ADD / ADHD Community
apain attack in fingers and toes. my son was suggested to have asperger...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

apain attack in fingers and toes. my son was suggested to have asperger, not confirmed

Can children with autism or asperger syndrome have pain attacks in their fingers and toes (all of them)? We were told that he may have asperger (not comfirmed yet as he was just seen by a neurologist. Main reason to see the neurologist was his pain), however, is this pain common in autistic children? The pain comes when he is emotionally stressed, not happy, irritated. (I really cannot understand why he gets so upset) He starts banging his fingers, punching them. He would also bend all of toes backwards and jump on them when the pain comes. I've done blood test, fabry test, x-ray, everything possible to find out what this pain is until what was suggested by the neurologist. I've been reading so much about asperger, and it seems like he may have mild pervasive disorder. I just want to help him with the pain attack. It's been going on more than 1 year  now.
I had pain attacks in my fingers and toes - but it ended up being Ehlers-Danlos.  Is he hyperflexible, have stretchy skin, or really bad eyesight.  It is a commonly missed genetic syndrome.
Yes, he is hyperflexible, but does not have stretchy skin or bad eyesight. He is only 5 years old having these pain attacks. How did you deal with the pain? He starts bending them backward or punching fingers. Did the pain happen when something bothers you emotionally?? His pediatrician thinks this is something that we should just ignore, but I know he is not making it all up. The pain is there.
People thought i was making it all up.  It wasn't until my daughter's eye doctor whistled at my myopia and asked me if I had arthritis as a child.  He also noted a familial history of corneal detachments.  We went to a geneticist and he asked me to open my mouth - I had a high arched palate which is a genetic marker.  Ehlers-Danlos is a spectrum disease and my daughter (who is incredibly hyperflexible and complains about pain all the time) has perfect vision.  Ask the dentist about his palate when his next visit (alot of peditricians wouldn't probbaly know what to look for).  Her face changed alot as a baby - the most of any of my children - which is also a sign.

As far as the pain goes - give him some children's tylenol and tell him to soak his fingers.  My daughter has alot of pain in her fingers and her hands get tired when she is writing.