Is ALS hereditary?
My mother is diagnosed with ALS diesease. She has difficulty in eating. A PEG is inserted. she cannot drink anything. But she can take solid food slowly. But that too with great difficulty.She walks with the help of a walker.The legs are too skinny now. She walks by dragging her legs. Her left palm is also effected. she cant fold her palm and also have lost some strength.My mother is 53 now.
I am 29 now.I have twitching in my right calf muscles at night.It is not regular.Happens only once or twice in a week. At that time it is very painful. This started only a month back.  I had twitching in my left eyelid some 2 months back. But after 2 days it was gone.I have started jogging recently to reduce weight.I am overweight. My mom had her first symptoms  of ALS as twitching in her calf muscles at night.
My question is whether this disease is hereditary. Is this  twitching because of jogging or is it symptom of ALS. I am a little scared. please advice.
In the research I've been doing since this summer, there is a small percentage of ALS victims with a hereditary link. You can get more info on the als.org site.

You should probably go to the neurologist. I've learned there are many other health issues that can cause the twitching, and it doesn't necessarily mean ALS.
yes it is and its not a small percent if your mother had it , if your mother and grandmother had it you double your chance i know am facing it to . my dr says stay active keep check on b-12 an