ADD / ADHD Community
repeating

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

repeating

My brother is going to be 12 in November and he was diagnosed with ADHD around 5, I think. Ever since he could talk he's been doing this thing where he'll repeat the last word or 3 of what he says. He doesn't do this with most things, just things that he finds funny or heard on TV. An example of it would be like he'll say, "Go home loser!" then behind it comes, "...loser." And he often does it in a whisper, but there's times where if he said it aggressively, he'll repeat the last word aggressively. So I am asking is this a part of his ADHD? Is it something to be concerned about?
Tags: ADHD, young, repeating after, boy
   Does he do this only when he is off his meds?  For that matter does he do this only at home?
He is not on medication and I'm nearly certain he doesn't do this anywhere else. I believe that it's only done at home.
    If he is only doing it at home, that would indicate that he has a certain degree of control.  It may be only a phase he is going through (and I have certainly seen that with kids of his age), which he will grow out of.   And its possible he has noticed that it bugs you(?) which could keep him doing it for awhile longer.   While, I can understand your concern, I would suggest ignoring it.
   By the way, I suggest buying the book,  "The ADD/ ADHD Answer book," by Susan Ashley a lot on this forum.  Its only about 10 bucks on Amazon.  While it probably would not answer this question of yours, it will be extremely helpful with many other ones.  And its got a great section on ways to help at school.  Thanks for posting and if you have any more questions, feel free to post again.  Best wishes.
Thank you so much for replying and the mention of that book. I will certainly look into it. He does pretty well without medication and that is why we don't have him on any. Best wishes to you as well and thanks again.
hansen20 I have a 36 day cycle would... Comment
CARBS!
9 hrs ago by gymdandee
krichar commented on photo