ADD / ADHD Community
adhd

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

adhd

Will my child come out with adhd
I'm guessing you're pregnant?
Do you have ADHD?
If so there's a slight chance that your baby may develop it.
One of my four sons has moderate ADD...which he obviously got from me.
It CAN be hereditary.
Just keep in mind that just because one person in a family has it, that not all family members will have it...in fact, I was the first person in my family to ever be diagnosed with it.
My advice to you is never to worry about things that have not happened. Enjoy your pregnancy and when your lovely baby is born, don't go out of your way looking for problems that he might or might not have. If there is a problem it will make itself apparent. However, if you expect a problem, you might actually create one.

Before I had children I didn't think ADHD was a real disorder.  So u can imagine when all 3 children was diagnosed with adhd it was a real slap in the face. They got it from they father side. An I would of never guessed in a million years it was passed from parents to children. I have learned to love them for them. They not perfect some days are a challenge but its always neat to see the perspective they see things.
Right now no one knows what causes ADHD, but there is a strong correlation with ADHD and the fathers gene. Look at the fathers side of the family and it will give you an idea.
I've never heard or read about that one before.
My son's pediatrician says that he has it because I do...my mom has signs of it too.
My dad's side all seems to be "normal" ...aside from the fact that 99% of them are alcoholics.
The geneticists that we see on a yearly basis has never said anything about that either. My family seems to carry a form of Muscular Dystrophy that passes from the women onto the men, so we go in for blood work etc all the time in order to "help" science.
I'll have to ask them about that the next time we see them.
Thanks for the info.
I have read that it affects more males then females with something like a three to one ratio, but I did not know this fact either.