ALS Community
7 months or twitches now a cramp

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS).

7 months or twitches now a cramp

Short history...had a virus and started twitching all over my body. This has been going on for 7 months. Quads, glutes, hams, biceps, abs, and calves. The twitches come and go but I have 2 spots that seem to be more active.  My face beside my nose/ cheek and my eyelid.  I have burning in my chin and a patch in my arm that comes and goes.  No weakness, balance is good, vision fine, and I do not hurt. I have noticed a cramp in my left hand with rest and a tremor after rapid alternating movement of the right arm that lasts 3 sec or so.  I am 36 years old and have been quite stressed but this is only adding to my stress levels. Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!
Hi!
Symptoms of many of these diseases do mimic ALS. ALS like symptoms can be due to fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, severe anemia, spinal nerve compression high up in the cervical spine, ankylosing spondylitis, osteoarthritic changes of the vertebrae, calcium deficiency, low Vit D, electrolyte disturbance, peripheral neuropathy due to diabetes or hypothyroidism or due to bad posture. Lyme and lupus are the other possibilities.
Electromyography (EMG), nerve conduction velocity (NCV), muscle biopsy, etc are done to confirm diagnosis or rule out ALS. Along with this, I would suggest you get the blood levels of the following checked if they have not already been checked: potassium, calcium, sodium, magnesium, vitamin B complex, or vitamins B1, B3, or B6 and Vitamin D. Generally deficiencies of any of the above can cause muscle twitching and spasms in localized or generalized areas of the body. Get your kidney function, parathyroid gland function and adrenal function tests done because these affect the electrolyte balance in the body. Stress, alcohol, caffeine and fatigue all cause similar symptoms. Hence if you take alcohol or coffee then cut this down. Sleep at regular hours and see if it helps. Do discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.