ALS Community
numb, tingling, white fingers

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS).

numb, tingling, white fingers

Hi there,
I sure seem healthy.  Eat right, exercise, lost 25 lbs.  For a couple of years I would periodically have my right index finger go numb and turn white on me.  It would happen when I handle cold produce in the grocery store, etc.  Certainly not cold enough conditions to cause frostbite, right?  Anyway, the weird thing is once this happens it takes several minutes for blood flow to return to the finger and feeling to return.  Lately, I've had this happen to several fingers in both hands, usually the fing, middle, and index fingers are affected.  The blood loss is obvious as the finger tips look "dead white" from the middle knuckes to the finger tips.  It has been cold here lately, and I wear gloves outdoors, yet this continues to happen.  Is this some sort of circulation problem?  Nerve problem?