ADD / ADHD Community
has anyone tried concerta 36mg for adhd?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

wondering if anyone has tried concerta for their adhd? i was on a few meds a few years ago but stopped taking them because nothing seemed to work. i am about to try going back on concerta 36mg and see if it will help. i also have depression and am starting a new med called celexa. any info will help. thanks!!

not sure what i should be looking for in healthy changes.
I tried concerts at the same dose. I got palpitations and anxiety a half hour after. I couldn't take it anymore. It lasted until about 4 pm. Extended releases never work for me so I take Adderall (adderrall) immediate release 10 Mgs 6 times per day because it doesn't last very long.
    Couple of thoughts.  If the meds you tried were the normal stimulant variety and nothing happened - then that's a pretty good sign you do have ADHD.  Even a small amount of those meds on a non ADHD person would have an effect.
    Unfortunately, with anxiety (which is pretty normal for a person with ADHD), the second something is not working - you tend to freak out and abandon ship.
     All good doctors will start you out on the lowest dose and then wait for your response to up the dosage.  This should have been explained to you - and this is what also separates the good doctors from the ones who don't want to spend time with their patients.
      Everybody reacts differently to the meds.  It is a trial and error process.  Your doctor (if he or she is good) expects you to keep them informed as to how the meds are working.  Do it!!   Realize that it might take some experimentation to find either the right dose or the right med.  Do save your doctor some time by letting them know what meds you were on previously.
      Another very important part of this is to start taking more then just meds.  You need to learn how to deal  anxiety and ADHD.  Hopefully, you doctor can give you some insight on coping with these.  Two sites aimed at the adult ADD sufferer that you might want to check out are totallyadd.com and http://jeffsaddmind.com/for-first-time-visitors.
               Both sites are done by people with ADD.  totallyadd was actually a PBS special and consequently is a series of short videos.  Quite entertaining and useful.   Jeffs add mind really reflects him.  Has much more adult interaction.  Both are worth checking out.
   Hope this helps!!!
My Son was on Concerta, the same dosage. From personal observations the medication has different results for different people. There were no real side effects for my son other than 1. He seemed to have lost his personality. With the loss of personality he lost his creativity. He became distant and lethargic.

My son was on concerta, started at 18 mg til 54mg, last year (12 yrs old) I asked the doctor to change the med because it wasn't working anymore however never had any side effects, he kept eating well, sleeping normal, playing his sports, doing his normal activities and his personality didn't change thank God!  One thing though, I am able to handle him without the medicine so I didin't give it to him during weekends or whenever he was on vacation only during school days, right now he's not on medicine since summer started. He has his appointment with his doctor 8/16/11 so he'll get back on his medicine when school starts.
   Kind of sounds like your son is slightly overdosed.