Abuse Support Community
Having nightmares again about abuse?

This community is for discussions relating to emotional, physical, sexual, social, spiritual, spousal, and verbal abuse. Please note, this community is not monitored by professionals, rather questions will be answered by other members of the community.

Having nightmares again about abuse?

My parents were only 18 when they had me and my mum left as soon as I was born. I lived with my dad, nan and uncle who was 17 when I was born. When I was three he started to sexually abuse me until I was almost five. He went to jail for 4 years, and I haven't seen him since. My dad told me that I used wake up screaming for a few months after it. He was going to get me help but it suddenly stopped. I have no memory of these dreams. Every night for the past two weeks I have been having these dreams again. I wake up in the early hours of the morning sweating and some times crying out for help. After I wake up I can't get back to sleep. I don't want tell my dad because I don't want worry him. Is it normal to start having dreams again?
I am so sorry this happened to you , unfortunately we hear this very often .What reason does your dad think you are crying out in the night for ,? I think you do need to tell him, you should not have to deal with this alone , have you any other females in your life , family or friends you can talk to , is it just you and your dad, no siblings?
I am so sorry dear that you are having these nightmares again reminding you of the terrible events that happened when you were so young. So your uncle went to jail for abusing you? Did you have to go to court or anything? I'm sure glad that your paths have not crossed and there is no talk about him anywhere near you. Have your dad and you ever talked about what happened in all these years. The fact that your having these nightmares i think is a sign that it is your time now to talk to a therapist, the sooner the better. Please tell your dad about these returning nightmares, remember it is his job to help you through this and he would be so hurt if you didn't come to him and discuss what is happening to you. I dealt with physical, psychological and sadistic abuse, and for me, when It rose to the surface and I started to think about it when I got older, I knew that it was my time to now talk to a professional. You and dad can look for a professional that you think you might be comfortable and then get your doctor to make a referral to them. Someone who specializes in sexual abuse is obviously the one for you but they also have different treatment approaches that you can consider when making a decision.  Pick a few that you think might be a good fit, if you find that you are uncomfortable, then try another one. It's important that you feel comfortable.  I'm afraid that if you do not seek professional help dear, that this might affect you in the future. So please, work very hard to get a therapist and deal with your feelings right now, before you are involved in dating, and have a huge work load in later grades at school. This really is perfect timing for you to deal with your past.  Thankfully you have the full support of your father, he sounds like a good man. I'm wishing you the very best young lady, and will be praying for you to find peace. Please continue to use your Medhelp and talk about your feelings. Your feelings are very important to us. We care here about each other, and have seen our friends here thrive with the support and understanding of friends that are made here. God Bless you dear girl. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Liz
I think you will have to tell your father. Of course it will upset him, but he would be more upset if you kept it to yourself. Just talking it over with him should help you, but your really need a therapist. I hope your uncle's stay in prison was horribly traumatic, if you know what I mean.