ALS Community
ALS? Family history

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS).

ALS? Family history

Hello, I am a 23 year old female.  My mother passed away a few weeks ago from a long battle with ALS.  About 2 years ago, I started experiencing some twitching in my left foot/calf which has continued.  At first I felt like sometimes it was a little bit weaker, but nothing too significant.  About a year ago I noticed that my left foot would cramp in my toes when i would point them or squeez them hard. I don't feel like the weakness has gotten a ton worse, but a little.  That foot/calf just feels a little stiff and sometimes achy.  A few days ago, I got out of my car to walk into the store and had a weird sensation in my left calf. It was not quite a cramp, but similar.  Like my muscle was contracting.  Ever since that incedent, that has been happening on and off throughout the day when I am walking.  

I am obviously very hypersensitive to ALS, just becuase of what I saw my mom go through.  She had Sporadic ALS, not FALS, but I am still worried.  Does this sound like ALS, or am I overthinking it all?
I'm not a doctor or pro on ALS, but my brother is currently suffering from it, and I just wanted to send you a note to let you know someone understands how you feel.  I am very sensitive to any twitch or muscle weakness in my body, but so far, I haven't experienced anything significant.  I'm a lot older than you (43) and my brother was diagnosed last year at 48.  I try to take comfort in telling myself that I have "five great years left" before I get it.  It's all a fantasy, of course, because no one knows who and when ALS will strike.  I don't even know if my brother has Sporadic or familial ALS -- he's still caught up in his own experience and hasn't thought to get tested.  I just know that it's a depressing, cruel disease, and the thought of it is enough to scare us.  I am so sorry for your loss with your mother.  The only thing I can offer you, as far as comfort, is to remember that your chances of getting it so young are very slim, if at all, and that you need to focus on treasuring every single day of your life.  This may sound contrary to everything you've ever been told, but my motto is to "live fast."  Pursue your career, fall in love, have children.  Use up your time completely until you're exhausted.  None of us knows how many days we have.  I could get in a car accident tomorrow and die before my brother.  What's always been tragic to me about him is that he never seized life in this way.  He always thought he had plenty of time.
Bless you and I hope you have many years of good health and fast living.  :)