ALS Community
Does this sound like possible ALS?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS).

Does this sound like possible ALS?

Hello, I recently began to notice my middle finger twitching sporadically on and off throughout the day.  It suddenly just jerks from side to side and on the top part of my hand i can see the skin moving.  On top of that,  I feel like that hand is weaker than normal and things feel heavier,  however it is more from a pain that i feel in my wrist than from actually not having the strength.  Everytime i try and lift something or open a door, turn a key, etc I feel a pain in what feels like the tendons of that hand at my wrist.  I am very concerned about the possibility of ALS because of the twitching and the pain,  so please tell me if this sounds at all like it could possibly be the very early stages of ALS,  and if not please tell me why you feel that it is not.  Thank you very much for your time and help.
Hi!
Since you have wrist pain and pain on turning key/door handles/lifting weight etc, in all probability it is a tendon issue. This can cause jerkiness, especially if a nerve is also compressed. In ALS you will usually have both upper and lower motor neuron symptoms affecting at least one limb. The symptoms would not be so localized as affecting one finger.
So, please consult an ortho specialist first to diagnose nerve/tendon compression. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Thank you so much for your response. It does seem to feel like a tendon issue, but I can't help shake the fear of ALS.  Is there anything that even remotely sounds like it could be that, or on the positive side of things, anything that strongly points away from it being that?  Really appreciate the help.  Also should add that its just the one finger (possibly thumb too) that it twitching/jerking but the entire hand feels affected in that it is stiff, hurts to move a lot, and feels weaker due to the wrist and overall hand pain.  In ALS, is a hand weaker because of the associated pain or just weaker w/o pain?  Thanks again.