Abuse Support Community
Manager mental harassment

This community is for discussions relating to emotional, physical, sexual, social, spiritual, spousal, and verbal abuse. Please note, this community is not monitored by professionals, rather questions will be answered by other members of the community.

Manager mental harassment

I got this job through a friend who knew this manager.. I got the job and since I met his wife... I thought he was a good man.. He is like maybe in his 50s while I am in my 20s..He kept saying that I was like his daughter.. and later when i thought he was being unwantedly too good.. I decided to back off a little,, Thats when he showed me his true self.. He started stalking me sending presents .. Shouting at me saying that I was the reason his marriage has ended when I never even did or said anything to make him think otherwise.. I am in a contract in this company for another year and my family is in another country.. his wife has left to his home country.. On top of that he is friends with the HR manager, and the others.,,so I dont know whom to complain to.  I dont like a fuss but other than making a fuss I dont know what to do  He keeps emailing.sending me messages on my cell.. as though I  am replying to him..He acts mentally disturbed.. Please Help..
In the U.S., what he is doing would be against the law, and the company would see to it that he was stopped for fear of a lawsuit against the company itself.  This would be true whether he is friends with the HR manager or not.  But the laws about sexual harassment are specific to every country, with some having few or no protective laws and some having a lot.   So make an appointment with a lawyer that specializes in employment law.  Save all the emails (in a computer not associated with your workplace computer) and keep a journal of what has been happening, being as exact as possible.  Whether or not it is against the law, you certainly have a valid complaint about being forced to work with a guy who is apparently delusional.  Even if sexual harassment is not against the law in India, ask the lawyer if you have grounds to break your employment contract rather than being forced to work for a guy who seems almost crazy.  
ditto to Anniebrooke's post. I'm sorry that this is happening to you, it must be so frustrating. Some people huh? Please keep us informed as to what you do, and how it all works out? Hang tough, keep strong, this is not a reflection on you, and will be a thing of the past, soon. Big Hug. Liz
Thank you for the information..I am actually working in UAE but am from India.. That is why here i dont have the support of my family and being in a different country I am not sure how everything works... I am going to contact my immediate manager on some of my concerns and see what happens..This has been happening for more than 6 months now..initially it was suffocating now it has come to the point where i see him trying to manipulate my colleagues *** friends to inviting me to parties or to accept gifts ... I am now trying to return the gifts to him back at the office and at the same time will inform my manager about it as some of the stuff he gave might have come from the place I work and I dont want to get in further trouble.. Thank you again for the support
The best of luck, contacting your manager. Keep posting, you're not alone dear. You're doing the right thing by returning the gifts. What gifts did he give you that you think might be from the business you're in?
Books, and then perfumes and something else which I didnt check I just kept it all back,,I work in a book store.. Today I have informed my department manager,, It took a lot of guts from my end and with the help from my colleague informed about the matter .. Now the Dept manager has given me a choice of approaching the higher management.. having discussed with my mom Have decided to inform them though am feeling like whether it will all turn out badly.
A bit of a dilemma for your job
I really appreciate when you gave me advice on what is to be done.. It gave me the go ahead to at least do something  in a proper way instead of trying to hide .. I guess I was just being an Ostrich with my head buried in the sand thinking if I stay hidden long enough the matter will somehow disappear, Thank you for you guys help.