ADD / ADHD Community
adhd

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

adhd

Hi. My son is 10 years old with severe adhd. He has been on meds since he was 5. Recently we have had to change his meds for the first time in 5 yrs.(nightmare) I hadn't really thought about it til now but am really interested in some natural remedies for this. Even some over the counter meds would be fine. Does anyone have something they do for their child that works well?
Tags: ADHD
I gave my hyperactive daughter coffee. No nasty physical or mental side effects. And it made her feel very grown up.
On a whim I just went to the internet and looked up "coffee ADHD." Bingo! There were several sites. And all I did was use common sense. Mothers can be really smart when the health of their children is at stake.
Hi there and welcome to med help.  Well, I don't personally know of natural remedies that have any proven track record or any studies to back them up.  However, some do use fish oil supplements and swear by it.  "Little Critters' brand makes one that is a gummie version.  Some people do go the dietary route of looking at various food sensitivities as well to see if they affect behavior.  

I don't have a child with add/adhd but one with sensory integration disorder.  many of the symptoms can look very similar as both are nervous system based issues.  We have done occupational therapy for my son which really has an amazing calming affect on him as well as organizing of his executive function and helps with focus.  They do something called 'heavy work' which you can google sensory integrarion disorder and heavy work and will get a big list of activiites.   It's basically physical activity and often includes deep pressure.  Jumping on a trampoline, climbing walls or structures, swinging, riding a bike, swimming are all good examples of 'heavy work'.  A punching bag that a child works up a swear working out on is awesome.  Push ups and crab walks all center the nervous system.  We do a lot of this type of thing and it helps tremendously.  

so, if I had an add/adhd child, I would add on this type of activity to see if it helped.  I also feel like if medication is working for a child so that they can have a good experience at school, that it is worth continuing.  The bottom line is that some kids do better with medications for add/adhd and perhaps adding to it with natural remedies will help.  

I do wish you well and commend you for addressing your child's issues through intervention early on.  makes a HUGE difference down the road.  good luck
   Specialmoms suggestions are very good and I agree completely.
     In the many years I have been on this site,  your question has been asked and I have usually given essentially the same diet response as Specialmom and always asked the poster to let me know if they find anything helpful.  No one has ever gotten back to me with something that has made a difference :(
    Here is a site that has probably the most complete treatment I have seen of all the different possibilities.  It is certainly worth your time to check it out.
http://www.help4adhd.org/en/treatment/complementary/WWK6
    Hope this helps.
Interesting.
  Coffee & ADHD????  Seems like it would make them MORE hyper?? Gonna research.
My son has sensory and anything with caffeine makes for a 'bad' situation.  But he doesn't have add/adhd----  so I guess the posters daughter really had add/adhd.