ALS Community
Possible ALS?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS).

Possible ALS?

My 54 year old father has got an appt to see a specialist after problems with his left hand, which began a couple of months ago.  It started with problems gripping objects (he couldn't hold his cup of tea etc), and he's now struggling with the gearstick in his car and buttoning his shirt.  In the last week or so, he said his hand has become like a claw, and that when he wakes on a morning, his hand is clenched and he has to use his other hand to 'unbend' the fingers.  He is a Physical Education teacher, so is historically incredibly fit and active and has been tested for arthritis (inc. rheumatoid) What I'm asking is, does this sound like it could be ALS/MND?  What are the alternatives (glimmers of hope!)?

My father in law (age 75) was, completely coincidentally, diagnosed with ALS/MND two weeks ago, and what scares me the most, is that it all started like this with him.

Thanks for reading and for taking the time to reply

Jo
Hi Jo,

You cannot diagnose by symptoms. the only way to be certain is to have the tests done. It could even be arthritis. Again, he will have to have the tests to rule out any other disorder.

Good Luck.