Abuse Support Community
My wife constantly yells at our kids

This community is for discussions relating to emotional, physical, sexual, social, spiritual, spousal, and verbal abuse. Please note, this community is not monitored by professionals, rather questions will be answered by other members of the community.

My wife constantly yells at our kids

My wife and I have 3 kids (5 years, 2 1/2, and 7 months). They are all great kids.  When I cam home from work most days, I observed her yelling (angry) at the kids (the two older ones) and I figured it was a long day and she was just worn out, and had a short fuse at the end of the day. I would step in and help coral the kids and give her a break, so she didn't have to deal with it. well, I have been off of work for several weeks and had a chance to observe her with the kids all day for many days in a row. It isn't just at the end of the day. It's all day, every day, every time they don't listen or misbehave. It seems to be her standard reaction whenever she is displeased with the kids. As far as I know, she did not grow up getting yelled at. I've known her and her family since she was 15. I just don't know what to do about it. I have brought it up with her, and she just reacts defensively, I suggest other methods, and she dismisses the suggestions. I rarely have to yell at our kids, and then only a bark to get attention, never the angry tirades she delivers to them. I know she loves them, I just don't know what to do with this situation. Any ideas?
-7 Comments Post a Comment
Three children is a lot for your wife to look after , I guess the 5 year old is at school, but she is with the other 2 all day till you get home, has she always been like this or is this a recent happening where she is yelling it does sound as if she is having some Issues.If she will not listen to you has she a parent or relative she can talk to or a counsellor ? I think you may have to do more than talking to her maybe you have to explain that all this anger will have an effect on the children and is it verbal abuse,they will also start acting out and yelling themselves as children copy, I do believe she needs some anger counselling if you can get her to do it.Its a tough one isnt it, but the good thing is you are not in Denial and are trying to solve the problem, Is there any Issue at home she is Unhappy with have you asked her  how she feels ,is her health okay,any anxieties you are not aware of, , would a visit to your Doctor help
no i do not think this is nornal for every day she should go to a group therapy that deals with these things, and no put your foot down on the yelling it does not do any good anyway just ask her if this is normal behavior for all parents and if so why have the children, i can see it once in awhile when maybe you do not feel well, but no not everyday there are other methods   luck  jo