ADD / ADHD Community
children these days! :)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

children these days! :)

has any one noticed an increasing rate in children with ADD? as a child i had a mild form. I am now 20 and my little brother 9, he has quite a bad case and really struggles in school with his friendships and school work. these are probably quite common issues as i experienced a similar situation. now when I meet his friends round the family home i notice they are all showing signs of misbehaviour, ill concentration and hyperactivity! i have now used yoga to calm my residual anxiety but ive noticed they cannot sit still for more than a minute and was wondering if this is increasing in western youth especially? also to me it seems at an alarming rate, has the norm of hyperactivity shot up and is there the possibility most children could end up with ADHD/ADD? what is the root of this increase? i dont think we can blame it on bad parenting!
   Congratulations on finding a way to help you with your AD/HD.   Think back many years and ask yourself if at age 9, you would have embraced yoga as a way to help yourself.  Thats what makes it so hard for kids with ADHD.  If they have not been taught coping skills, life can be really difficult.
  You wondered about all his friends being hyper, etc.  Its kind of unusual for really calm, mellow kids to hang out with ADHD kids.  They both would drive each other nuts (at this age).  Point being that ADHD kids will tend to hang out with others of the same temperament, so what you are seeing is a group skewed in that direction.  However, every statistic I have seen has pointed to a large increase in kids with ADHD.   Most experts seem to feel that at least part of the reason is a better awareness of ADHD, which leads to many more kids being diagnosed today.   And, of course, not all the diagnosis are accurate.  Some/Many doctors are overworked and don't do their homework and take the easy medication way out.  
   By the way, bad parenting has nothing to do with ADHD.  It does have a lot to do with a child who seems to have the  symptoms, but does not have ADHD - just a profound lack of structure.  One reason that for ADHD to be diagnosed, it has to be present in more then just the home setting.  
   Hope this helps answer your question.  If your parents happen to need some links to sites that have good suggestions on ways to help your little bro - you know where to find me.  Best wishes.
haha no i would of laughed in my mums face back then, yoga?!?!?!? :O terrible, i know :/
this is great thanks yeaa i guess when my brother was born and had to help around the house it gave me more perpose to focus and i felt like i knew what i was doing, but thats sounds pretty spot on with the kids he hangs out with not all his friends are alike but a fair majority that i've met.
doctors! i completely agree i've learnt to love some and can now pick out the ones that take the easy route from a far distance haha embarrassingly have walked out of an appointment before because i thought that i knew more than him in general
also i didn't mean to imply that i was down to bad parenting but have met some who feel its there fault almost of course i tell them its preposterous to even start to think that but is it an issue in your experience maybe for kids who haven't been diagnosed?
we've actually got him playing ice hockey now and he loves it definitely burns of some of his excess energy :)
It would be helpful for you to understand the mind body connection.  It isn't 'burning off excess energy' but regulating the nervous system.  good luck
Look to the ever increasing use of pesticides and toxic additives, and the addition of gmos to our food supply. Look to air and landfill pollution. Look to Chernobyl and Fukushima.  Look to excessive vaccination affecting the immune systems of the young. And on and on....
yeas this is a good and valid point! either way burning energy off by playing hockey often helps him concentrate when he does his home work after and of course we sit down help him though the work and it goes ok! but definitely he isn't in a rush to go see his friends or do something that is more of interest to him than primary level maths or whatever subject hes given.
also was searching through children's health sites on google and this popped up i was wondering if anybody has heard about the Buteyko breathing method? I was sent this link about http://learnbuteyko.com/buteyko-for-kids/ comments or suggestions would be appreciated as my friend is considering doing and did want her to jump the gun!
I know about the system vis-a-vis asthma and have tried it out myself. I did not know there was a specific use for it with kids. I will check out the site.

But I do have a recommendation for you. It is called the Brazilian Toe Technique. It is used for anxiety, insomnia, panic attacks and, I should think, hyperactivity. It employs acupressure. I suffer panic attacks due to surges of cortisol. There are pills for this, but someone came up with a better solution.

You lie down and someone (a family member for instance) holds each of your toes in turn (in a specific manner and sequence). The treatment is complete in 15 minutes. You are tranquil and relaxed when it is over, no matter how agitated you were to begin with. It has never failed with me. The other night I had painful stomach cramps and was going to take a pain  pill. But we decided to first try the Toe Technique and, much to my amazement, the pain was gone. You can't help but wonder at Chinese medicine.
Another thing to consider is that some kids crave deep pressure and impact.  It is the nervous system that craves this input to help it calm down and regulate it.  Finding ways to incorporate this into their day really can help.  When you understand the brain/body connection, it all makes sense.  Wrestling, laying on the ground and applying pressure with pillows, giving a child a tight hug and teaching them to squeeze themselves, swimming, lifting light weights.  All of these activities are soothing to the nervous system.  

A child that struggles in school benefits from some of these types of activities before school.  It's not 'excess' energy for some kids but rather an overactive nervous system seeking something to calm it. Give it to them and many kids will do much better throughout the day.  

the Brazilian toe technique sounds wonderful if you ask me, haha :) i'm a bit weary of chinese medicine i was on a course of this foul brown stuff i tell thee my farts got worse than the eczema i was trying to treat in the first place haha :/
yea i play ice hockey im very relaxed afterward maybe thats the key! :) off topic but its funny you say though theres a lot of health and saftey with the way we treat kids nowadays i agree with loads of it but i think we're getting close to completely eradicating our rough n ready animalistic side :/ and dont get me started on hand sanitiser gel haha :D
Don't knock it if you haven't tried it. If it works for me it will work for others. And there are no poison pills involved.
hey!! i didnt mean to offend i was seriously saying i would give it a go, sorry!!! :/
You didn't offend me, so there is nothing to e sorry for.