ALS Community
worried, would really appreciate thoughts

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS).

Hope you are doing well. To give you some background, via and EMG and NCS, I was diagnosed with ulnar neuropathy. I ended up having surgery in January of 2012. My feeling has come back to some extent, and I have gained some strength back between my thumb and pointer finger. I have had fasciculations in the surgically repaired arm and hand for over a year now. Over the last 6 months, they have been more spread out. Constantly in the arches of my feet (very subtle), knees, arms, legs, shoulders. I have this constant fear of ALS.

My question to you is, should I worry? I have seen 2 local neurologists who have told me that they see no reason to suspect ALS or MS. However, when I feel the spasms, I can't help but worry.

I would really value your input.

Hi!
I am sorry to hear about your medical problems.  In all probability the symptoms are due to the ulnar neuropathy. Localized spasms are probably due to pinched ulnar or some other nerve. You can have a repeat EMG for a confirmed diagnosis. If it was ALS, your neurologist will be able to elicit both upper and lower motor neuron weakness in at least one limb. In all probability they do not find such a thing. So, please trust your neurologists.
Hope this helps. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.