ALS Community
ALS progression

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS).

ALS progression

ALS would be a steady progression, right?  I have had muscle issues for 2+ years now but most likely fibro.  

I am trying to dtermine if I should get an emg (self-pay) or chalk everything up to life with FM *****.  I have clinical (?) left-sided weakness.  Over two months ago my usual muscle spasms were added to by a humming/vibrating sensation in lower right leg, which then progressed to both (entire) legs and both  lower arms.  Increasing spasms around right eye, spasms in tongue (which may have stopped after a few weeks), and now fluttery spasms in right lower abd.

I think ALS unlikely b/c of stop/start nature (ie spasms on left side of tongue and right side of face).
Any thoughts?  

Please be gentle.  
I have progressed to falling and breaking toes and I'm not trying to waste anyone's time.
Hi!
Yes, you are right! ALS is a rapidly progressive disease, and if you have had it for two years or more, it's less likely to be ALS. Dehydration and electrolyte imbalance, muscle fatigue, pinched nerve due to wrong posture could be the cause. I would suggest you get the blood levels of the following checked if they have not already been checked: potassium, calcium, sodium, magnesium, vitamin B complex, or vitamins B1, B3, or B6 and Vitamin D. Generally deficiencies of any of the above can cause muscle twitching and spasms in localized or generalized areas of the body. Get your kidney function, parathyroid gland function and adrenal function tests done because these affect the electrolyte balance in the body. Stress, alcohol, caffeine and fatigue all cause similar symptoms. Hence if you take alcohol or coffee then cut this down. Sleep at regular hours and see if it helps. Certain sleep disorders and peripheral nerve disorders due to diabetes, Lyme's, lupus or hypothyroidism can also be the cause.
Please consult your PCP for primary examination followed by proper referral.
Take care!