ALS Community
tongue fasciculations
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

tongue fasciculations

Have had fasciculations and tremors unilaterally for 8 weeks or so.  MR showed 3 herniated cspine disks and a few small non-enhancing lesions.  Recently developed intermittent tongue fasciculations as well.   Had attributed symptoms to the neck damage until the neuro saw me and scheduled evoked potentials and a spinal tap 3 weeks from now.  The wait is driving me crazy.  He says he doubts ALS, and although he examined my tongue we did not talk directly about the tongue fasciculations.  He is an MS expert.

My internet research has me terrified I may have als.  I seem to have no muscle deficit, and I do not have speech or eating problems.  How significant an indicator are tongue fasciculations when there is no apparent wasting?  How do I put my mind at ease?  I have 2 young kids...
Related Discussions
eek I have them, but then so apparantly do lots of people who don't have ALS, I think a lot of people find there way to this forum because they have googled fasciculations. I am assured that fasciculations are very rarely the first sign of ALS since weakness and   other difficulties will become noticable way before fasciculations.  

To begin with my Dr and an emergency Dr I had gone to had me worried because they said could not rule out ALS but once I had seen the neuro and then had the tests it was another matter, there were no other signs or indications of ALS or other systemic neuromuscular disease.

Most likely you will come out clear too, I hope you will.

Won't stop your tongue twitching though.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
ALS Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...