ALS Community
twitching and scared!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS).

twitching and scared!

I am concerned about twitching. I began with twitching in my right calf last July (14 months ago).At the time I also had a few other twitches in my lower back and neck. I had an appt  with a neurologist in September and an EMG and NCS in October 2011. Both exams were normal.I have also had labs for levels of calcium,magnesium, etc...all of which were with in the normal range.My B12 was 352 which they said was borderline . My concern continues to be ALS. For the past 14 months the twitching has spread all over.I twitch in both legs,calves,quads, arms ,back ,stomach , hand, feet, eye,...you name it . I am so plagued by ALS anxiety. I have no weakness that I can see but i keep twitching. Would ALS be likely to be just increasing twitching for a year or can I relax?
Hi!
Dehydration and electrolyte imbalance, muscle fatigue, pinched nerve due to wrong posture could be the cause. Since vitamin B12 was borderline, please repeat the test and get vit. D levels tested as well. Get your kidney function, parathyroid gland function and adrenal function tests done because these affect the electrolyte balance in the body. Stress, alcohol, caffeine and fatigue all cause similar symptoms. Hence if you take alcohol or coffee then cut this down. Sleep at regular hours and see if it helps. Certain sleep disorders and peripheral nerve disorders due to diabetes, Lyme's, lupus or hypothyroidism can also be the cause. Hence get this tested.
It is unlikely that you have ALS. To confirm that a doctor has to find signs of both upper (muscle weakness, decreased motor control, inability to perform fine movements, increased spinal reflexes, and positive Babinski sign—great toe going up) and lower motor (muscle weakness, abnormal EMG etc) neuron signs in one limb. Symptoms of many of these diseases do mimic ALS. ALS like symptoms can be due to fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, severe anemia, spinal nerve compression high up in the cervical spine, ankylosing spondylitis, osteoarthritic changes of the vertebrae, calcium deficiency, low Vit D, electrolyte disturbance, peripheral neuropathy due to diabetes or hypothyroidism or due to bad posture. Lyme and lupus are the other possibilities. Do discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined. Take care!