ADD / ADHD Expert Forum
my 18 month

Questions in the Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD–ADHD) forum are answered by medical experts and professionals.

my 18 month

my son was born at 36 weeks weighing 4 pounds 9 ouces. he now is 18 mounths old with no speech at all he understands what you say like ta ta and he hand the object to you he waves bye bye with his fingers only when he wants to he is really active always climbing he cant sit for two seconds he is allways on the go he dosent point at objects the only communication is crying he gets board very quick he cant focus but yet he is very happy always smilling he understands when i say no. has he adhd please help
     It sounds like your son may have a speech delay. Most children his age can use a variety of gestures and can use quiet a few words (or signs) to express themselves. I would consult your pediatrician and ask for a referral for an assessment. You can learn about language milestones and speech language assessment at the website of the American Speech Language and Hearing Association website (www.asha.org). You can also seek an assessment through your county school system (go to the website and look for early childhood special education services).

With respect to the activity level, most 18 month old boys crave lots of physical activity. It is typical at this age to have a very short attention span. An assessment will tell you if your son is significantly different from his peers or not. Once he is three, he can be tested to see if he meets diagnostic criteria for ADHD, though this would really be a provisional diagnosis at that age.

Best Wishes
Rebecca Resnik

Disclaimer: These posts in response to Medhelp.com questions are intended to be informational only. They should never be considered a substitute for face-to-face medical and mental health care by a qualified practitioner. Answering Medhelp questions is not intended to create or imply a patient-clinician relationship. Information presented in posts is not intended to give or to rule-out a diagnosis.