ALS
COMMUNITY
Painless twitching between thumb and index finger
by garnetsmom, Aug 22, 2012
Hi, I have been having painless twitching between my thumb and index finger for over 30 days.  I can see it clearly under the skin.  I am very concerned. I have convinced myself I have ALS.   I do not think I am experiencing  muscle weakness.  My right hand for years has been a little sore that does seem to getting worse.  For example, was sore while tying my son's skates at hockey.  It is still strong though, tried the tests I found, opening and closing nail polish and picking up a heavy book only using the thumb and finger.  I am being referred to a neurologist but will take months for an appointment.  I am having so much anxiety I know I am making it worse.  Please any help would be appreciated.  I also sometimes get tingling sensations.

Thanks you so much,

Kathryn
Member Comments (3)
by Dr. Kokil MathurBlank, Aug 25, 2012
Hi!

Dehydration and electrolyte imbalance, muscle fatigue, pinched nerve due to wrong posture could be the cause. I would suggest you get the blood levels of the following checked if they have not already been checked: potassium, calcium, sodium, magnesium, vitamin B complex, or vitamins B1, B3, or B6 and Vitamin D. Generally deficiencies of any of the above can cause muscle twitching and spasms in localized or generalized areas of the body. Get your kidney function, parathyroid gland function and adrenal function tests done because these affect the electrolyte balance in the body. Stress, alcohol, caffeine and fatigue all cause similar symptoms. Hence if you take alcohol or coffee then cut this down. Sleep at regular hours and see if it helps. Certain sleep disorders and peripheral nerve disorders due to diabetes, Lyme's, lupus or hypothyroidism can also be the cause.

I suggest that before thinking about ALS, do discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined. Take care!
by garnetsmom, Sep 02, 2012
Thank you for your response.  I will go to my family doctor and have all of what you suggested checked.  I appreciate you taking the time to respond.  I feel a lot better!!
by dave188, Apr 30, 2013
Hello. I was wondering how the tests went? I have been experiencing the same finger twitching on my left hand and ALS was exactly my concern. It started 2 months ago when I started drinking coffee. I stopped drinking coffee, on day 3 now, and it still hasn't gone away...