ALS Community
ALS or something else?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS).

ALS or something else?

It started with right tingling thumb which disappeared. Then a strange stiff feeling in right bicep that remained then similar sensations in both calf muscles and thighs and upper arms and forearms. Also stiff, sore fingers and wrists. I cannot yet find true weakness yet I feel weak and in the morning have difficult lifting my arms and my walking can be unsteady. All my toes and ankles also feel stiff. I have a total body feeling of trembling yet it cannot be seen; only felt by me. It has now started in my face and my eyelids feel slow and my cheeks feel tight. Basically every muscle in my body I can feel with either a sensation of pain or stiffness including the front of my neck which can get extremely tight and swolling feels odd. I also have twitching in my calf muscles when I relax that I can see. Does this sound like ALS? If not, what does it sound like as my doctors have no idea whats going on and with these symptoms Neurologists have decline to see me when my doctor sent a referral.
Tags: ALS, something else, muscles, trembling, strange sensation in muscles, Pain
Hi!
Dehydration and electrolyte imbalance, muscle fatigue, pinched nerve due to wrong posture could be the cause. I would suggest you get the blood levels of the following checked if they have not already been checked: potassium, calcium, sodium, magnesium, vitamin B complex, or vitamins B1, B3, or B6 and Vitamin D. Generally deficiencies of any of the above can cause muscle twitching and spasms in localized or generalized areas of the body. Get your kidney function, parathyroid gland function and adrenal function tests done because these affect the electrolyte balance in the body. Stress, alcohol, caffeine and fatigue all cause similar symptoms. Hence if you take alcohol or coffee then cut this down. Sleep at regular hours and see if it helps. Certain sleep disorders and peripheral nerve disorders due to diabetes, Lyme's, lupus or hypothyroidism can also be the cause.

ALS is a mixed motor neuron disease with lower motor neuron symptoms predominating. It is very difficult to comment whether your have ALS or not. To confirm that a doctor has to find signs of both upper (muscle weakness, decreased motor control, inability to perform fine movements, increased spinal reflexes, and positive Babinski sign—great toe going up) and lower motor (muscle weakness, abnormal EMG etc) neuron signs in one limb.

Symptoms of many of these diseases do mimic ALS. ALS like symptoms can be due to fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, severe anemia, spinal nerve compression high up in the cervical spine, ankylosing spondylitis, osteoarthritic changes of the vertebrae, calcium deficiency, low Vit D, electrolyte disturbance, peripheral neuropathy due to diabetes or hypothyroidism or due to bad posture. Lyme and lupus are the other possibilities. These other possibilities need to be looked at. Electromyography (EMG), nerve conduction velocity (NCV), muscle biopsy, etc are done to confirm diagnosis or rule out ALS. Do discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined. Take care!