Abuse Support Community
Abuse/ Niece & Nephew

This community is for discussions relating to emotional, physical, sexual, social, spiritual, spousal, and verbal abuse. Please note, this community is not monitored by professionals, rather questions will be answered by other members of the community.

Abuse/ Niece & Nephew

Does anyone know anything about CPS? My little niece & nephew have a terrible home life with their mom. They tell us things all the time but last night they told us some very disturbing stuff. My brother is a very good father however, he shares custody with the mom.  We told him we were going to call CPS and he doesn't want us to. He said bad things happen when CPS get's involved-I said bad things are already happening.  I was just wondering if maybe CPS has wierdos working for them or something??
Any information would be so helpful and greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
-8 Comments Post a Comment
you dont say just what is happening to the children, i would think before i called the C.P.S, there are so many children taken from their homes and placed in foster homes and mom or dad cany visit also some people do not trat foster children to well there has been much abuse in these situations i do beleive you need to find out your self if all all the things the children say is true, as i dont know what is going on i would hesitate to tell you what to do it seems the dad is nor to worried, and if he thinks the children should not be with mom then he needs to deal with it    lots luck  jo    p.s. lots of children when placed in foster homes cry for mom and dad.
Sorry, I'm not familiar with CPS. So do think they would place the kids with a foster home rather than their dad? The dad does know what is going on, we've seen 2 attorneys.  I do think that their dad is in denial about how bad things really are. I just feel like my hands are tied.
thanks for your reply :)
if thei is abuse going on or they have been neglected, yes they will take the children, but if thei father steps in i am quite sure thet will let him raise them, but if you have consulted  Attorneys then they can advise you far better than i . i have seen the Cp S. at work also the protective adult program at work and i sure would not want adult services in my life they take this older person if someone turns in they are not able to take care of their affairs they put them in a home take over their bank accounts and i have heard some workers say i dont care whether the ole so and so wants to go or not we are in charge think how you would feel if you had to leave your home of many years stuck in nursing home, sorry got off of the track i have seen the system at work there are good and bad in all walks of life some care some do not it is just a job and a paycheck to some to others it is not  I do wish that i could help i have worked with people of all ages for 40 years mental and physical, but i have not worked with small children. i care about people and i do hope this works out    best wishes  jo
In our state if CPS steps in the children will go to a relative if there is one available to take the children before they would ever go to foster care. Generally the first step once CPS is called is they check in on the children and determine if they are in a unsafe enviornment if they determine they are, they will seek relative placement, if not, they will may make unannounced checks for awhile and if they determine that there is no reason for the children to be in CPS care, they will sign off on the case and it will be closed. Children tend to tell things that are not always truthful because they know it is what you want to hear, so you need to be sure that you know the facts before you make the call.
Yes they really are in danger.  This has been an ongoing thing for some time now.  Just recently however, it is getting very very bad and dangerous. Their mom has 4 brothers of whom are all in a gang. She lives in a 2 bedroom duplex with her boyfriend and 4 children.  Her brothers stay with her quite often and one of them is dealing AK-47s out of the house along with drugs.  My niece and nephew are being taught gang signs, shown weapons etc. I think the mom is using drugs while they are in the home. They cry so hard and even hide when they know they have to go back to their moms. God, it's such a long story but they need help.  The mom has recently been hitting my nephew and we've seen bruises. I told him that next time his mom is hurting him to call 911. I hope he does.
thank you for your input!