Lou Gehrig's Symptoms?
.Hello,
I am a 50 year old female.  I've been pretty healthy up til about 8 months ago.  I started having saliva gland problems then every week or two would get more symptoms,  I started getting twitching, lung problems, larnyx problems, now stiffness, muscles burning, the back of my neck and base of skull feels as if someone is grabbing it hard and won't let go.  I'm having numbness, tingling and constricting feelings.  My hands and fingers are tight and my calves tight.  My shoulders feel bad.  My cousin had ALS, he was a few years older than me.  I had a EMG done, and they said it didn;t show anything reallyl abnormal.  I feel muscle weakness and tightness and don't know where to turn. I am having a hard time moving my limbs and hard time walking.  I have nerve sensations thoughout my body.  I waited 2 months for an appointment with a neurologist to get help.  All she did was look at the previous testing, talked with me for less than 10 minutes and told me that this was not neurological and charged me 350.00.  I am very discouraged.  Should I have a second opinion done?  I can't seem to get in with another neurologist without a referral andt the doctors are just going with tthe opinion of the first neurologist.  I don't know what to do or what to think.  Thank you for your time.   .
Hi!
The symptoms of ‘twitching, stiffness, muscles burning, the back of my neck and base of skull feels as if someone is grabbing it hard and won't let go.’ can be due to compression of the spinal nerves in the cervical spine region. This can happen due to overuse of computers, work involving straining of neck, herniated disc, canal stenosis, bone disease, spondylosis, poor posture etc. A MRI of the cervical spine and nerve conduction studies may be required. Please consult a neurologist. The treatment is to remove the compression. You have to discuss the best treatment option with a neurologist, which can range from medication to physiotherapy to traction, cervical collars or even surgery.
Other possibilities are vitamin B12 or vitamin D deficiency, Lyme’s, lupus, hypothyroidism and diabetes.
Since I cannot examine you and know other related conditions you may be having, nor is a detailed history possible on net, I have listed the various possibilities that should be looked into. Please consult your PCP for primary examination followed by proper referral. Take care!