ALS Community
Scared of ALS
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Scared of ALS

About two months ago I started to notice my right hand seemed weaker.  I eventually went to a neuro and last week had an EMG...where they told me I had four pinched nerves/carpal tunnel, both wrists and elbows.  

13 months ago, I noticed trouble taking a full breath and pushing the air all the way down into my lungs..this has not improved and is actually now a bit worse over the last few weeks.  I took a lung function test and have below normal lung capacity.

My concerns are that some sort of neuromuscular condition is causing me to have weak respiratory muscles, causing the lung issue.

Is it possible my pinched nerve/carpal tunnel diagnosis is wrong, and the issue in my hand is actually MND related?  Or do things like ALS present themselves differently on an EMG as opposed to pinched nerves/carpal tunnel?  

Thanks
Hi Pepsi35, Your symptoms do not sound like ALS. I know what my brother went through with this terrible disease. With ALS it usually begins with feet and legs, like tripping over things and leg gives out. His fingers were effected a while after he was diagnosed and his breathing was affected towards the end of his life. I also should let you know that ALS is so rare it's like 1 in 100,000 diagnosed a yr. I hope you can get to the bottom of your symtoms (symptoms) but I honestly do not think your's have anything to do with ALS. Please keep us posted. God Bless you.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
ALS Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank