ADD / ADHD Community
is it adhd

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

is it adhd

i am a 15 year old and i have certain symptoms which i believe may be caused by adhd. i was hoping someone  here might have an answer because they are quite troubling. i have difficulty controlling the volume and tone of my voice, i have fits in which i have an urge to move at an extreme rate of speed. i will run, scream, and flail about pretty much uncontrollably. i shake my head violently from side to side and tear at my hair. i feel extremely hot and my heart races. these fits last from 5 to 20 minutes, and give no warning. it's not the same as an uncontrollable fit but more like a sudden spastic fit of hyperactivity which is impossible to control. i also have uncontrollable muscle twitches typically in my facial features, neck, legs, and arms in which a certain muscle will uncontrollable contract and relax repeatable or simply remain contracted. they have on occasion given me charlie horses. during my fits i am unable to concentrate or even think coherently at all. this often gives me panic attacks because i will be in deep thought and then suddenly my brain goes completely blank and no matter how hard i try i cant think of anything. this may be unrelated but i also occasionally experience severe migraines which will last from an hour to 18 hours. the longer ones often render me unconscious .  please tell me if you can think of anything which will hemp
  • Child Rage. (1 replies):
    My Four YO son has always been extremely physical, runni...[more]
   Wow !  That's gotta be really scary!!  Wish I could help.  It really does not sound like any ADHD symptom I have seen or heard about.
   Really sounds almost like the reaction to a panic attack.  Have you been able to figure out what triggers these fits?  And have you had them most of your life - or only since high school?
   Kind of nutty to say that this is something that you definitely want to talk over with your doctor, cause I would think you have done so.  They apparently weren't too helpful?
Now, surely, with all of these serious symptoms your family has taken you to a doctor. What does he say? If you have not been to a doctor, has no one in your family noticed your odd behavior?
My heart goes out to you. You sound like my 9 year old son who is adhd. He use to have these moments where he would just jump an one day I asked him to stop jumping an he started crying as he told me he could not stop an he didn't know why. He honestly jumped all around the house for over an hour. That's when I took him to the doctor. Its hard to control the out burst an the impulses. Even if you don't want to your brain is telling you that you have to. I hope your parents take you to someone that will listen to you an help you. Please don't feel down your not the only person going thru this.
Sounds like what you are experiencing could possibly be Tourette's syndrome, please go see a doctor. There are medications that can help control some of your symptoms & you are def not alone!
i have difficulty controlling the volume and tone of my voice, i have fits in which i have an urge to move at an extreme rate of speed.

This section sounds like ADHD, but

i will run, scream, and flail about pretty much uncontrollably. i shake my head violently from side to side and tear at my hair

This section sounds like Tourette syndrome.

For some they have both tics and add and it is possible that you have both. Find someone in your area who is knowledgeable on ADD / ADHD. They will be in a better position to look at your personal history and the effect that your condition has in your life in order to decide whats the best course of action.
I would agree that this sounds more like Tourette's Syndrome than ADHD.  A good doctor should be able to help, and if he/she doesn't help, be persistent and find someone who can!  In addition to medication, mediTAtion can possibly help with the panic response you are having to the tics.  Massage, even self massage, and hot baths may give you a little relief from the muscular tension.  Spend a little time reading about tourette's online, see if that describes what you are experiencing.  If it is tourette's, there may be tourette's support groups in your area as well.  You want to treat the symptoms but also the emotional and physical response to the symptoms.   Best wishes, my heart goes out to you.