ADD / ADHD Community
does my son hsve adhd or aspergers syndrome?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

hi my son displays behaviour problems hes 10 years hes smart for his age very good at maths.science.reading and it. his teachers hsve described his as very intellegent.inquisitive.talkative. he tends to get on with girls better and has had a few problems with boys at school.he cant watch a full movie without figiting and talking through it. he twizzes sround sslot and randomly makes noises. his hsndwriting was poor until lastyear as i made him write me stories. he has intoeing and can run very well as other kids the doc said he will grow out of the intoeing. i hsve to tell him off for the same behaviour everyday eg spinning. interupting people when there talking. other people in my fsmily kbow children with aspergers and have said he may have it.when i sit him down and tslk to him about his behaviour he looks st me blank and seems to not listen. he forgets thing like his pe kit and letters from school all the time. putting on his tie and little things like this. hes disorganised and when i adk him to tidy hes room it takes him hours as when i go up stairs to check hes doing it hes sat on his bed reading a science book.he can remember facts and figures very well and can work out hard sums at the drop of ahat but cant remember to put on a tie. i dont st all think hed got a learning difficulty as hes so smart. but i do think hes got a behaviour problem as he cut off my cats whiskers lsst year and when i yold hum off and banned him for his fav tging eg. computer he couldnt give me a reason for why he did it. i think hes mind races alot as he always seems to be thinking. pls help eith adviceive been to a doc about this and hes just getting tested.
   These are very classic ADHD symptoms.  And, of course, it could be something else - but everything you describe does sound like a child who is intelligent with ADHD.  The intelligence can mask the symptoms since many teachers will say the child is getting good grades so whats the problem?  Of course the problem starts appearing about the time common denominators or if the child is really intelligent - algebra -  appears in their life.  From the posts on this forum that I have been reading the last 5 years, I would be surprised if its a form of Autism.  But either way - getting an early diagnosis is very important.  Once you know what the problem is - then you can start looking for ways to help the child.  It does not always have to involve medication, but it does always have to involve you (and his teachers) getting information on how to best work with him.
    This is a pretty  good site for symptoms of ADHD - http://www.rxlist.com/attention_deficit_hyperactivity_disorder_adhd/article.htm#tocc
     I always recommend the book, "The ADD/ ADHD Answer book," by Susan Ashley. - for parents of kids with ADHD.  If he does get diagnosed, its definitely worth getting.   If you have any more questions - we will be here for you.
thankyou for the advice. hopefully hes behaviour improves when he gets the help he needs. ive been correcting him and explaining why certain behaviour is wrong and the last few days i hsve seen a little improvement in his behavior and he is trying.i just want to help him as much as possible. thanks again.
hi i am new im solo56 i think you should get his hearing checked and it seems that he might have autism they different levels of autism hearing can affect behavior, speech, and listening too
hi i am new im solo56 i think you should get his hearing checked and it seems that he might have autism they different levels of autism hearing can affect behavior, speech, and listening too i think he mostly would have adhd if he figits cant sit still and hyper active try meds or get over the counter adhd for behavior and focus name is focus factor
Hi, fidgeting, not sitting still and looking hyper also can be due to sensory integration disorder.  Sensory looks a lot like adhd and is treated through occupational therapy and something they called "heavy work" which regulates the nervous system.  heavy work is basically physical activity.  goodluck to all
ive had his hearing checked and hes fine. yes he cannit sit still always swinging his feet or twigling his hands.i also have to ask him do anything seriously about 20 times. as he says he forgot when i only asked him a second ago.hes cut the cats whiskers off in the past and when asked why he said he didnt know why. i punish him for doing bad things then he does ut again. i want to get him help.
      Kids with ADHD act without filters.   In other words, they act without thinking.  Consequently, when you ask them why they did something, they honestly don't know why - because they did it spontaneously.  Which makes punishment for that action kind of unfair since they are being punished for something that they were not conscious of doing.   And the punishment doesn't work anyway because they don't think about the punishment.  Years later they will remember being punished unfairly.
    Point being, you need to know what he has.  You work with kids who have ADHD somewhat differently then kids without.   I seriously recommend that you get the book I mentioned.  His symptoms are pretty classic.   An ADHD diagnosis does not mean that he has to go on meds.  It means that you will understand what is driving him.  It means that a 504 plan could be written for school to give him more time on tests when he needs it.  And perhaps years down the road when his intellectual ability is not able to deal with the subject matter without listening in class - his grades begin to suffer - then you might want to explore other alternatives.
    But all of this is conjecture until you figure out what is going on.  Did you take a look at the web site with symptoms that I suggested?
thanks for your advice. ive since been back and waiting for the results to see if he as the condiction. also ive put steps into place with school. im going to buy the book as soon as poss as it will help me ubderstand connor. i wanna be the best possible mum to my son as i growing up had no mum there for me.so i am gonna do my upmost to help my son acheive his goals and be happy to thr best of my ability.as thats what a good mum should do. thabks again. take care or yourself and ur family.