ALS Community
Could these symptoms be ALS?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Could these symptoms be ALS?

Hi, I was hoping someone out there may be able to relate to some symptoms my 22 year old son has developed over the last 6 months.  We are still in the process of reaching a diagnosis from doctors.  So as an impatient mother I have searched the internet myself and although I hope and pray that he doesnt have ALS I am almost certainly convinced his symptoms are pointing to this.  His problems started about 6 months ago with poor co-ordination, balance problems and fluttering in the ears.  His GP treated him for a virus and gave him antibiotics.  Within 10 days his right foot dropped and he had weakness in his right leg, arm and hand, and within a few days his speach was slightly impaired (he could have been mistaken as a little drunk when speaking or walking).  When the antibiotics never improved his condition the doctor, thinking he may have had a stroke, sent him for lots of tests, including, CT, MRIs, OT Tests, Reflex testing, ENT Tests, Lumbar Puncture, Nerve Electrode Testing, numerous blood and urine testing and many others I cant think of.  To date none of these tests have given us a diagnosis.  I have read that ALS is extremly difficult to diagnose and the only way to get a diagnosis is to rule everything else out first. We are back to see the doctors next week and are hopeful of some news.  Since the onset of his symptoms, he has become noticably worse, his speach is extremely slurred, he finds he has to really concentate to get his words out, and even concentrate to lift his feet, legs and arms to do everyday things like walking, dressing or picking something up with his hands.  His co-ordination with a knife and fork is non-existant. I am interesed to see if anyone out there can relate to my son's story or may have any suggestions.  Any thoughts are welcome.
Tags: ALS