ADD / ADHD Community
my 3 year old son

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

my 3 year old son

hi i have a 3 year old son he constaly does not listen to me he is  always running around and screaming and he likes to play on his own as he has an older brother.
im just abit concerned with hes temper and when i tell him he just looks at me and ignores me could this be a sigh of adhd???
Probably not but you'll  know in about 3 or 4 years.  Many 3 year olds are just more difficult than others.  Forget the terrible 2's, the 3's were much worse for both my boys and 4 wasn't a heck of a lot better.  Things got much better after that 5th birthday!

Now, in my area, they do not diagnose add/adhd until a child is at least 6 years old.  This is because there is so much variability amongst young children.  Many kids lack impulse control, do wacky things, and are very active.  It  is usually much less by the age of 6.  

Add/adhd is a developmental delay of the nervous system.  I'd read as much about it as you can.  Don't apply what you read to your son yet but knowledge on a subject you are concerned about is always a good thing.  My son has a developmental delay that looks very much like adhd and also affects the nervous system-------- it is called sensory integration disorder.  You do occupational therapy to treat it----------- and my son was diagnosed at 4.  

If I were you, I'd do two things.  First, I'd enroll him in a preschool program that is just a couple of times a week for maybe a half day (don't overwhelm him with it).  This will give you an idea where he is fitting in for real with other kids his age and how he adapts to things outside of your presence.  Second, I'd up his physical activity.  This has a direct link on behavior.  My son that has sensory integration disorder does a full diet of activities that are physical in nature and help calm his nervous system.  Get him to the park and run, jump, climb, roll, and swing.  If it is cold where you are, go to an open gym and do these things.  Sign him up for swim lessons, make obstacle courses at home, put a mattress on the floor and let him jump. These things help regulate the nervous system and improve behavior.

I'd talk to him about emotions.  Go to the library and check out kids books on feelings and read together.  Talk about his emotions.  Act out emotions and have him guess what they are.  Have him act them out.  This gives him kid language to express what he feels.  By the way, how is his speech?  Then give him ideas of what he can do if he is mad, sad, upset, etc.  Act it out for him if necessary.  Stay very calm yourself when dealing with him so this models how he should be.  Don't worry about his playing with his brother.  At three he is just coming out of parallel play (meaning he plays alone but alongside another child)----------  again, how is his speech?  The level of articulation a child has will often dictate play skills.  

So, hang in there mom.  You did not express anything too out of the ordinary here.  He may just be a little harder than his older brother.  Work on it with patience and hopefully it will get better sooner rather than later.  good luck