Abuse Support Community
Concerned Aunt

This community is for discussions relating to emotional, physical, sexual, social, spiritual, spousal, and verbal abuse. Please note, this community is not monitored by professionals, rather questions will be answered by other members of the community.

Concerned Aunt

I have been concerned for awhile that my 2 year old niece has been molested by someone within the family. My mother sometimes found rashes when changing her diaper and when my niece would go pee she would say "ow." I really don't know what to do because I do not want to make false accusations but I feel if I don't act upon this, my niece is being abused. I don't want to think about this, however sometimes when my father is playing with her, he gets too "feely" and touches her. Whenever I see this, I get uncomfortable and try to remove her from the situation, but my mom is there and thinks nothing of it. I don't like it when he asks her for kisses or they are playing around, am I being paranoid? Thinking of what could be happening to her makes me very sick. Yet I don't know if someone from my sister-in-law's family is abusing her, such as her father because I don't know how he behaves with her. I definitely know it can't be any of my brothers, especially my brother that is her dad, because they would die before letting anything happen her. As of now, it's between my sister-in-law's father or mine, but I really hope I'm just being paranoid. Because I'm only 16, I feel scared to tell anyone what I think because it can all just be in my head and nothing is really happening to her. She doesn't normally show odd behavior, but I don't think saying "ow" when peeing or having rashes down there is a good sign. Please help I am really confused on what I should do, and am concerned on behalf of my 2 year old niece.
Babies get a lot of diaper rash,  and if she has a rash it DOES hurt and she would say "ow" when she peed or more especially pooping in her diaper.  It does hurt.  

Knowing your father your whole life,  have you seen him molest babies?
Well, rashes are common if she is still in diapers.  As for saying ow when peeing there are a lot of medical reasons for this too.  But if you strongly feel that your dad is too touchy with her then maybe you should comment to your brother or his wife that you think grandpa is playing to agressively or sexually.  You can plant the seed for them to explore further if they choose.  Did you tell them about the rash and the peeing part?  You should do that anyway in case it is a medical problem.  And if she goes to the doctor for it they would probably be able to tell if it looks like abuse evn without the parents asking.  Doctors are trained to see that kind of stuff with children who have problems with private parts.  So, do not accuse, just plant seeds.  I will pray that it is not happeneing and that you hang in there and do what you can.
Report the potential abuse anonymously. There should be programs to do so. They will investigate, and no one will have to know it was you.
I admire this young girl for being observant and speaking up. However, accusing someone of molestation is very serious, and if such a thing is done in errorI someone will be stigmatized for life, even if innocent. So the first thing to do is go to a doctor to eliminate an infection as a cause for the discomfort.
When you explain that she is touched in a manner that makes you think is too touchy. What do you mean, can you be more descriptive with the wheres and hows.
Definitely this child needs to go to the doctor to find the reason for her discomfort, always.  You've only mentioned your dad asking for kisses, which is normal. When you say "when they play around" he gets too "feely", can you tell us how he plays with her that is having you question his motives? Have you ever questioned your father's actions in any way before this?
    You're in a terrible position here, so I can understand why it's so tricky to decide what to do. Since you posted some time ago, I'm wondering, did you decide to try any of the ideas mentioned by other posters? Or something else?

If the situation hasn't been resolved, I suggest (anonymously) calling a helpline about child abuse-- and calling ASAP. If your niece is being sexually abused, she has to be saved from that horror. By talking with a trained you can describe the particulars about the disturbing behaviors exhibited by your father and niece, and and then that person can help you figure out what to do.

If your father ever did Anything to you, or any other minor, tell the person about that, also, because that obviously makes it more likely. Please post about what happened, ok? I hope your niece is healthy and safe. You're very brave to even explore ways of helping in case anything is happening to her.