ALS Community
fasciculation can be als

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS).

fasciculation can be als

hello
well not notice in my English because I am Brazilian and my english very poor,
well I would like to ask a question to the staff of the forum, some days I have had several days fasciculations by the body, but what kind of hand we start, they stop, but for a week now, I'm having a fasciculation in the palm, right next to the thumb, coming to proprio thumb do have several abrupt contractions when I'm moving the hand they stop, but they are starting to get rest in her lap sometimes weak, sometimes strong moving your thumb, and worse at night and she will comes, will be that I have to worry about with als, like the opinion of you
Hi!
Apart from disc problems in the neck or upper  back and anxiety and panic attacks, muscle spasms can be due to several causes. Dehydration and electrolyte imbalance, muscle fatigue, pinched nerve due to wrong posture could be the cause in your case. Try and use the correct posture while sitting and walking and consult a physical therapist regarding some stretch exercises which you can perform to help relieve tension.
If this does not help, then I would suggest you get the blood levels of the following checked if they have not already been checked: potassium, calcium, sodium, magnesium, vitamin B complex, or vitamins B1, B3, or B6 and Vitamin D. Generally deficiencies of any of the above can cause muscle twitching and spasms in localized or generalized areas of the body. Get your kidney function, parathyroid gland function and adrenal function tests done because these affect the electrolyte balance in the body. Stress, alcohol, caffeine and fatigue all cause similar symptoms. Hence if you take alcohol or coffee then cut this down. Sleep at regular hours and see if it helps. Certain sleep disorders and peripheral nerve disorders due to diabetes, Lyme's, lupus or hypothyroidism can also be the cause.
Having said all this, a very localized spasm is usually due to pinched nerve or muscle and tendon injury. Do discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.