delusions and freaking out like i did when i was on the meds but it barely ever happens. i wrote this not because they should stop prescribing it but because doctors and patients should listen to the children. i hated hearing my doctor say time and time again, "its not the medicine, its just you" parents listen to your children, and do some research when you decide to give your child a drug that is molecules away from being cocaine.
I wish i would have never taken the drug because i can honestly say it ruined my life in some ways, but the drug does do good for some people, just not me. I still have problems in school, i have a 2.0 GPA in college. i know i could do better but things just dont click in my head like they did when i was younger. i understand everything i go over but dont have the drive to do anything with it. i just sit there and stare at a computer instead of doing the work.
i know all this sounds crazy but thats partly because i stumbled upon this website and its really late and i have class tomorrow and im super tired. just live above the ignorance and talk to your children!
adderall is NOT very close chemically to cocaine.  sure they're both stimulants but actually ritalin would be closer to coke, and adderall (adderrall) is close to methamphetamine.  not that it makes it any better...

kids are obviously the target market for Shire Pharmeceutical, which i think is awful.  
i agree with woozy that kids should not be on this stuff, unless it's the absolute last resort.  it's given out to toddlers and grade-schoolers like fuggin' candy!  guess what, they're KIDS, being inattentive is what they DO!  anyway i just don't like the fact that it seems so many more children are quickly scripted amphetamine before other methods are tried, while adults with ADHD are often dismissed.  my former insurance company said they stopped covering ADD medications for anyone over the age of 18, which is ridiculous!  

i'm not bashing the drug.  i'm 25 and have been on it for 4 years straight and it gets me thru the day at the office, but if i run out i fall asleep at my desk and have gone home early a few times simply because i cannot turn my brain on.  yeah, that *****, but i know i'm a thousand times more productive than i would be without it, and that's fine with me.  people who have such terrible side effects that make them hate it so much and blame it for ruining their lives should've stopped it sooner or taken less.  
... Adderall (adderrall) will make anyone do better on a test, get more work done in the office, keep you more awake during the day, make you enjoy organizing... but honestly it is over prescribed.
People who truly have adhd and add will feel centered and have control of there life when they take adderall (adderrall). anyone can claim they can not concentrate in school, but that is not add or adhd that is life. I have adhd, which many people do not relize that  people with adhd also have delayed reaction time and/or short term memory. This affects everyday things, not just when you are trying to be productive. Taking adderall (adderrall) makes me able drive alot better,( i am more alert to the other cars, signs, and my thoughts are on the road.), keeping up with my things, before adderall (adderrall) i would loose everything!!! and when i do not take my adderall (adderrall) i will notice a difference even when i just go to the mall.( the other day i did not take it and when shopping and left my cell phone in 4 stores, and left my wallet in 2.) yes a purse would fix this problem but i will leave my purse places too.
my over all experience on adderall (adderrall) is positive, i do not annoy others with my forgetfulness and lost items, i am more controlled, and of course i do better in school....
Dunno if this will be received since the posts date back to Nov 2007.  Hope genuine203 made it out ok.

The following is just my opinion as a 30yo patient of 2 mos. who's been doing some light reading and is new to the world of psychiatric medicine/psychology altogether.  Currently not on meds.

From what I've concluded, the prescriptions work by effecting your neurotransmitter production.  These neurotransmitters effect the responses throughout your body, how it functions, not just your emotional health, alertness etc.  I feel this is heavy altering they're doing here and the science is "fairly" new, many of the products definitely are.  According to my new and now old psychiatrist they do not know the long term effects of altering YOUR body's way of naturally producing its neurotransmitters.  Who's to say that the imbalance is a result of your brain trying to balance or being effected by something else in your body that currently needs more attention.

There are cases when prescriptions are appropriate, sometimes the only way, I get & support that.  Please take them.  I just wish they'd actually do some scientific testing on the production levels of these neurotransmitters in YOUR brain before diagnosing and treating you.  Why aren't they monitoring serotonin levels for 15 min a week?  Can they?  For what we are altering here I wouldn't mind monitoring it as frequent as diabetics monitor their insulin.  Serotonin seems to play just as big a role, at least in my life I am told. Checking levels would be much more accurate than "I think you seem to fall into this category over here maybe a little dash of this and some of that which may or may not be just a side effect of the others that I just diagnosed you with."

The following is a bit of a rant i apologize, I'm still frustrated with the inconclusiveness of this whole process:

I lost confidence in my pscyhiatrist when I told her after a week on Ritalin that it was the equivalency of having a coffee and just as destructive for me(makes me a space cadet!) and she returned "well lets put you on 20mg SR then".  Really?  I'd rather buy the coffee and space out or better yet avoid caffeine, which I do.

So I say, thank you but I'm very much not interested, lets finish the OCD testing from the previous week.  I test into lower severe category for this which wasn't a surprise because I've been self-conditioning this for years.  Apparently, having both ADD and OCD is no good treatment wise.  The stimulants aren't so good for the OCD & racing thoughts she tells me and has to talk to her adviser.

I am presented with zoloft as and option at our next 15min session.  This is an antidepressant that treats OCD because it seems all they use for OCD currently is antidepressants.  I kind of like my OCD (intrusive images and the need to prove myself are a mildly irritating).  My frustration spawned off a good number of questions on zoloft and I have to say there were a lot of i dunnos in there as responses.  Very disappointed with the session and the info I couldn't gather from it I left with a thank you for your services.  
I'm seeing a psychologist who's broken-record response is to sleep more and gain self-respect(2mos now).  I am a FT mom who works FT Fri - Mon and is quite busy.  Who wouldn't love to get more sleep?

I'm currently searching for a doctor who enjoys teaching their patients(maybe a retired professor?) about every little detail before moving forward.  Someone who acknowledges the patients environment and history as an additional factor with a good amount of weight to it.

When they find an easy way of physically monitoring what is being produced in my brain on a regular basis I think I'll be more comfortable with the quality of the diagnosis and treatment.  In the meantime I'm eating lots of salmon, dairy and sesame covered almonds.  heh.

One more thing, on the subject of administering anything to an early ever-changing brain, I'd need to know what type of effect altering the brain's course so early on would have 10/20 yrs down the road before even considering.  In using treatment to repair/ease tissue damage I am accepting of ideas.  In persistent, severe cases of mental instability likely leading to suicide prescriptions are favorable.

If anyone knows a credible web source for health research I would appreciate links, researching online leaves me susceptible to biased material.
Sorry just read this.

My son was on adreall back in 2004 and it made him sleepy and worse off and then the doctor changed his medicine because his teacher said it was not working.so we changed to conerta .

and now then in 2006 after telling his doctor about things the school was telling me,he sent my son for an egg and thou it would come back fine.Well it didn't and my son is now 10 and having 3 different kind of seizures and has tried 7 medicines witch have not worked ,and he is still hipper and cant learn and the medicines he is on now for just his seizures witch are 5 still dont stop him from having seizures.and on June 24th he had the VNS surgery and they just turned it on yesterday.

you see I was told once you have the side effects you can't make them just go away.but try and take medicines to fix the new ones that are added to what you already had.

I will not put my son back on any add or adhd medicines and the doctor said if we did it could make his seizures worse because the medicines they give go to your brain.

I would take them off them slowly and ask doctor how to go about do it and also ask doctor about getting them each an egg and sometimes even with an egg they don't show up like my son do.
My experience:
I am 23 yrs old, just graduated with a double major from a top Art School, I am a freelance artist, and I take about 30 mg of adderall (adderrall) a day.  I was prescribed it about seven months ago (starting at about 5mg twice a day), and my life has been dramatically changed for the better.  A part of me wonders why I didn't get treatment earlier for ADHD (college would have been much more productive) and a part of me wonders what I'll be like ten years from now when I am still wanting/needing the drug because I don't want to go back to being lazy, tired and lacking motivation.  I don't like putting drugs int my body, but man, this stuff helps!  Also, I have a close relationship with the nicest Dr. in the world who I trust, but I also know he is quick to whip out a prescription for any problem.

I AM significantly more productive and driven as an artist and in every area of m my life, and people compliment me more now than ever on my ambition and ability to achieve success at a young age.  I can go constantly, produce artworks in no time, manage a successful modeling career AND a full time internship. I am able to accomplish all of these great things that I don't believe I could have done before...

However, I am a little worried about the future.  Some of the side effects I am noticing now, after seven months, are starting to scare me.  My memory is getting worse and worse, and I can't recall what I did the day before. I tend to lose my train of thought while speaking, and sometimes my mind will go blank.  What does this mean?  Occasionally, I will notice that my head twitches- only I notice it, but I am worried it would get worse or happen more often.   My tolerance for the drug is also increasing, and I am needing more to have the same effects.  I went from 5 mg to 35 in a day over the course of seven months- what will my tolerance have increased to in two years? Five years?  What is this drug doing to my brain?

I don't want to quit taking Adderall (adderrall) because of how I've been able to take major control over my life and accomplish my goals. I am happy.  I don't abuse the drug at all, and I've been able to go a week without it when I need to wait for a refill.   If it works, why should I quit taking it?  At the same time, I don't want to have some sort of a dependence and I am scared of long term damage to my brain.  Sometime I feel like I am going to end up with Alzheimers by the time I am 40.  

Last question:  I drink tons of coffee every day, too combined with the adderall (adderrall).  Is that bad? Anyone else do that?  It helps me get through nine hours a day sitting in front of Photoshop followed by modeling gigs twice a week after my internship and freelance projects until midnight every night.  Am I killing myself?!!!
im a 23 year old male id just like to say that ever since i was diagnosed with ADD in the 5th grade which was legally the age/grade in which you could put a child on medications i was on that boat from day one i remember the tests leading up to the diagnosis as well as my first prescription of adderall (adderrall) all the weird questions from my parents and my doctor about how i felt if i felt funny during the day i was 10 years old i had no idea what amphetamines were or meth or drug addiction i had been warned about drugs as any normal kid would be but what ten year old really grasps onto what adults mean when they talk about drug addictions so anyway i guess i was all laced out but i didnt really notice as i got a few years older i noticed that when i would wake up id be tired as any normal kid would too tired to go to school but then once i popped that pill with in the first hour of being at school id be actually happy to be there, writing down nearly every word the teacher spoke just for the mere enjoyment of it all i took that drug all the way up until i was about to go into college so up until the summer after my senior year of high school and i made a concious decision to stop taking it and it wasnt because i had heard about how bad it was for you i mean i knew there were risks to your liver and things like that but i never really read into the drug to scare myself away from it or anything i just made a really simple concious decision to stop taking it and i did, there was no withdrawl (withdrawal) i didnt have to take it some days or anything i just stopped i was actually curious to see how i would do in college without it because it honestly did get me through high school i mean i know you only get to go through high school once so theres no way to tell if being on drugs would have been any different than being off them i didnt even know who i was for the past 8 years cuz i had been on drugs when i say drugs keep in mind i only mean prescribed ADD meds well as i said college came around and needless to say i didnt do so well i would flake out of class alot and just not pay attention or just didnt have an overall enthusiasm for maintaining any sort of scholarly attitude i guess it comes with age you want to rebel against what your teachers are teaching you cuz you're 19 years old and you think you know it all it could even be related to the fact that i nor my family had a lot of money and i had to settle for a ****** local junior college that felt like a joke or high school part 2 that could have caused my lack luster appeal towardfs the college life but anyways i stuck with it for a while dropped out havent really been doing much with my life i have a few jobs here and there i play music tho thats my only true passion that gets anything out of me i have noticed a growing insomnia problem for the past couple years i dont know if its from being off the meds or maybe because i had my heart severely broken right around the same time i came off the meds so maybe im just really depressed but the feelings are still there whats funny is that my parents have noticed my insomnia problem and actually accused me of taking meth lol which i have never done nor would never do ive smoked pot and done some other stuff but not really addicted to any of it just experimenting and having fun im starting to grow out of all of that now i feel myself maturing alot more and just realizing the simple beauty in life all round me ive even recently started considering going back to school which is a good thing so i dont really have any life changing story about the meds its actually just sort of a weird passive story i was on them from being little up until  my 18-19 birthday and then i was off them and my life kinda coincidentally fell apart not really due to the drugs but once again who's to say it wasnt i dont know all i know is that i got off of them with no problem and no withdrawls i do smoke cigarettes so i have an addictive personality but maybe i just got lucky but if anyone would like to talk more in depth about it id love to hear more peoples stories as well as share some more of my experiences with it that i havent mentioned in here my email is ***@**** thanks
I have off the charts ADD. I take 30 mg a day of Adderall (adderrall). I take it for four weeks,then take two weeks off of it to keep my system balanced. It is a stimulant, and needs to be respected as such, but it helps me be much more productive.
I find that I also need to adjust my diet in order to stay healthy. I avoid sugar,caffeine,artificial anythings,alcohol and processed flour etc: I find that when I eat a lot of brown rice, veggies, and simple proteins,and sweeten with agave ayrup, I stay a lot healtier. Adderrall can make my system acid and slow down my metabolism,so getting a lot of exercise and eating alkaline foods helps enormously.
There is a real risk of addiction. But moderation and common sense are your best friends here: Adderall (adderrall) is a tool, not an allpowerful monster. You have control over it. And if you don't, try not to adopt a "victim" mentality...remember that if the doctor you're working with isn't working FOR you, and is ignoring the symptoms yu're presenting (depression is pretty obvious), then you need to get a second and possibly a third opinion.
Good luck. Remember, any precription is like the old saying about fire: a good servant, but a bad master.
Stimulants do increase anxiety in some people, and anxiety is a big feature of Autism. That may be why they look like they are now showing signs of Autism.
Of course they are fidgety. They are on SPEED. Whoops! They only call it that on the street. You would be well advised to find a new doctor. And a word of warning. If you take them off Adderall (adderrall), do it very, very slowly. They are addicted.
You can get withdrawal symptoms from many meds. This does not mean you are addicted.
       I took adderall (adderrall) illegally on and off for a while (buy it from friends).  I would use it for studying and various long term attention needed tasks.  While I agree it does work, its not what we need.  What is ADHD or ADD other than people who can't pay attention?  What does it take to pay attention?  PRACTICING PAYING ATTENTION! Just like any other thing you want to get better at, it takes practice.  In this technological age where commercials give stories in 1 minute and everyone's in a hurry to go finish another pointless task, I think we need to take a step back....slow down a little & really evaluate exactly where are problem derives instead of always finding a cover-up temporary solution.  I am not saying I'm exempt, I am just as stuck as y'all trying to keep up.  27 yrs old, trying to pay rent with a dead end job, medical bills piling up, trying to maintain a social life, and finish college.  It never stops.  But I recently discovered meditation and it is really the only remedy with real results.  So check it out.  Its not a religious practice but more like training your brain to calm the **** down and let your relentless thought processes take a break. Thus enabling you to fully focus on what you choose and more importantly, feel apart of web of life and not outside of it.  
   -Dan
Frankly you have no idea what you're talking about.  I'm a 34 year old male involved in the real estate business.  I was diagnosed with ADD/Discalculative disorder when I was 7 years old.  At that point I was enrolled in an outstanding school, DePaul, in Louisville that catered to my learning needs.  I tried Ritalin for a while when I was a kid but was taken off of it because of hallucinations.

Just recently I had a conversation with my doctor about my "absence seizures".  General disconnects that I have with the physical world that can happen when I'm in a meeting as easily as when I'm driving down the road.  It's like my eyeballs are disconnected from my brain and I'm inside my head if that makes any sense or like a diffused light vs. a laser beam of cognition.  I can be sitting at a table going through numbers on a deal with 3 or 4 other people and suddenly be oblivious as to what is going on while at the same time "pulling" my mind back to the table.  I KNOW that I need to be focused and WANT to and yet I'm unable.  I'm sitting there going "Gawd#$@&, I need to be here, I need to be comprehending this discussion.."  It also happens in everyday conversation or while I'm on the phone.  I'm sure some folks think that I'm aloof or rude because I seem to be blowing them off social conversation when the reality is I simply can't pay attention to them.

I just started adderall (adderrall) last Friday and while I'm on the med I finally feel normal or as close to it as I have in a decade or more.  My chief concerns are that when I come down from a dose I don't feel like myself emotionally prior to my introduction to the medication.  I, like many others here, am concerned about the long term impact on my health chiefly because I feel like this may be a lifetime relationship for me.  I had no idea it would impact me so heavily.  I have had a bout of insomnia which I'll have to deal with and some tension in my neck.  If there are ways to improve my ADD through diet I am more than open to suggestions.  My ultimate goal would be to address my ADD as much as possible by other means and supplement with adderall (adderrall) not the other way around.
ya, I agree with Louisville.  You need to do a bit of research into what ADHD is.  To say that something that can have the consequences of ADHD is just "a matter of not paying attention",  really shows the need for more information.  This is a good place to start:
  http://www.medhelp.org/medical-information/show/2157/Attention-deficit-hyperactivity-disorder-ADHD
Dr. 'WEEZEE',this first paragraphs dedicated2 you babe-->
Not quite sure why u came to this site in the 1st place but irrespective, just bc this isn't your disease doesn't make it non-existent! Obviously everyone has slight symptoms that ppl w. ADHD have but its to a muuuuuch lesser extent. Were on a f'kn website titled "Worried About the long-term effects of Adderall (adderrall)"-you see that's where we differ from u. We take it to get better& wouldn't put these drugs into our body if it wasn't necessary...but u take it illegally(which makes u super friggin cool by the way) &then all the sudden u become a genius who cured ADD with a dose of practice!!! **** how come I didn't think of that. Well I'm at it, I'm going to tell my sister who has SMA and is wheelchair bound that her disease is BS and that she can walk AS LONG AS SHE PRACTICES...HOW HARD CAN IT B RIGHT? You're most def preaching to the wrong choir buddy& should probably go meditate.

Anyways! So I don't speak out much about my ADHD (consider this a treat), nor have I ever read other peoples personal life stories about how they cope with it-interesting stuff. I learned a lot reading through your entries like I did not know that my short-term memory loss was from Adderall (adderrall)! Literally all of the time my best friends bring up things(from not to long ago)& I'll have no recollection-makes me kinda feel better tho2 it wasn't bc i was to drunk(trying to think positive). I also don't know any celebrities names except my faves &I barley remember movies after I see them or especially their title. My mind is running wild non stop& my theory is that bc were constantly thinking up knew crazy things we don't have room for little insignificant details most ppl think is common sense. For me to remember your name, you've got to impress me or excite me otherwise I'm imagining something way cooler than u.I'm a 21yr old female from Chicago and have always had an excessive amount of energy& acted on impulse. My mom was in denial for a long time that anything was wrong me& didn't want me on meds. I always knew I was different bc ppl would say "your crazy".&when I would speak my mind ppl would be like"omg i cant believe u stood up to her or him"& i just couldn't imagine not saying something.  Bullies in hs were afraid of me @105lbs bc I've never been afraid of putting ppl in there places when they're in the wrong. I use humor to lighten situations up. I happened to become best friends w. a girl in 8th grade who had ADHD and we were freakishly similar(&still college roomies!)Went on meds fresh yr of hs and wasn't a big fan of how they made me all serious& way less social...boooring.But the things I'm able to accomplish on them is like an out of body experience. In high school I didn't care so much about my GPA...the way I looked at it was like I could either be smart for a day but have no fun or I could skip the pill&tune out during class and talk2 every1 around me. One thing I really have a prob w/ is interrupting people or listening to what they're saying. You learn coping strategies along the way though like I can look at u smile nod& pretend really well that I care or have a clue what ur saying-when I'm thinking about 5,000other things. I've tried almost all the meds for ADD-concerta(blows),adderall (adderrall),focalin..u name it& they all gave me insomnia. Every1s different though.The upside to that is being able to pull all nighters for tests which I did last night! But overall not fun.The guy who said he had slight OCD and ADD as well I am in the same boat brother! The only symptom of ADD I never had was being disorganized. I'm not sure how your case was but I'm pretty sure that I developed some OCD like behaviors as a coping strategy for ADD because I know that if everything's not in order or written on post-its and in my phone calendar etc...there's no way I'd ever remember it. It's also nice I've channeled a lot of my extra energy into cleaning. At college I take adderall (adderrall) about 2-3times per week (never on weekends)and in those couple days I get everything done. I think it's important to not ever lose touch of who you really are off the drugs bc these are 2 completely different people. I couldn't imagine life without ADD because we bring this zest to life& there's never a dull moment.(xcept on the meds when its time to get crackin) Good luck to everyone& try to have a crack free holiday ;)
<3
My wife decided 2 month ago to go cold turkey after taking 90mg of Adderall (adderrall) a day for the past 4 yrs.  She says she doesn’t need help but she snaps on me and are family for little to no reason.  The smallest little thing sends her into a rage cursing, yelling, throwing things across the room, even once becoming physically violent towards me.  She's been going out and buying things, lying and sneaking to go out with her friends to the bar. It seems like shes suffering from every side effect I’ve read about.  Does anyone have any suggestions how to get her some help before she destroys are family.  
You can tell that all the people with long post are currently on adderall (adderrall)......haha, I used to be like this, I took it for 3 years and off and onn through high school and college, stuffs no good, you'll think its great while your on it but soon you'll come to need it for every challenge life throws at you, my advice stay away but you can do what you want, one more thing, the only difference between adderall (adderrall) and crystal meth is that one is base form and one is chemical form,
Geeeeze  Soo..yea I deserve some of backlash that was given.  I wasn't being considerate, didn't do my research, and wasn't nearly as specific as I should have been.  Oh yea and I had a few beers..so well u know.  Too all: I'm sorry.  In retrospect, I was referring to the typical types of people that I know who take it.  I.e. college students who take it to study & party.  I have seen the dark side of whats possible for people who became addicted who may or may not have needed it.  I do think that its over prescribed.  There are many people I know who don't have any ADHD or related symptoms but somehow still get prescribed copious amounts of the stuff, by doctors (that are still in practice...get it).  
I am feeling lately like I might be becoming dependent on my Adderall (adderrall) 20mg's. I am a nurse and I work for a doctor that was always harping on my OCD tendencies. He asked if I had ever been treating for ADD when I was younger, but I wasn't. He asked if I had difficulty in school, which I did in younger grades like having to reapeat them or being held back or attending readiness classes before advancing. He told me that those are some signs that point to undiagnosed ADD that if left untreated would definetly get progressively worse along with any other OCD or Bipolar depression I might have (which I don't think I have the later of the two). Anyway, my concern is that even though I am prescribed the 20 mg's 2x daily, I only take one on the days I have to work or have school. I don't take them on the weekends when I don't have anything that needs my undivided "attention". I feel like I do take them a lot of times to achieve that buzzed feeling, but I might just be confusing that for the ability it gives me to get my work done much more effciently than I remembered before taking the medication. What worries me also, is even taking such a small dose it keeps me wired and I can't sleep well at all. I'm talking, I can't sleep until like 3 or 4 in the morning. This is after taking the Adderall (adderrall) as soon as I wake up in the morning. I would have thought it would have worn off by that time. Also, I read Medical info that says that people who are truly ADD get the best sleep of their once they're treated. So does that mean I don't have it? Can anyone offer any advice?? I do feel like it helps me a lot. I can't be abusing the amount becuase my 60 pills usuallly last me 3 months because I'm taking half the dose prescibed to me. Does anyone else expierence soreness, especially in the back and legs when taking the Adderall (adderrall) or excessive urination?? Thanks...
   Did you have trouble sleeping at night before you started the Adderall (adderrall)?  I agree with you - it should be out of your system by then.
    How does coffee affect you?  
    Your Doctor is right in that untreated ADD or whatever can cause problems.  My question is how did you get the Adderall (adderrall).  Did you go through a psychologist who diagnosed your problem - or just kinda take the easy way out.
    With the questions you have,  I would get a professional diagnosis by a psychiatrist who specializes in adult problems of this nature
In my limited experiences with this drug I had soreness in my back, and my teeth feel weird...almost like a tooth ache but not as intense as a real one.  I also pee a lot too.  But I feel the need to drink more water than usual while I'm on it so that is likely the reason.  
Nervous and fidgety? Could that be because they are on speed? I wonder if your "doctor" ever told you that. The child of one of the contributors to this forum developed seizures after using Adderall (adderrall). And isn't it coincidental that both your son and your stepson have the same diagnosis, even though they are not biologically related? Try another doctor.
I was prescribed Adderall (adderrall) about 2 years ago for fatigue associated with Multiple Sclerosis. At different times, I have tried to stop taking this drug but always get back on it because it is addictive. I do not have an addictive personality but this drug has me hooked.  

Sure, I don't have the fatigue like when I don't take it but I have found that instead, I am "speeding" through life.  I haven't been able to sit down and read a book since I've been on this stuff. I've had Rosetta Stone French & Spanish still in the boxes because I have a hard time focusing & putting in the time it takes to learn a new language. Haven't been able to be calm enough to take a yoga class since I started Adderall (adderrall). I used to be calm and capable of being "still", which has stopped because my mind races.

This drug is perfect for our society today. It does make you feel more confident and give you a better mood but it's the drug (superficial) and not the "real" you.  I naturally am on the quiet/shy side, just want to be at peace/content, not overly ambitious/materialistic - these qualities don't go over well in our fast-paced, cut throat society that values loud, outgoing, 'go-getters' and considers there to be something wrong with those that are "too quiet" or on the shy side.

It helps me get through the work day and when I try to stop taking it, I do feel depressed and life isn't quite as 'exciting' because amphetamines keeps you living on the 'highs' of life. There is definitely withdrawal when you stop taking this med and it would take a few months to get it out of my system completely and try to level out.

I have tried a few other medications for fatigue & nothing works as well as Adderall (adderrall) but I know it can't be good for you, speeding up your central nervous system constantly without rest. Often I question if the emotions I am having are "me" or the drug. If you truly have ADD or ADHD, then maybe this drug can help you but it seems almost everyone has ADD these days in our fast-paced society.

I hope to one day soon be able to completely get off this drug and find the real me through good nutrition, excercise & meditation instead of drugs.  Be careful with this drug... 'The flame that burns the brightest burns out the quickest'

Peace ~
Forgot to add one more important side effect of Adderall (adderrall). I have great difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep while taking this drug. I was prescribed Klonopin to help me "chill" and sleep. Adderall (adderrall) can increase anxiety in some. Sooo... yes, I am basically taking uppers & downers to get through the day/night and both are very addictive & dangerous combo.
I also have ADD and have for some time. I've been on Adderral XR for about 4-5 years and for me, it's been a huge help. But unlike you, I have used it as a supplement to a lot of personal work and effort to make behavioral changes in my life, rather than relying only on a medication to make the changes for me. So I have a few things to say to you in response to your ridiculous posting.

First, take some responsibility. You are blaming everyone else, particularly this doctor, for your problems. The doctor didn't force you to "pop an extra" to study for a test or take two before bedtime. That's just a slap in the face of common sense.  This drug should not be used just to do better in school. ADD/ADHD is a disorder that has a number of factors that manifest in deficiencies in everyday living. Not being able to concentrate is NOT reason enough to take it.

Second, if the doctor was canceling appointments and if he was too expensive, find another doctor! There are plenty of qualified doctors that would have taken your case, especially at a college/university in student health services. If you're such a pushover that you're willing to put up with a doctor who you say does not have your best interests at heart, then you've got bigger problems than your ADD.

Third, from your posting, it sounds like you have mood swings, you go from manic highs (your own words) and now feel like killing yourself and cry all the time and have no interest in anything and you're paranoid and think that doctor was telling your secretaries to avoid you and you possibly have addiction problems...sounds more like you're bipolar than ADD, which if the case, adderral would obviously not be the correct medication for you. And was this doctor an actual psychiatrist, or a family medicine doctor,  because quite frankly, general practice docs don't know **** about **** when it comes to mental health medications.

So before you go posting a bunch of BS warning others about this "horrible drug" and saving people from the "terrible addiction", make sure you know what the hell you're talking about. Adderral XR is a strong medication and if used incorrectly, can be dangerous. So the one thing that I do agree with you on, is educate yourself because it has helped a lot of people, myself included, and in conjunction with proactive behavioral changes, can really increase the quality of life for people suffering from ADD.

And just a PS: I was SOOO glad to see other postings from fellow ADD'ers who have respected the power of this drug and used it responsibly and have shown great benefit from it. I have been on so many pills from such a young age and I was finally CORRECTLY diagnosed in my mid-20's with ADD and placed on Adderral XR and has truly helped me.
Haha, I love all these long winded comments. Bunch of adderall (adderrall) "addicts";-) What defines "addiction"? My psychology book defines it as continuing to use a drug despite negative consequences.So much that we do in life then could be considered an addiction. To those that say "What if you stopped taking it how would you feel?".. The answer is: I would be tired! I would have no energy to do what I need to do to survive. But, thinking back on before I had ever taken adderall (adderrall), I was a lazy *******!! :-) Adderall (adderrall) has changed me and my life. I am enrolled in school and hopefully I will be successful someday. I agree with those that say it affects your confidence levels, I am more comfortable being around and talking with people. I have spent my entire life being lazy and shy and accepting what life dealt to me. This gives me the ability to keep on trying. One might say, just do it without the drugs... To them I say, lets be realistic... I spent my entire life being lazy and going no where. I may be screwing up my heart... hopefully not to bad. But, what are my options? Be a useless "drug free" bum? Or damage my heart but be successful? Sure you could say what defines success? Plus, there are so many factors involved in those that have been affected negatively. I try to sleep at least 6 hours a night(difficult sometimes), I eat incredibly healthy, I take vitamins to promote general health(focusing on heart healthy vitamins;), I also workout a few times a week. In addition, I work full time, I go to school full time, I volunteer for a suicide hotline, I volunteer at the local medical center. The stigma associated with a drug can interfere with desired affects. Looking at addiction and it's affects on the brain, so many people focus on the drug and it rules their minds. I take my adderrall once, when I wake up and then I forget about it. Hehe, this post might say otherwise.. but lets ignore that;-) Anyway, I accept that I could just be "rationalizing" or whatever rehab terminology you'd like to use. If we cannot trust our own minds, then what can we trust? Anyways, any thoughts? Disagree with me?
hankjones

So let me get what you are saying,.So if people need a drug like adderrall witch is just like speed,and a street drug to not be lazy the doctors should start handing these drugs out to people who can't get there  self going and do something with there life without being on drugs.  And that is putting in nicely .

You know are using this drug so you can not be LAZY, How about pushing your self to do what other people in this world do that don.t take drugs .We don't always like going to work and doing other things but we do it any way without popping a pill every day,

And if you where to stop taken adderall (adderrall) you just go back to your old ways,because you would an excuse for not doing anything.This is BS if you ask me,

I would love to know what your brain looks like ,you might have seizures and wouldn't even know it.due the a dderall.

So you don't care if you or a person has a shorter life due to these drugs.I think you need HELP  .I feel sorry for your family.
I just read your post and you were saying how people take the adderall (adderrall) to NOT be lazy and we should just push ourselves and deal with all of lifes obstacles.  I am currently taking adderall (adderrall) and I agree with you on trying to push yourself without any drugs, BUT, adderall (adderrall) will creep up on you and you start to be depending on it.  I wish I never go on this drug 4 years ago bc its not worth it.  I was diagnosed with adhd and was put on it, and the first time I took the adderall (adderrall) I actually felt "NORMAL" for once in my life.  It was like the best thing ever.  But 4 years later I pretty much hate it bc I have so many side affects on it now.  Its hard to just get off the drug and deal with the laziness bc you know the feeling that the adderall (adderrall) does to you and you always just go back on it.  Adderall (adderrall) can be a great drug if you take ONLY WHAT IS PRESRIBED TO YOU and take it the same time everyday.  But one time after you take that "ONE EXTRA PILL" can ruin your life.  So in the end dollyn you dont know how it feels unless your in our shoes. Your criticism is very rude and very unethical. Before you try to comment on stuff maybe you should know what you are talking about instead of just saying negetive stuff.
Our society is at an epidemic rate of taking stimulants in all forms. We live in such a fast-paced, "success" driven world where we all are doing more than we can handle that drugs such as Adderall (adderrall) are "perfect", for awhile at least.  

One is fooling themselves if they do not think this drug is addictive.  Amphetamines or "speed" are some of the hardest drugs to quit because as another poster wrote, you always remember that feeling you have when you take a drug like Adderall (adderrall) and it is hard to give up. It does give you energy with a better, more sociable mood so who wouldn't want that feeling all the time.

However, as with every drug, there are side effects. Adderall (adderrall) can also make you very edgy/irritated/restless and build up a tolerance/dependance to it. And with my long-winded rambling and so many others on here, you tend to say or act without really thinking through what you're doing and I have learned that I may sometimes later regret what I said or did because without the drug I would not behaved in the same way.

I am glad if this drug really helps those with ADD or ADHD, but I question the over-medication of the children in our society and the long-term effects. The pharmaceutical companies are creating life-time customers that the companies are financially benefitting from at record levels. And it is sad that so many of us have to take a pill to get through the day/life.

I hope one day I can be completely "drug free" and feel content with myself and my life. That day has not come yet...
Hey there.

I'm 25, have been on the drug for 5 years, and thought I'd contribute my two bits as both a patient and future doc.  I'm currently in the process of applying to medical school, and I can honestly say that I'd still be where I'm at today without the drug.  ADHD is one of the most misunderstood diagnosis out there, and even the name is deceiving.  ADHD stands for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, but the "hyperactivity" part trips a lot of people up.  Kids with adhd tend to present with these behaviors, but it has little to do with the disorder, and probably leads to a lot of kids being misdiagnosed.  The disorder is better explained as a lack of stimulation in the brain: the on-off switch is faulty, and those with genuine symptoms tend to develop coping mechanisms to survive daily life.  These coping mechanisms usually involve some degree of added stimulation to jump-start things upstairs.  Some people, especially when the onset of symptoms is early in life, turn to sports and exercise, and remain physically active throughout life.  These folks are lucky, having found a healthy way to cope, and may never actually be diagnosed--nor do they need to be.  They won't need meds or excessive amounts of caffine or energy drinks to kick start the brain.  Unfortunately, many people find other, less healthy coping techniques, such as binge drinking and drug abuse, which explains the correlation between those with ADHD and addiction potential.  Others, including myself, gravitate towards extreme sports, they're "thrill seekers," and anything that gets the adrenaline pumping is perfect to get their brain in working order.  The common theme here is that those who have ADHD are constantly needing some degree of added stimulation.  Thus, the use of prescription stimulants to treat ADHD symptoms.  NOTE: the drug does nothing to cure the disorder! Its just another way to manage the symptoms, but its a healthier option than some coping mechanisms.  Now for the kicker: i'm afraid that many of those who are talking about feeling amped on the drug, or others who report feeling happy and euphoric, may not have the disorder.  I've never felt many of the effects that most are describing.  The best way to describe my experience with the drug is that i finally feel like I can function like a--i hesitate to use the word--"normal" person.  I'll share my experience to illustrate:

I was finally diagnosed with ADHD when, in order to be productive in college, I was living an extreme lifestyle to deliver the stimulation my brain was lacking.  This was a typical day for me (at my worst)
go to school at 10am
class until early afternoon
then i'd eat, and go to EMT school until night
then i'd go to work the graveyard at the mental hospital til 7am
I'd get off work, then go to the gym for a workout and shower
then park my jeep at school and nap in the back seat until class
repeat.
on days that i didn't have evening class, or on the weekends, I'd work a 16 hr double at the hospital.  When my parents realized i wasn't even staying at my apartment for days on end they thankfully intervened, and fixed me up with a great clinical psychologist who diagnosed me within minutes of meeting him.

Obviously my case isn't typical, but it fits the mold.  My engine was redlining 24/7, and If I slowed my pace even slightly, I'd crash, so to speak, losing all ability to accomplish my goals.  I remember times when i'd break down sobbing because I knew what I needed to do, and wanted to do it, but somehow just couldn't.  With adderall (adderrall) i've been able to function in a more "normal" way.  The drug certainly has its drawbacks.  its apparently highly addictive.  But let me say this:  if yer jonsin' for adderall (adderrall), you probably shouldn't be on it in the first place, because your brain doesn't need it!  If yer "tweakin" on adderall (adderrall), you probably don't need it.  Like i mentioned before, for those whose brains really need it, the amphetamine should be just enough to allow your brain to operate, not throw you into a euphoric state of bliss and lazer focus.  I can literally take my meds and go right to sleep if I want to.  Now, some may be asking, why is this dude on the website?  Well, I too am worried about the long-term effects of the drug.  While it helps me to function without resorting to extreme measures, i'm concerned about its effect on neurotransmitter receptors in the brain.  I also worry about decreased blood circulation (could this increase cardiovascular disease risks like peripheral artery disease?)  I've developed a slight tremor in my hands, similar to coffee shakes, regardless of whether i have the drug in my system, which alarms me and i hope its not irreversible nerve damage.  Also the body has a mean tolerance issue, as many have mentioned.  I'm at the maximum recommended dose already (60mg a day, and for those taking more, you're docs are irresponsible).  I'd like to find a healthier way to keep my brain functioning optimally, but I don't know if I'll be successful.  In the meantime, I'll take the drug because it won't kill me as fast as my earlier described life-pace.  We live in a society that wants to medicalize everything, and i think this leads to many people being misdiagnosed.  Its human nature to be minimalists, and to procrastinate.  This doesn't mean you have adhd.  however, if your relationships suffer, if you literally cannot accomplish your realistic daily goals, and if you can relate to my experience, maybe you should ask your doctor about neuropsychiatric testing to determine if you have adhd.  thanks for reading about my experience, and if you have any suggestions regarding alternative, non-narcotic options for adhd management, please let me know!
I found your story very interesting.  I am a mother of a child with sensory integration disorder (not adhd but looks like it at times . . .).  This is also an issue with the nervous system.  Physical activity has been unbelievably helpful with his issues.  He's never met a sport he didn't like.  He really excels at soccer and swimming . . . Okay, he is six.  But he swims almost every day and it has an amazing calming effect on him.  I've always wondered what physical activity could do for adhd kids.  

I've read in countless places (certainly NOT just this forum) that if you are high or revved up as littlewing suggests then the medication shouldn't have been given to you in the first place.  At that point, a person such as that is using it as speed.  This is different than the brain of someone with add/adhd which gets a calming affect from the drugs vs. a euphoric/speed feeling.  As I've said, I've read that in countless places at this point. Adults that are diagnosed put themselves in the situation of being addicted by not being honest with their physician about the affect the drug is having on them.  I was perscribed pain pills post operatively once--------  I didn't take them indefinately  just because they made me feel good  after my surgery.  Why is this different.  The person is responsible for their actions.  No one else.  Just my opinion.
First, my hats off to everyone here who has taken the time to post their opinions, suggestions, critisism, philosophies, etc.  I read evey post and considered everything, in light of the fact that Everyone is diferrent, we all have diferrent experiences, beliefs; & to whatever degree... none, some or much relience on a highier power.  I am not here to preach to anyone, and I can absolutley see where Everyone is coming from, and who are any of us, or anyone (in that matter) to make judgment as to what works & doesn't work.  I am no PhD, but I have payed enough attention (no pun intended) to realoize we need to get back to the basics.  Start with nutrition.  Get your diet right.  Then, exersize. Then get clear on who you are and WHY you are here (on earth) in the first place...Your purpose.  Associate with people you respect, approve of, and admire.  Get your life in order.  Set standards for yourself.  Re-Evaluate your belief system and how it is effecting your day-to-day decisions.  Read a personal-development book, or seven.  And last but not least, get your spiritual life right.  If you have done all of this, I mean really done all of this.  Not just for a couple of days, or months.  But stayed committed to these simple "upgrades"... And you are still having probs, well go see a Professional.  Its like a motor in a car.  I'm not a mechanic, but I do know it is wise use the proccess of elimination to diagnose whats going on with the engine, before you buy another one, or make repaires to parts of the engine that we're fine to begin with.  So lets use common sense here.  Everyone has good times and bad times, some more or less of the other.  And medication can probably help in many cases, but as mentioned above, "its not a cure."  You are the cure, you are the common denominator in your life experiences, and you make your decisions.  Excuses are well-planned lies. And everytime we point the finger, there is three pointing right back.  Get you mind right, get healthy, and get a life.... a better lifestyle at least. Its up to you and you only. Cheers!
I do know what it is like . My son was put on Adderall (adderrall) and then Concerta .

He couldn't do anything at school and they would call me to come get him. He would be very sleep there. Then we come to find out my son was having Seizures .Witch is a side effect from these drugs. And my son is not the only Child who has had this happen.My Husband works with another man who has a son who was on Adderall (adderrall) and then put on Seizure Medicine and now is also being feed threw a feeding tub. Side effects from the drugs.

As a mother I would never wish this on anyone .

And the only reason I ever put my son on these dam drugs where because the Lazy Teacher couldn't handle him and do her job. Every thing was always my son fault.
She was an old Teacher and no longer Teaches I am very glad she is gone from the School.

People have had sudden death and Strokes and Heart problems also after being on Adderall (adderrall) .

Is it really worth someone life to take these drugs.It is not like you will die if you don't take these drugs.

Try taken Vitamin B6 B12 and Omega 3-6-9 they have helped my son deal with School work better and the fact that he has two very great Teachers that take turns coming to our house to work with him for two hours after School every day.Since he can't go to School because of to many Seizures.And when we do try to put him back in School it will have to be have days to see how he does and will be after noon's . Because the Seizures make him sleep a lot in the mornings .
I think adults and parents alike need to read up on things before filling the prescription for the medication.  I don't think it is fair to blame everyone else.  

That is my opinion.  
Adderall changed my life--in a good way. Despite being gifted and having a pretty high IQ, I failed through the majority of my high school and college career. After adderall (adderrall), I'm a success. I plan, I remember things, I finish what I start--I'm normal. I get things done. I move through life and most of all, I'm happy.

Experience is personal and your life is what you do and make of it. Be careful if you think you're prone to addiction, but don't put it off because you're scared. Sometimes disorders ARE real and NEED to be treated.

Ask around and find a good doctor... someone who cares. They're out there.

Good luck.
I am the mother of a child who had an undiagnosed seizure (subclinical) disorder that resembled ADHD.  Fortunately, she had a 24 hour EEG before being prescribed any ADD meds ...  

To make a potentially long story short ... it may not have been the medication that caused your son's seizures, but rather the seizures were already present subclinically, and the drug was an arbitrary factor?

Pleasedisregard this if you feel it is wrong in your case, but as a 12 year "vet" in the seizure trenches I've come to see that the onset of  intractable seizures usually IS the cause of behavior changes, as opposed to behavior changes and the pills prescribed to mediate those changes causing the degeneration.

With respect.
PMom
I'm willing to bet that the people who are posting the postitive comments have not taken Adderall (adderrall) long enough. I'm prescribed it, and am the demographic of "sure as hell needs it" and it really improved my life for a long time. I don't comment on things like this. I care enough to because I want to help you guys. It is an incredible medication at first: it helps you through all those little stupid things you've always had problems with. But then you don't feel right when you don't take it. And you start to not feel right when you do, so you need to take a little more. I'd really like to elaborate over how devastating these to aspects of the drug have been on my life but I'll keep this short.

Basically, it's given me seemingly irreparable psychological/emotional problems because...
1. It gave me anxiety that did not exist prior
2. Coming off of it causes gnarly depression
3. I have built a new lifestyle around it since I've been prescribed that i honestly cannot keep up with without it. My position at work is based on my abilities while medicated, and unless i find an alternative medication, quitting Adderall (adderrall) is quitting my job.
4. I generally don't like the person I'm perceived as socially without it. I'm slower, say awkward things, don't pick up on humor, appear insensitive, etc...
5. I'm ******* addicted, because that's what happens when you ******* take drugs, and I'm offended by people defending this one
6. I can't force myself to sleep without taking more pills. go without sleep for long enough and try to stay sane. lol, you won't
7. Eating is harder. Sometimes I can't force myself to eat at all. I resort to things I know I like a lot to make it easier. Unfortunately, that means I've only eaten pizza for over a month. Malnutrition? you know it, bro

Seriously, I get why you like taking it. that's why I do. I'm not even telling you not to. Eventually though, you're going to need to up the dosage to achieve original desired results. When you do, at least admit that the drug has some awful consequences.
oh yeah and a cigarette habit that does not exist when i don't take the pills. way to go, adderall (adderrall).
Do any of your doctors test you to be sure you're on the right dose for you?
I was taking Adderall (adderrall) XR10 for ten years, when It didn't feel right anymore. I got re-tested (T.O.V.A) and found that I do better on XR5 now. My brain feels so much better, now.
First off, I applaud you for posting your message, as it is very informative and truthful, whether people know that or not.  I never thought I would post on this issue either, but I feel like it has gotten out of control and something needs to be done.  

I am a 26 year old, second year doctoral student studying physical therapy at a major university.  I hated school my entire life and made mediocre grades all throughout high school and junior college, but somehow got it together and was accepted into a PT (physical therapy) program despite the fact that it is easier to get into medical school than physical therapy school. Even though I made it in, I had a gut feeling that I wouldn't be able to study the way that I needed to in this program so I purposely went to a psychiatrist in the hopes of getting diagnosed with ADD so that I would be prescribed adderal.  

It is worth it to mention that I was somewhat addicted to methamphetamine in high-school, and although this was 6 years later I am still not sure that it wasn't my addiction talking to me to get this adderal.  Either way, before I started taking adderal at 24 years old, I was a happy, thriving person who had a smile on my face 24 hours a day and generally loved life.  I went out with friends, saw movies, golfed, played recreational sports, and was happy to do anything that people suggested.

Unforunately, even though I am now the second year doctoal student I mentioned earlier, who happens to have a 4.0 GPA and works as a doctoral instructional assistant for my department, I am completely wrecked by my adderall (adderrall) addiction.  

My doctor at the student health center started me on 20 mg. 2x a day.  I quickly realized that this was not enough for me as I was in class from 8am-5pm daily and then studied at the libary until 10pm daily.  She quicly upped meo 30 mg. 3 x day, which is a lot more than I have ever heard of anyone being prescribed.  I don't know if it was my inner addiction to methamphetamine calling me or the fact that it really wasn't working anymore, but either way I was prescribed an insane amount per day.

One week after this happened, my life went to hell.  I went from being the happy, talkative, easy going guy; to the angry, anti-social, apathetic piece of **** that I am today.  I haven't been happy a single day in the last year and a half; I have no sex life, even though I have a girlfriend of 5 years who I used to have sex with 5 nights a week; I can't put a smile on my face to save my life; I wake up and the happiest thought I have in my head is what time I get to go to sleep that night; I fight with my girlfriend constantly because she doesn't understand my anger, which neither do I, but for some reason I take it all out on her anyway; I go to sleep angy, wake up angry, and can't do anything without my adderal.  On saturday mornings I need my adderal just to go to the car to get something I left the night before; I need one to go get gas; I need one to go grocery shopping...I NEED ONE TO LIVE!  This is my point, it consumes your life, whether you wanted it or not.  Please don't make the same mistake I did, it is not worth sacrificing your personality!
umm people need to first start off by realizing ADD *adhd does not exist anymore* is called attention deficit DISORDER it is a disordernot a disease at the heart of this it is really just a discipline issue and you can deny it all you want aderral (adderall) is just a stimulant like anything else a very good one at that so when you take it naturally you excell at whatever it is your doing. Now for those worried about side effects ive been on it ever since i was 7 years old im now 19 thats 12 years and i have had no adverse side effects BUT thats not to say you cant stimulants are widly known to cause paranoia and hypocondria just understand these risks. decide for yourself if its worth it. dont ask people online i just gave you all the facts YOU decide and YOU deal with the negative or positive side effects of being on this drug and it is a drug and to those of you who are saying your doctor got you hooked dont kid yourself aderral (adderall) is not in the least bit addictive physically i came off it after dosing myself for 6 years in highschool for a month and had only cravings no physical withdrawl (withdrawal) in the end what this drug really does is based upon how YOU are as a person YOU decide if its right for you or not
Well said Josh!  it's all about self control.
   If only it was that simple.  Josh is living proof that what is a stimulant to the normal population is not to the population with AD/HD.  Aderall is a highly addictive drug to the normal population.  It is not considered to be addictive to the population with AD/HD because it does not give them the "rush" that it gives to the normal population.  Josh did not feel the side effects because the drug did what it was supposed to do for him.  
  And now that Josh is old enough to have control/self discipline and no longer needs the medication - he stopped using it.  Kudos to him!  I do hope he realizes that it is a very different story for a 6 year old to practice the same kind of self discipline that he has.  I also hope that he realizes that you have AD/HD for life.  Its how you deal with it that counts.  If things start getting difficult for him later on - there are a lot of things he can do without going back on to the medication.
Been on Adderall (adderrall) for around 5 years and have never had any effects except that I am able to concentrate and be able to function without my mind being " allover the place"  I even sometimes find I have to take a nap while on it, I was diagnosed with ADD and feel that if you actually do have ADD you will not get the side effects people are speaking about.  I stopped the drug myself for many months only because my Doctor retired and  I have to find another Doctor who treats ADD. No withdrawal or side effects when I stopped  or now.
I am an 18 year old female prescribed Adderall (adderrall) 30mg XR once daily.  I find that sometimes I will feel the effects of the drug, but others hardly at all.  I was prescribed nearly 6 months ago after being diagnosed with Adult ADD. I have always questioned being ADD, but finally got evaluated when college became more of a struggle.  I have lost around 15 pounds and notice other side effects that I want to address with my psychiatrist.  The come down is the most dreaded part of my day and I find myself hoping I don't crash (emotionally) before going to bed or going out (drinking.)  I was also given antidepressants (Zoloft) before the Adderall (adderrall) but terminated use when I started on the Adderall (adderrall).  Hopelessness, heightened irritation, worry, and insomnia are all present during come down. I still have the Zoloft that was prescribed and am curious whether that will decrease the severity of my emotional instability when coming off the Adderall (adderrall) if I begin taking it again.  While there are obvious cons to taking this medication, there is still a lot to be said about the positive effects I have noticed since taking it.  Any general advice to lessening the come down would be appreciated. :)
IT IS BANNED IN AUSTRIA

NOT ALLOWED< NO ONE IS ON IT  !
    I think an important question is did the, "Hopelessness, heightened irritation, worry, and insomnia," exist before you started the meds.    The reason I wonder is that I have seen very few posts on here during the last 4 years where that was a problem.  Typically, as the meds leave your system,  you revert back to the unmedicated state - If you have AD/HD.  If you don't have AD/HD then its a whole different story as you are going through a withdrawal stage.   In any event, I do think that this is important enough to discuss with your doctor.
   Now if you had these sensations or something like these sensations before (maybe the reason why you were prescribed the Zoloft), then this would make sense.  The med you are taking will help concentration - worry and anxiety is something else.  And it is very possible that the worry and anxiety is a byproduct of ADD (which studies show), and just taking the med will not eliminate those problems.  And while the Zoloft will help, what you really need is to understand what ADD is and what it can do to you.
    There are two very good sites that deal with adult ADD.  I think you really need to do a bit more research on the whole issue.  The first site was actually a recent PBS special.  Its all done in short video clips (which drives me crazy).  Its -   **********.com
  The second site is by someone with ADD and it reflects his condition to some extent.  It has a ton of information.  Don't try and take it all in in one sitting.  But I think that you will find it very helpful.  Is - http://jeffsaddmind.com/for-first-time-visitors
    I hope this helps.  Please post if you have other questions or need more resources.  Best wishes!
great response to the ranting. i completely agree.
My parents put me on Ritalin when I was 6, and it ruined my life. I am now 26 and I cannot work because of the disabling treatment-resistant depression and fatigue that I have as a result of being on the drug for years. ADD drugs are not a solution, they are a quick fix. They do work which is why people use them, but when they stop working your child will be left with not only ADD but depression, too. That is what happened to me, and I am not alone. I am finding more and more people to whom this has happened. This is because Ritalin and other stimulant ADD drugs (Concerta, Adderall (adderrall), Vyvanse, Dexadrine, etc) work on the dopamine system which is not only responsible for attention but pleasure, too. The drug has the same mechanism of action as cocaine and the result of long-term use is the same. The drug works for a while and then the person develops a tolerance to the drug and more is needed to achieve the same result. Then the person cannot even feel pleasure without the drug. And finally even the drug doesn't do much to alleviate the person's depression because the dopamine system has been too disrupted. And that is where I am now. I cannot feel pleasure. I resent the fact that I am even still alive, but I have chosen to keep living so that I can warn parents about these medications. I would rather be a school drop-out than live the way that I live now. At least as a school drop-out I would be able to enjoy being alive. Maybe I wouldn't have a great job, but I would at least be able to work and feel pleasure in life. Many ADD kids can become successful adults without medication. They just have to find their niche. I know many people who did not take meds who are thriving in the life paths that they have chosen. Please visit my website www.ritalinawareness.com  and read my story and the research that I have presented on how long-term prescription stimulant use can lead to depression. You can also read about alternatives to medication on my site. There are so many supplements and other brain-training activities that can work for ADD.
Like many have posted on here, if Adderall (adderrall) makes you hyper or excited than you most likely do not have ADD.  An ADD mind has been proven to be structurally different than a normal brain and the use of stimulants in the RIGHT DOSE actually calms the mind and relaxes you.  

Before taking Adderall (adderrall) I was mis-diagnosed as having anxiety issues and prescribed Librium, a very powerful relaxer.  I get a much less powerful, yet similar sensation with taking Adderall (adderrall).  My doctor has patients who need Adderall (adderrall) just to fall asleep to help them relax or else their minds race all night.

Adderall (adderrall) is HIGHLY over prescribed. I was fortunate enough to find a local clinic that specializes in ADD, and they report that 60% of patients that visit them with a diagnosis of ADD from other clinics are WRONG! Unfortunately for those 60% they are taking an extremely addictive drug that has totally the wrong affects on the brain.  

PLEASE SEE AN ADHD SPECIALIST!
Please don't give your children that poison. It is legal speed, with a high similar to methamphetamine. I was perscribed it from age 8-15, when I finally realized what it was doing to me, I stopped taking it immediately. An eight year old does not have the ability to gauge a drug's effect on their personalities, emotions, and overall mental health. They just do not possess that kind of insight at that age. It took me until I was 15 to realize that I was paranoid, anorexic, anxious, depressed, irritable, emotionally unstable, threw up at any sort of physical exercise, had a bad taste in my mouth, dry hands and lips, and constantly on edge because of this drug. When I stopped taking it, my personality completely changed. I got to be who I really was, sober, without mind-altering chemicals in my brain. I felt cheated that I had never been allowed to discover this before. Also, since I have ADD and a history of addiction and alcoholism in my family, I am predisposed to have similar issues myself. Taking this powerful intoxicant got my brain used to being stimulated as such, and a few poor life choices and I became a full-blown drug addict. It took me so much time and effort to get my life back together, and I feel like those amphetamines kind of triggered the addictive part of my brain whereas if I had been allowed to learn to discipline myself without drugs that part of my brain would have remained untouched. I wonder how different my life would have been, if I would have been normal like my sister. If your children have any sort of predisposition to the disease of addiction, it is so risky to give them these kinds of meds. Please exercise the utmost caution. I have seen some horrible things in my life and hate to think of children going through the same things.

There are other alternatives to treating ADHD--please look at this website, it talks about these computer programs that are controlled by brain waves, and they basically create new neurological pathways in the brain to help concentration, focus and mental discipline, and it has been shown to be very helpful with depression and ADHD.

Also, look at what it's supposed to do, this adderall (adderrall) and all other stimulant ADHD medications: increase motivation, focus, and concentration. These are not just things that some kids are born with and some are not. They are cultivated life skills. There is no quick fix to give your child these things, they can't just put them in a pill and suddenly your child will be normal. They aren't sick, their brains just work in a different way and they need more guidance and help organizing and disciplining themselves. I'm not saying ADHD doesn't exist, I'm just saying that a pill won't fix your children's behavioral problems.
Oops forgot to put the website http://www.*************************.com/adhd-educational-software.html
Most of the posts on this board are shockingly ignorant. All these kids who say that adderall (adderrall) has ruined their lives--we feel bad for you. Your stories are important and we should hear them and consider the reason why their lives have been so terribly disrupted.

However, these people need to sit back and realize that their personal stories are simply that: personal stories. Their experiences are not gospel no matter how much conviction is in their vitriolic spew. It is better for the overall health of the board if people do not post "facts" about this drug, because everything is 100% subjective. This drug works for people. It doesn't work for others. I wish for these people that they relinquish their anger towards the drug and learn a modicum of respect and responsibility. These people very well may have gotten the short end of a stick but we all have, and that's why we are on this board. Go get help, go to rehab, and read. Read a lot. Read about other people's experiences until you truly understand your place in the world and the spectrum of experience.
I have been taking time released 10mg 2 times a day 14 yrs I have noticed some addiction to it or so I thought but I was wrong!
    As I got older I thought the medicine was doing everything for me so I got the thought in my head,I need this,I guess every day to be normal. As time went by I would feel tired or depressed as some have wrote,but after doing a lot of thinking about it. I noticed I was relying on the medicine to much to motivate me. I had become lazy minded I guess you could say.
        I have sense then have put forth the effort  to be more. The medicine does help with focusing more. It is when!  u think it is the medicine doing it all, u feel addicted.   try not to think about the medicine. Try and keep yourself active,but not to active!
I find that if I live a active and healthy life style I feel really good like ''balanced!'' Eat healthy to.the medicine tends to curve you appetite. I HOPE THIS HELPS SOME OF YOU WITH YOUR ISSUES! ''I HAVE ONLY BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH ADHD.
I'm not sure if anyone is going to see this, but I'll tell my story on why I thin adderall (adderrall) is the worst thing ever and has messed up my brain. I'm only 18, and when I was 17 I started taking the little 10millagram pills. I was fine with those, and so I moved to the 30 mil capsule. The first two times I took that I was fine, I would get sad but I still felt the same when it wore off. Then about 6 months ago I took another 30 mil capsule (Yes I know it's nothing, and I sound like a *****) and I haven't ever felt the same since then. I feel like my mind is in a fog 24-7, and I space out all the time. It ***** and I'm sick of it. I don't know if I should take another one to see what happens, or keep taking the bs pills the doctors give me which are no help.
   David, the pills are completely out of your system in one day.  Something that you took 6 months ago is not going to have any effect now.  However, the feeling that you are describing sounds like what the pills might eliminate.  At any rate, this is something that you need to discuss with your doctor.
It's helpful to remember most of the trolls on these sorts of threads are also members of certain pharmacological versions of E.L.F. and P.I.T.A.

Just listen to your doctor and a few of the stimulant-salt-vets. I started taking Adderall (adderrall) with a fairly significant dosage (40 - 60 mg/day) prescribed. I often don't need the afternoon boost (that's the 20mg bump to the 40 I take in the A.M. if needed). It's been very stable to me. My focus remains solid after a year. I also sleep more soundly. It should be said, however, I take 200mg of Lamictal in addition.

Take the words of naysayers with a grain of salt...stimulant-variety or otherwise ;)
I was given 30mg a day and used as directed by my doctor for about 5 years.  It was great for the first 3, everything was normal, I was doing better in school, I was more outgoin, and generally more responsible.  After year 4, however, I started noticing some negative side effect: anxiety, paranoia, mood swings, depression; all risks the doctors informed me of as did any information I read on the stuff.  I shrugged it off and told myself it was everything except the drug that was wrong and continued to take it for 2 more years until I just could handle the stress anymore.  It made me a zombie, I couldn't feel anything or from genuine thoughts, but I was still very alert in the sense of being awake but not able to concentrate.  I stopped taking it.  Withdrawl (withdrawal) set in immediately coupled with depression and all the other negative crap that goes with it.  That lasted for the better part of 5 months and it tooke me another year and a half to really feel normal again and be able to feel happy.  I never abused it , rarely skipped a dosage, and get good tabs on its effects.  Some people just don't mix well with these substances.  I have friends who have taken it regularly for years and are fine, while I have other friends with experiences like mine.  
To sum it all up, starting out on a low doese, like a responsible doctor should advise, is fine for a few months.  See how you react with it and keep very good notes on its postive and negative effects.  All this talk about addiction is misleading.  You won't become physically dependant or mentally addicted on this substance after just a month of moderated usage, that's ridiculous.  But it can happen over the course of several months to a year, it really just depends on the individual and how you react to regular use of a mind altering substance.  And anyone who convinces themselves that taking a being on this drug is a "normal" way to feel is an idiot.  Its a stimulant and a powerful one at that.  Its designed to enhance neural activity beyond normal operating capacity so in my humble opinion its something that should not be used long term, or if it is, its not to be taken lightly.  There are risks, I and several others here are examples of that, but there can be great benefits to taking this drug.  And to all those going through that withdrawl (withdrawal) phase, its awful but it does get better.  Your body and brain just need time to recover, it took me 2 years to start to feel like my old self again and even longer to remember what that meant but it did happen.  Just keep in mind that the way you're feeling is the result of a correction your brain is trying to make and not that the world is against you.  Good luck everyone
After reading everything written on here I'd figure I'd share my two cents. I'm a 26lot year old woman who has been on adderall (adderrall) for almost 6 years (given a month or so every year I wouldn't be on it just bc it was summer). I take 30mg of XR once a day. Of course it had nothing it's minor side affects, but nothing extreme. I'm not a person who gets addicted to drugs, but I started noticing a change in my behavior, my hands shaky, depressed at times, and here's what scared me, I starting taking 2 pills then up to 3 bc my body started to build a tolerance for the medication and the obvious addiction. I was never the type who would curse at my parents when in a disagreement. I don't call them names, I just curse and lash out. I started noticing that the smallest things annoy me. Here's what topped it off and scared the crap out of me, I not only have the issue of forgetting a simple word in a conversation I now have a minor stuttering problem. It's not all the time but it's an issue that bothers me and embarrassing at the same time. Any ideas on why/how I ended up with a slight stuttering problem? I'm very active in sports, gym, musical instruments, etc. My memory isn't like before, it's not that bad I'm noticing a decrease. I'm done with taking adderall (adderrall), today is my last day. I can't sit here and blame anyone or thing, I just don't like what it's starting to do to me. I don't want to go through life depending on medication, granite I'm depressed at times but I refuse to take depression pills. I control myself, my mind, me. I used to meditate a lot (been doing so since I was 14) and will now make it a constant routine. It breaks my heart when I curse at my parents and can see the hurt in their eyes. I'm just adding frivolous stress to their life as well as my own. Sorry for the rant. I guess my main question is the stuttering. I've noticed after reading all the posts that I obviously don't have a severe ADD problem, if that was case I would've been diagnosed a long time ago. It was a great drug at the time but it slowly started to have adverse affects on me and got me hooked out of the blue. For those who haven't had any major side affects, I'm happy for you. But it's not for me, not anymore. Just keep an I eye on your child's behavior as time goes on, I would suggest natural supplements for young kids, not adderall (adderrall).
LOL at all the long posts about adderall (adderrall)... go figure. I took adderall (adderrall) for 7/8 years and would not recommend this drug to anyone. Period. It's great at first and then you wake up one day and realize you're a speed freak. Definitely don't give this stuff to your children. Good Day.
my daughter is on adderall (adderrall). 30mg.she has been on adhd medicine since she was 5...she is 14 now....it works great for her...with out it she is very hyper and cant really control her emotions...acts younger than she is..or she is very excited....but i did realize then sometimes she forgets her medicine..or theres a laps while waiting to get her presctiptions...she has withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms after about 3 days....on her second day she gets very sleepy...3rd day she gets shakey (shaky)..headakes and pukes..she gets very sleepy...she also wants to eat all day long when not on her medicine..she has been on it for almost 10 yrs...she definitly withdrawls..i think anyone who will be taking there kids off this medicine who have been on it many years should ween them off it...not just stop cold turkey..but for my daughter this medicine does work..
After reading over half of these entries I decided I needed to post one of my own.  I am 25/yr old female who has been diagnosed with ADD, and it also runs in my family.  Not only do I have ADD, but I suffer from both anxiety/panic attacks.  I realize that their is relationship with the medication of adderall (adderrall) and anxiety, but I was experiencing the severe anxiety way before I was medicated for adderall (adderrall) (20 mg).  Now I am a strong believer that all Drugs/ Substances affect people differently! This is obvious to me because every person is different, our brain chemistry is different...no two people are identical.  So even if their is a common disability such as ADD, and people are taking a common medication such as adderall (adderrall)...it doesnt mean it is going to effect them in the same exact way...and this goes for both the pro's and the con's.    Ive been on my medication now for about two years and have been on the fence with attempting to get off it, but it is a struggle.  I do have ADD, such as a VERY short attention span, impulsivness, scatterbrained, disorganization, overly social, get bored easily...etc etc..  Which can make life very difficult at times...especially with all the tasks "the man, and the world makes you do..."  I find that the medicine does help me to focus better, put me in the zone, be more organized, attentive, quieter....which I mean there are pro's and cons to both sides of the spectrum.   I am a musician/artist...I find most people that are in the artistic realm or creative mind commonly coincide with people that are ADD...so when I'm not taking my medication I am more outgoing, and free spirited and creative...and people/myself love this about me...But I guess with everything you have to take the BAD with the GOOD....Does the Good outweigh the BAD or does the BAD outweigh the GOOD???  I guess thats the main question...I also fear and worry the side effects and long term affects that it has on the brain and my brain chemistry.  I currently have not taken my medication for about a week while used to taking 20 mg EVERY DAY..and Ive been on a mental emotional physical roller coaster...and not a good one.  I have really bad anxiety, I feel off, I feel tired, unfocused, dislexic , "Darkclouded/detached"  ...so I don't know...I have experienced these symptoms before as I have said I do suffer from anxiety/panic disorder....Sometimes I just want to get off EVERYTHING all together but I don't know if I can, should, what the negative outcomes will be....just writing this entry I already feel all over the place, so I hope it makes sense to some.  Im also a very deep thinker, emotional, analytical, and spiritual.....so sometimes I wonder if it has anything to do with those factors.  At the end of the day, I really just try to pray to God and hope he gives me an answer or supernaturally heals me.  Now I know some people  possibly "non christians" think Im off my rocker now because Ohhhh noo I mentioned God!  But no...Im not crazy, and Im not knocking anyones beliefs...Sometimes it just all seems like such a tasks...ya know GUYS???  Its like we didn't pop out of the womb needing medication and doctors and all this stuff....and then WHAT HAPPEND???  Im still so unsure of it all, and what Im going to do about my situation...any questions, comments, concerns??? Would love to hear them!    One Love and God Bless you All!  
you were being niave. Not everyone is the same. and it sounds to me you took extra and extra not because of the drug itself but because of the effects. the drug is not bad it helps people concentrate. people that see the drastic change in their work habits may take an extra fine liking to the drug and start to take more to further the effects. amphetamines when taken regularly block the recycling of dopemines in the brain causing them to be washed away instead of reused. this, in turn, lowers the amount of dopemine the brain has to release causing a person that is seeking that dramatic change to think that more is needed to get it. and it isnt because the brain simply cannot produce that stimulation. if taken properly and with self consciousness it is helpful for everyday tasks dealing with focus. obviously you have been mislead by you past doctors that are clearly abusing powers for money. i have had this happen and so have many others. it is not the doctors fault or the governments fault. it is in part but the responsibilty mostly falls on your shoulders and clearly you let it get the best of you. drug arent bad. people are bad. its kinda like how guns dont kill people, people kill people.
Yes, if you're on the wrong meds and they're causing horrible effects, then by all means, get off of them, and if your providers won't listen to your desire to try other meds or other types of treatment, then get different ones who will.

That being said, stimulant therapy does help most children and adults with AD/HD. Some have other neuro issues in addition or other physiological reasons that stimulants might not work or might have intolerable side effects.

Remember that AD/HD is usually diagnosed behaviorally, that is, by a provider who observes the signs of it. Most providers aren't doing a full neuropsych testing battery, often because insurance won't pay for it. So, a lot of people are getting the AD/HD diagnosis when they actually have other issues that are causing AD/HD symptoms (could be an anxiety disorder, hormonal disorder, trauma symptoms, childhood depression, sensory processing disorder -- the list goes on and on). For these folks who don't actually have the biochemistry of AD/HD, stimulants help some of them manage their AD/HD-like symptoms, but for other folks, it doesn't help or makes things worse.

If you can find a way to pay for it, I would suggest doing ongoing therapy with a psychologist, counselor (expressive therapist if for a child), and/or an occupational therapist. Doing ongoing work with these folks and having them really get to know you will help you get a more accurate diagnosis as to whether it's really AD/HD or whether there are other issues. A psychiatric prescriber who sees you a few times for a short visit can often correctly diagnose you, but often also is missing part of the picture because s/he doesn't usually have the benefit of talking or playing with patients for an hour a week to get to really know them. Once you have a clearer diagnostic picture, then the ongoing therapist can report to the prescriber and get you on meds that more accurately target your issues.
Thanks for your feedback you guys...

The night that I wrote this entry like I had said, I was having really bad withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms after stopping taking my medication cold turkey...while usually being prescribed 20mg a day for about 2 yrs....I was only off of it for about a week or so, and as I know your not supposed to stop any medication you take long term like that cold turkey, but the prescribed tablet adderall (adderrall) I was prescribed to was on backorder and then just recently was taken off the market.  Well I told my mom the feelings I was experiencing all the research I was reading about adderall (adderrall) that really freaked me out and made me even MORE ANXIOUS...Made me want to get off of it...well she took my script to the doc. and he put me on the XR instead which I guess I not off the market...and its still different then Im used too, and Im still feeling unbalanced...sometimes it works good and other times it doesnt or makes me anxious or cloudy...I don't know if its too high of a dosage..or Im not used to it or what??? Because I literally took my previously prescribed 20 mg adderall (adderrall) tablet once a day..and I usually would split it in half and take half in the morning and the other half later on in the day...so now that Im taking 20 mg XR is that why its making me feel like this?   Also what is considered, "Long term Use?"  Is two years Long term?  Is it time I get off?  Also I do not have health insurance so its expensivd as hell to go to the doctor every time, since I just recently moved back home and had to switch doctors my first visit was $100 and every additional visit will be $50!  Im still thinking maybe I should just get off them all together, but Im scared and I don't know what to do...
I have ADHD and I have an 8 year old son that has Autism. He isn't medicated but I take Adderall (adderrall) 10mg 3x a day. If your sons are in the early stages of taking the medication they will show symptoms of nervousness until they are used to the effects. They will go away but autistic children on stimulants can be a good thing or a bad thing. If they were hyper or unable to focus before it should help in a few weeks or months but if they were perscribed Adderall (adderrall) for autism you should get a 2nd opinion by a Psychiarist or a Nerologist whom specialize in disorders of the mind.
i personaly agree with what you wrote. I am 20 and was put on adderall (adderrall) from 5-17. it caused serever joint pain, panic attacks, and bad mood swings. i do agree kids should not be put on adderall (adderrall)
    Have you had any panic attacks or anxiety since going off the med?
well, I was told I had ADD in the 7th grade. At the time it it cost too much for my mother to have me tested and I told her not to do. Again freshman yr of college one of my professors asked me about it again. Long story short I was test for it at my university and at a Dr. office. The outcome was yes you have ADD. I've been taking 30 mg  once a day for 6yrs. Never any more then that! No, weight loss or gain ( to me is a good thing). I don't know if it's just me but it works. I would suggest to listen to your dr. I did have a few minor side effect at first but it was because they were trying to find the right dose and were using other med. than adderall (adderrall). For the dry mouth thing just chew gum all day and make sure to drink a lot of water!  Good luck everyone!
Oh yeah and for the parents who have kids with ADD or ADHD check out this web pg http://www.drugs.com/pro/adderall-xr.html
Good luck to all!
P.S. If your Dr. has you on more than 30 RX mg a day I would suggest finding  a new Dr.
    Very good comments.  Welcome to this site.  I hope you keep sharing your information with us.  Its always good to hear from those personally involved.  By the way there are a variety of reasons why a person might be on more than 30 mgs a day - most dealing with the uptake of the med.  So it is possible that there is a valid need for a larger dose - we are all different.
There are facts about the damage these drugs do. I have compiled studies on my website ritalinawareness.com if you care to read it. We are talking about our experiences with these drugs so that parents have another perspective about the medications so that they can make an informed decision. The bottom line is that if the child doesn't feel right on the drug, then the child should not have to take it. Both me and nataliepk had bad experiences when we were on the drug and the doctors didn't listen or intervene to get us off the drug. If the drug really works for someone, good. The major problem comes when the child is suffering on the drug and the doctors are ignoring it.    
I've been prescribed adderrall for 6 years. Personally I don't think any parents should allow there child to take amphetamines & after all of the different highs and lows I've had from the drug I couldn't imagine how a kid in elementary school would benefit from this.. I was diagnosed with add when I was 8 & i struggled with my grades but I managed. I  wish that adderrall wouldn't have ever been an option for me because I definitely have the same problems as everyone above.
     Welcome to the world of adult ADD.  Pretty classic stuff.   Some thoughts.
Ya, the grammar does drive me a bit nutty - but you should see the posts on the child behavior sites.   I tend to think that those people with a better education have more money and thus get doctors who actually give a damn and do more then just hand out pills.   Thus, they are less likely to post here cause they got docs who take the time to inform them what is going on.  
   I have seen numerous adult posts where they have been able to use the adderall (adderrall) on demand.  Either by taking it at a certain time of the day or when some really important event was going on.  
   I also think that the more you learn about adult ADD, the more you will learn how to understand and thus compensate for it.  There are two good adult ADD sites that I know of.  They are a little difficult to navigate and not  as personal as this, but they have a ton of info and plenty of people who are going through what you are going through.    http://jeffsaddmind.com/for-first-time-visitors         would be my first choice to check out - but it will eat  up your time.  Its almost addicting.  The second site is totallyadd.com and also has a ton of info.   In both of the sites check out the sections on what it like to have ADD - you will find your self mentioned there a lot.
     Finally, sites like Jeffs have now been posting for 5 years.  You will find people with med experiences that will be helpful to to.
    Thanks for posting and if we can answer any more questions, please feel free to post.  Or, if you have anything to share about your journey - please do so.  Best wishes.
yea, like any other drug you feel AMAZING at first, even the first few years give it time. All it is; is clean meth.
I just wanted to let you know that you are spot on in regard to what you said.  I am a licensed independent psychotherapist and I have seen the symptoms of many disorders in many people.  The symptoms of ADHD can look just like bipolar disorder.  Any stimulant for ADHD is a paradoxical medication.  If you do not have ADHD it will not work the same as it does for someone who actually has the disorder.  And as with any medication, it can effect everyone differently.  I personally have diagnosed both bipolar disorder and ADHD and it is a fairly tedious process.  Many doctors will give individuals medication for a disorder not really knowing what the diagnosis really is.  Sometimes it is very obvious a person has a disorder and sometimes it is a matter of checking the diagnostic criteria over as well as monitoring someone over a period of time to make sure.  
You're coming down. Get over it for Christ's sake. I thought about swallowing the end of a rifle, but that is life and today's society attributing to that perspective. Sleep, get up and move on.
I have been on addrell for over ten years and have tried many other adhd medication.  I am also a coach, run the local CHADD chapter and was a drug and achohol councillor. I am also typing this on my phone so if a crazy word pops up i am blaming auto correct.

After reading the post before mine i will have to say the key here is to take care of your self first. Meds or not. Here are the tips i give everyone on this meds
Adderal makes you dehidreated, dring water.
Adderal works with protein, eat a good protein based brakfast.
Adderal effects your apatite, eat something at each meal. It does not need to be a big meal but you need something.
Always take your meds every day. Personally i do the normal release so i can control my meds. Crazy days i take my fun doseage. Calm, lazy days i talk half or less. But i always take something. This is to advoid withdraw and a crash when i take my full dosage again.

Withdraw *****, it is the caffine headake from hell, moodness, and you are exhausted. Think about it. Your body is expecting a stimulant and you just took it away. You will crave caffine and suger. It can last days or weeks. It deepens on how long and how much. Caffine can help.

This last bit i can not stress enough. Everyone picks there way of medicating there adhd. This can be with caffine, energy drinks and shots, coffee, street drugs, cigs, etc.  It is not the med you get addicted to it is the feeling that you can be "normal" and thrive.  Do what works for you and take care of you. Good luck!!!
   A great answer, but you may not have noticed if you were reading this via your phone that Lisa posted once in 2007 and never posted again - so I doubt that she read your great answer.  Which is a shame because I have an idea of how long it must have taken you to type the post on your phone.
    You can always click on the posters name and see when the last time or how many times they have posted.
     I do hope that you will continue to post here as its nice to have someone else with experience.
The misinformation and displaced anger exhibited in threads like these is shocking. One wouldn't take a grandparent's blood pressure pills, pass out and drop to the floor a few times and conclude the drug is dangerous. Similarly, one wouldn't take a neighbor's chemotherapy pills, end up near death in an emergency room, then claim the drug manufacturer is selling poison. Just as one wouldn't take someone else's siezure medication, experience terrifying side effects, and announce to the world that no one should take it.
No, those absurd reactions would be as stupid as someone taking a pharmaceutical designed only for definitive ADD, experiencing side effects, then proclaiming no one should ever take it.
The medical journals regarding this topic are very explicit: more than half of those currently taking prescribed ADD meds have been diagnosed incorrectly and/or are on the wrong medication. For those lacking in statistical skill, logical application, or common sense, this means you can completely ignore the majority of negative posts on this topic.
Personally, I owe the last eleven years of my adult life to this compound, and to the doctors who correctly diagnosed and prescribed it for my condition. I am SO grateful to have been born at a time in human history when imbalances or conditions such as mine could be recognized and effectively treated. If not, I most certainly would not be alive, healthy, and active today at age 58, enjoying 5 incredible grandchildren, my wonderful wife of 36 years, and still working two full time jobs.
By age 47, I was falling asleep at the wheel, I was in a perpetual state of exhaustion, my body felt like it was falling apart, and I was pretty much losing my will to live. After UNsuccessful outcomes with antidepressants, anti-narcoleptics, and even antischizophrenic drugs, my doctor at the time, had me try straterra, ritalin, then adderal. It was only adderall (adderrall) that fit. I was alert and focused when I needed to be, yet I could/can still fall asleep in under 2 minutes anytime, anywhere, if I can sit somewhere and you let me have a ten minute nap.
I was on 20mg, twice a day, for a couple years. And I've been on 30mg, twice/day for an additional 9 years. I believe the reason I haven't experienced tolerance, and therefore a need to increase the dosage, is I don't take it when I know I'll be doing something very active, plus I'll randomly take half-tabs every so often instead of full tabs. I feel it has helped me to NOT maintain a high, steady-state background level all the time.
Anyway, bottom-line, I feel bad for the sincere posters who have been misdiagnosed and don't know it. I feel sorry for those correctly diagnosed who haven't discovered their optimum treatment. And, what a travesty to those of you who felt the need to abuse perfectly good meds, then blame them on the consequences.
To all the people claiming 2 have withdrawals or addictions 2 Adderall (adderrall) PLEASE get a 2nd opinion bc you must have been misdiagnosed...I am the poster child for the addictive personality I'm 36 I smoke cigs & pot daily drink 2 2ltr diet comes a day & drink a couple times a wk & although I don't seek it out I can't say no if I'm offered cocaine & will keep going til it's gone same goes for ecstasy & hallucinogens BUT I've been on Adderall (adderrall) for @ least 8yrs now & other than being sluggish & unmotivated hav gone days & even wks w/o it & not had ANY withdrawals
Just to add my 2 cents in on this. I have MS. I take 20 MG time released capsules every morning. I have minimal side effects from not taking it. I am very tired as the day goes on but I have NO "craving" for the drug. I try not to take it on the weekends for the simple reason I hate taking any drugs so I avoid them when I can.

The results of taking the Adderall (adderrall) are amazing for ME. I can stay awake all day, organize my thoughts and just function like I should. Without it I am very tired by the end of the day, have trouble remembering, and i am generally unorganized. The side effect of the drug for me is I have trouble sleeping at night.

It a viscous circle for me. I take the Adderall (adderrall) to stay awake during the day and pop a couple of Advill PM to sleep at night.

Overall the side effect are mush less bothersome than not taking anything

As with any drug what works for one won't work for the other so its a trial and error issue. Luckily it work for me!!

Hope this might help someone make an informed decision as to whether or not to take this.