ALS Community
ruling out ALS

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS).

ruling out ALS

Am I am 56 year old female, and the last 3 weeks, I’ve been having some muscle pain in legs and arms, I have history of Carpal tunnel In my arms, but this feels a little different, I have some twitching in my legs and arms, and a burning sensation in my thighs, at times I get like a warm to hot stabbing feeling in my thighs, I’ve been told by my doctor that I have herniated disc in my neck and at times my neck feels stiff, has anyone had similar symptoms? I have so afraid of ALS..
there is no reason to believe those are early symptoms of ALS.

I don't think it can be from herniated disc in the neck either, the symptoms should be more localized and predominant on one side of the body.

the feeling on the thighs can be neurological or from vasculitis maybe. do you have psoriasis? are you a smoker? your blood pressure?

you should have MRI brain/cervical/dorsal.

did you have any infectious symptoms at all? watery leak from the nose? headache? sinusitis? loose stool, bladder symptoms? UTI?  

your problem is definitely systemic but it might be only temporary, some infection that triggered an Immunological reaction.
good morning Gio77Italy,

thank you so much for your response, I do have high blood pressure, but within the last few weeks, it's been good, they might take me off meds soon, I do remember having some nasal drip, although I wasn't feeling ill. I have been feeling better but still have some muscle pain, with some crampy feeling to my calves, not as bad as they were a few weeks ago. thank you again:)
good morning! actually here is 6pm. :)

interesting. the thing I'm on is some almost asymptomatic flu that can give neurological symptoms.

did you have a loss of vision? loss of peripheral vision?
you know now that you mention that I remember, I also felt that my vision was a little off, my muscles in my calves feel as they pulsate with some movement, it's weird..could be a twitch, it makes me so nervous that I cant sleep at night.
try to do a simple neurological test, the Romberg's test. look it up to see how it's done. best if there's someone in your family to check the result
I'll try that out this evening and let you know the outcome. thank you have a good evening:)