ALS Community
Numb base of right thumb

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS).

Numb base of right thumb

My maternal uncle died of ALS-MND some years ago. I am 22 years old and have been told that it is possible I may be genetically susceptible to the disease. Since Sunday I've been experiencing a numbness in the base of my thumb, to the best of my knowledge (after consulting an palm anatomy map on google images) the opponens pollicis, and part of the abductor pollicis brevis muscles.

I read on http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Motor-Neurone-Disease.htm that "You may also notice that the muscles in your hands (especially at the base of your thumbs) become flatter with time." listed as an early symptom.

I am also an alcoholic (binge drinker, not daily), and on Saturday I had an extremely large quantity of alcohol. Could this be alcoholic neuropathy? I doubt if it is diabetes related as a scrape on my arm that I got on Saturday has healed already. I've had cramps and tingling after drinking previously but they resolved after a good swim and workout, this has not. I have just taken a thiamine shot and have been drinking vegetable & fruit juice.

How long should I wait before consulting a doctor and getting an EMG, TMS etc done? I'm really worried and can make a small donation for a specific reply.
Hi!
Numbness at the base of thumb is unlikely to be due to ALS, motor neurone disease or alcohol. While yes, I would not advise anyone to binge drink, personally I do not feel the symptom is due to alcohol. Usually these conditions cause a more widespread initiation of symptoms.
Numbness at the base of thumb only is most likely to be due to a nerve compression or inflammation of a tendon (tendonitis). The compression can be due to radial or median nerve. If you are susceptible to these compressions then drinking alcohol may case some water retention which may increase the compression.
You can do some wrist and thumb exercises and soak your wrist and hand in warm water and wear a wrist brace and see if it improves the numbness. Otherwise, yes, please consult a doctor. Hope this helps. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.