Abuse Support Community
Help

This community is for discussions relating to emotional, physical, sexual, social, spiritual, spousal, and verbal abuse. Please note, this community is not monitored by professionals, rather questions will be answered by other members of the community.

Help

My sister in law purchased a three yr old pit bull two weeks ago.  She had her first baby this morning and is going to be taking the baby home to this pit bull in two days.  Everyone has told her to get rid of the dog.  Anyone with any sense knows that you don't mix a pit bull and a new born.  She wont listen to anyone.  Is there anyone to contact to make sure that she gets rid of this dog?  How can she be so stupid?
I would suggest that you start with the laws in your city. Some cities have banned pit bulls and others have very severe restrictions on  them. If yours does not, sadly there is nothing you can do until the dog show violent behavior and which point you can then have it pick up and removed from the premisses. I am not an animal hater, but that is one breed that I think needs to be done away with.
it sounds like her mind is made up what about your brother does he approve also if you manage to get the dog away from her do you think that she will ever talk with you again i myself do not beleive in children having pets until they are old enough not to pull their tails squeeze them because they  might bite lots luck to all jo
My husband feels the same way as I do and has tried to talk some sense into her.  Her response is that he's great with people.  My husband replied "So were all the others untill they turned on them"  She wont listen to anyone.  I'm hoping that I will be able to get the dog pulled from her without her finding out who it was that did it.  She wont even listen to her parents about it.  They wont push the subject because they're afraid that if they make her too mad that they wont get to see the baby.
you said it was your sister in law that has the pit bull the question i -asked was what does the sister in laws husband think of this not your husband if the father of the the baby does not like it he needs to take a stand in this    luck  jo
He wants to breed it with their lab.  Why turn one mean dog into five or six of them.
I agree with you 100% i have heard and seen to much that the pits have done. but wish for the best   jo
I am NO fan of pit bulls,  simply because you can't tell which ones will attack.  I like the kind of dog that you can predict - a mean one will growl and snap frequently,  a sweet one will act sweet.

Pit Bulls are like sealed envelopes.  In a very few of them,  there is poison.  But you can't tell from the outside.

If this is any comfort pit bulls are actually statistically one of the least likely dogs to bite,  and one that seems to like children can usually be stepped on,  kicked,  and whacked by energetic children without reacting.

The problem is,  when they bite they kill.  Unlike Grandma's snappy cocker spaniel that bites all the grand kids but does no real damage.

Best wishes.
Most pitt bull are very nice with kids. but at 3 y-old i dont know about that
I am the owner of a two year old pittbull as well as the mother of a 22 mnth old daughter, i purchased the dog before i gave birth so they have been raised together, i have NO problems once so ever with them being together of course i am always there other than that my daughter does not go to the back yard. i havent raised my dog to be mean and he is the most sweetest playful thing.  on this case i dont recommend the dog near the baby because the dog is already an adult dog and has been raised else where and she most likely does not know the dogs history. best thing to do is get rid of the dog
Pitbulls are just like any other dog....it's how you treat them and raise them...it's kinda sad because everyone thinks they're such mean creatures but that's because they are usually trained to be mean!! Just like Rottweillers and Dobermans!!! I know a couple of people that have owned pitbulls and had babies....they are perfectly harmless because they were treated well...it's all about how they are raised, just like any other animal!!!
I have 2 pitts, One is a Pitt lab mix and the other is a red nose pitt. Neither one of them have ever given me a problem. Yes these dogs have more problem with people fighting them, or they are raised this way. Its sad because its the people who raise these dogs who make them mean!! So people start thinking its the dog they need to get ridd of! Instead of the people. GEEZ, think about it. Ive heard of alot of dalmations being one of the most visious dogs. But now, no one actually cares of this because they represent a symbol of being the all American Fire DOG. Another example of a mean dog, I have run into little dogs, that plain need to be put down.  Basically im just saying it just depends on HOW PEOPLE raise them. Any Animal!!

I have  a pitt and a 10 month old baby.  And my dog is so gentle with him and my 3 yr old.  he'll just lay of the floor and let them crawl all over him.  he's not harmless at all.  I do agree that it's how you raise them that make them do mean.  Now, he's like the protecter of my boys.  If one of my boys are asleep on the couch he lays right next to them on the floor by the couch.  If i thought these dogs were so mean then i wouldn't have bought one.  
correction i meant to write he is not mean at all
Here's the thing about pit bulls that people so often misunderstand - it isn't just how you raise them that matters.  It's true,  if you raise them wrong you have a monster on your hands,  that's true.

If you raise them with all the love in the world,  they still are likely to be "game" which means they fight to the death and pain means nothing when attacking.  That's how they have been bred for centuries and that's what they are.  If they attack,  they don't do a quick nip and retreat the way collies,  dalmatians,  chows,  chihuahuas,  cocker spaniels,  and other dogs likely to bite do.  

If they bite,  they don't give up until they're nearly dead.  You can hit them over the head with a baseball bat,  and they're still attacking.

Pit bulls are not very likely to attack dominant people - healthy adult men and women (except pregnant women) but of their victims,  the very weak are more likely.  Small children,  pregnant women,  old men and women.  People who are experiencing a seizure or other incapacating episode.  

Like pointers "point" at stuff in the yard with zero training,  border collies "herd" party guests with no training,  cairn terriers rid rock piles of rodents with no training,  pit bulls who attack,  attack the weak and don't let go.

It's not just a myth.  It's true,  look at the statistics.  

Statistically speaking a pit bull will get through its entire life never biting anyone.  But LOOK OUT for the time they bite,  you're maimed.  

And you can blame that on the monsters who bred that into them,  and you can't "love" it out of them.
They used to demonize dobermans - I had 3 fabulous loving ones.  They demonized rottys, again, great dogs!  German Shepherds, same thing.  
Some dogs are harder to train than others, but I stand by my statement - there are no bad dogs just bad "owners".
If they are "dog people" and are willing to invest the time that it takes to develop a loving family member, all will be fine.  Especially true if they met their pups parents and found them to be of a sweet disposition.
Yes, dobes, rotts, GS and Pitts all have been bread for guard duties, but that does not make them all vicious.  Do your research and you will find that "In fact, the well-bred American Pit Bull Terrier is a family guardian and protector; an intelligent and obedient pet; a sweet, even-tempered dog that serves well as a help-mate to handicapped owner and friend to small children; and a healthy, hardy dog that complains little and offers much to his family."