Abuse Support Community
Repressed Memories

This community is for discussions relating to emotional, physical, sexual, social, spiritual, spousal, and verbal abuse. Please note, this community is not monitored by professionals, rather questions will be answered by other members of the community.

Repressed Memories

Hi when i was 14 years old i was sexually abused, nowadays i seem to be having frequent flashbacks of the event, with flashbacks of things i could not remember after the event, are those false or repressed memories and should i speak to my psychologist about this?I don't enjoy talking to people about the event but those flashbacks are really depressing.
they could be memories you have pushed back to spare yourself from the pain.  they do come back in flashes.  
i would talk to my psychiatrist about them.  if you want you may be able to have hypnosis therapy to help you remember.
personally, i would not want to remember.  i have huge blocks of time missing from events in my childhood and i choose not to know.  well, i pretty much know what happened, but spare myself the details.
the less you think about it, the less frequent they will flash in your mind.  
it takes A LOT of time and learning to stop thinking about it, but it can be done.  
now, 40 yrs later, i rarely have the flashbacks anymore, UNLESS for some reason i am forced to talk about that time frame of my life.  for example- my mom bringing stuff up, etc.