ALS Community
Please help does my husband have als!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS).

Please help does my husband have als!!

Dear dr,
I am hopin for some advice wether it be positive or negative regaind my husband.he is 38 and is currently awaiting his neuro referral!!about 5-6mi this ago he began with a slight limp in his left knee,at the time it appeared to be coming from his knee but the doctor has since confirmed not.it has progressed to a limp left ankle with clonus.he still has power and can use all muscles but it doesn't appear to work properly when walking which has slowed his walking down.he can no longer run or walk fast!there is no muscle wastage to either legs or limbs.the doc has I formed he holds great strength in all limbs at present.he has a babinski reflex in both feet,even his right which is his good leg.he complains that his right leg has been sore for several months and feels over sensitive on the skin. On his left arm he has plates from years ago in an accident so this arm ha always been slightly weaker than the other however he has recently developed fascics in both arms however worse on the left than right ! His reflexes on the left hand side are brisk however normal on the right .he shows no signs of anything bulbar that I know of....we are looking at approx 2 months to see a neuro and being pregnant I am making myself ill with worry!i lost my aunt 2 years ago to als and so this is my worst fear but the not knowing anything is even worse !he also has a fascic in his chest that I recall seeing for over 4years so not sure if this is relevant.he has even placed on fluoxetine 4 weeks ago however all symptoms were present prior apart from the tremor in his left leg...this presents itself when he has his heel off the floor and is resting.one final symtpom is that when he yawns or stretches his arms in front of him his left hand tremors.
I thank you for your time in advance and hope you can somewhat shed light on what the problem isn't,as I'm well aware you cannot dignose in this fashion
Kind kind regards
Xxx
Hi!
It is very difficult to comment whether your have ALS or not. To confirm that a doctor has to find signs of both upper (muscle weakness, decreased motor control, inability to perform fine movements, increased spinal reflexes, and positive Babinski sign—great toe going up) and lower motor (muscle weakness, abnormal EMG etc) neuron signs in one limb. Most of these appear to have been elicited by his treating doctor, but not all--so the confusion remains.
Symptoms of many of these diseases do mimic ALS. ALS like symptoms can be due to fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, severe anemia, spinal nerve compression high up in the cervical spine (can be ruled out by MRI), ankylosing spondylitis, osteoarthritic changes of the vertebrae, calcium deficiency, low Vit D, electrolyte disturbance, peripheral neuropathy due to diabetes or hypothyroidism or due to bad posture. Lyme and lupus are the other possibilities.
Electromyography (EMG), nerve conduction velocity (NCV), muscle biopsy, etc are done to confirm diagnosis or rule out ALS. While you wait to meet the neuro, please talk to his present doctor and try to rule out other causes which mimic ALS. Please take care of yourself too! Take care!