ADD / ADHD Community
he can't slow down for anything!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

he can't slow down for anything!

I need help. My son is only 3. He will be 4 in July. A month after his third birthday he was actually diagnosed with ADHD. I understand this diagnosis its rarely given before 5 due to"toddler symptoms" being similar. So I hope that gives you some idea of how severe this is. The neurologist that diagnosed him said it was the worst case he had seen in his 20 years. He also held off on actually giving us a diagnosis so he could be e evaluated for other conditions and disabilities without the ADHD diagnosis influencing their determination. Basically he was screened for autism because he didn't start walking or talking until 18 months. It wasn't because he couldn't tho, he simply couldn't stay focused long enough to learn  they thought he had weak fine motor skills, but they caught his attention long enough to see hr could do it perfectly.

Here is my problem. He can't sleep. We get 5 hours in a day. We have used melatonin and clonodine.
He can't play with 1 toy, its a minimum of 5. Take everything away he will play with a wall, step, couch, drawer, and  pillow.
He constantly runs.
He's not afraid of anything.
His speech is horrible because he doesn't focus on what he's saying.
He is easily frustrated.

Unfortunately we moved to the north Alabama area from fort worth so we are unable to see the same neurologist. Anysuggestions be greatly appreciated.
Currently we are giving him .1 clonidine and 5mg melatonin at night to get him to sleep 5 hours off and on (if not he will go 72 hrs no sleep, sleep 3, go 48 hrs sleep 30 min, go 26, etc) and .05 in the am
Has anything been done vis-a-vis diet? I presume that sleep apnea has been investigated. A couple of observations. I note that the dosage of melatonin is very high even for an adult. Also, many's the normal child that does not walk or talk until 18 months or even later. I wish I had helpful suggestions, but I don't. Keep us posted. By the way, try to get someone to pinch hit for you so you can get some rest and sleep.
   Oh boy, I hope that you can find a good doc soon.  
Also, have you looked into Sensory Processing (or Integration) Disorder?  One of the symptoms is, "you can’t seem to calm them down or get them to sleep?"   See this site here -     http://www.sensory-processing-disorder.com/
   There are many things that you can do to help a child with SPD and I am sure that some of them should help your son (no matter what he has).
   The links below are all from our SID site on medhelp.  Look for the posts by Specialmom.   Each one has some very good ideas of things that might help.  Particularly,  look at the posts that talk about "heavy work".  Also check out the idea of a "compression vest" for sleeping (from Aug 4, 2012).  The links are:   http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Sensory-Integration-Disorder-SID/Son-just-diagnosed/show/1806957  ; and
            http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Sensory-Integration-Disorder-SID/The-first-signs-that-my-son-had-sensory-integration-disorder/show/1777578    ; and
        the overall site and index is http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Sensory-Integration-Disorder-SID/show/1396  ;
     I hope this helps!   Let us know if any of this does work or if it sounds possible to you.  Good Luck!