ALS Community
finger twitch, help

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS).

finger twitch, help

I'm a 21 year old male. About 7 or 8 days ago my left ring finger began to twitch. The finger shakes back and forth for a few seconds and then stops. I can also see part of my hand (directly below the knuckle of the same finger) beating when my finger twitches. It is visible under the skin so is this a fasciculation? I have no weakness or anything like that.

Now, for the previous month I have been playing basketball at least 4 or 5 times/week. I have only been using my left hand (same hand with twitching finger) in order to become a better dribbler with both hands. My dominant hand is my right. This seems like it would be the cause of my twitching finger but I don't know and I'm becoming worried. I keep thinking ALS or Parkinsons or someyhing very serious. I keep looking at my hand to see for any more symptoms and I'm getting stressed out. What should I do?

What do you think of my circumstance?
Hey Mike, I'm no expert tho i've ben diagnosd with Benign faciulations.. Same thing happended to me with my thumb, chances are the more u think about it theore it will twitch or seem to.. Try relaxing and if your really worried in the next couple weeks then make an appointment for doctor. No weakness then there should be no worries as apparently ALS is only present where there is weakness.
Try taking bath, anythign to relax and keep your mind off it!
I am also no expert but are you overdoing your basketball? Each person's body is made up differently. It is possible that your system is reacting to strainuous physical activity that maybe your body is not built for.
How important is basketball for you?