Botox and ALS
My speech became slurred days after I had a Botox treatment.  No one would even question or consider that the Botox could have migrated to a different area which has now been confirmed by the FDA.   Therefore, I was diagnosed with  Bulbar Onset ALS.  Most of my symptoms now mimic the dire results of a Botox reaction and also ALS.  Could Botox have awakened a dormant ALS within my system or could the Botox have produced these symptoms?
I'm no doctor but --

1 out of 100,000 people get ALS, I believe somewhere in the range of 20% or lower get bulbar onset ALS. Combine these with the fact that you started getting problems with your speech after Botox and I would say don't even think about ALS at all.

I hope this helps a little.

You should go see a doctor for slurred speech anyway whenever you can.
There's also quite a few other things that the doctors have to make sure it's not before they can diagnose ALS.

Anyway I wish you the best of luck.
Thank you for your comments, Teddy.  The neurologist at the Mayo Clinic did rule out other diseases but would not even address the effects of Botox.  I am going again next week and I am going to ask again about Botox shots amd their possible effects on my system. Anyway, whatever it is, it is moving slowly and I have to be thankful for that.
I have a co-worker who told me that she gets restalyne, rather than botox because she has ALS in her family and has been told that it can bring on ALS.  Do some research - the doctor's questionnaire must have asked the question and there must be a reason for asking it.
A simple search on 'Botox ALS connection' produced the following from the juvederm website:
Warnings & Precautions: Serious and/or immediate hypersensitivity reactions have been rarely reported. These reactions include anaphylaxis, urticaria, soft-tissue edema, and dyspnea. There have been rare reports of adverse events involving the cardiovascular system. Patients with neuromuscular disorders such as ALS, myasthenia gravis, or Lambert-Eaton syndrome may be at increased risk of serious adverse events.

hey any progress of with you problem. my sister is diagnosed with ALS and she has used before. how are you doing right now?botox
It has been three years since the botox shots and my slurred speech.  One month ago, I became unable to walk and my speech is worse.  I have asked every doctor about the shots.  They all said "not likely" as the botox effects should have worn off.  I am convinced that the shots awakened the dormant ALS within me. But it is what it is and I am trying to be very proactive in staying ahead of the game.
What your botox injection used in your voicebox?   Did the doctors confirm your ALS diagnosis?  
The injections were in my forehead but botox can travel.  Interesting news about Lou Gerhig possibly not having ALS!
Hello billeeboo,

I too had symptoms of tongue spasm and severe sinusitis 4 days after botox.  My botox injections were 5 weeks ago and still have tongue spasm and sinus problems.  The injections were done on crows feet and two below each eye.  The doc ensures me that botox is NOT the cause...but I'm not so sure.
I would get a second opinion. Most physicians really have to be 100% certain, before diagnosing symptons as ALS. Although you don't mention your other symptons and you don't mention how long it's been going on a second opinion never hurts. Four neurologists followed my symptons for 8 months before they even considered rendering a diagnosis. I was in a wheelchair before they called it ALS. Anything is possible and the start of ALS can be different for anyone. And if it is ALS a name doesn't change anything. It's not like there is a cure or a good treatment for it. So I just enjoy life the best I can.
You don't mention your age but ALS normally starts later in life average is 40 ish
my sister died from ALS 5 years ago. She took botox for 20 years before that, before I had even heard anything about it. Her first symptom was slurred speech. She died within 2 years of the diagnosis. It was a short 6 months before she could not talk at all. She was in a nursing home her last year of life and used a wheel chair. I always suspected the botox, but the DRS said no, not related. Now I am seeing warnings about it. I dont think their research is very extensive because noone ever asked her if she used botox. 'She was 52 when she died. Now I see that if it is hereditary and could be caused by botox then I will stay away from it.
Hi Billeboo, I hope all has been well. I know this is an older post, but I was wondering if you ever came up with anything relating botox and ALS?
My friend who is a young 70 had a lot of Botox injected and soon after she had slurred speech and symptoms we thought were directly related. After months and months of testing she is now diagnosed with ALS. My gut tells me the Botox set off this disease. Right now the disease is mostly affecting her vocals and her ability to swallow etc. progressively getting worse.  I just wonder if Botox caused this to happen ?