ALS Community
24 Year Old with sudden lisp
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

24 Year Old with sudden lisp

Hi,

I'm a 24-year-old male who a couple weeks ago began noticing myself having a hard time pronouncing S's here and there. My significant others couldn't notice it and so I just ignored it. A week or so later, however, I notice my tongue felt numb and tingling. I looked at it in the mirror and it appeared to be shaking. (Note: I have not noticed it shaking since that day, although it does feel numb). I went to the ER, they said they couldn't do much and scheduled something with a neurologist.

By the time I got to the neurologist, I had begun having fasciculations all over my body (presumably due to stress/anxiety more than a rapid onset of ALS). The neurologist didn't take my ALS fears very seriously after checking my body strength (although I obviously fear this would be a bulbar ALS case) which would show more weakness in the mouth. He scheduled blood tests and an MRI, as well as an x-ray of the spine. (I have had constant headaches for 5 months so we thought the two problems may be releated).

Now, another week later, I am having even more difficulty speaking, feeling a particular tightness in my chin. I can still speak relatively well, with a slurred word her and there, but I feel like I'm having to try too hard. I can still easily open and move my mouth, and shake my tongue quickly from side to side. Should I be concerned? And what should my next plan of action be?

Thank you so much,
Logan