Abuse Support Community
involuntary or voluntary mental help

This community is for discussions relating to emotional, physical, sexual, social, spiritual, spousal, and verbal abuse. Please note, this community is not monitored by professionals, rather questions will be answered by other members of the community.

involuntary or voluntary mental help

I have a brother who is an alcoholic and really has issues with people or crowds gathering (family too). He does get SSI for having an annuruism(head injury) and is disabled for it. he cant work but he can sure be very manupulative in wrong ways.  Weve had confrontations before and when police show up,  after holding him down to settle down, he tells police I hit him and have gone to jail for couple of days.  but when I get out (no charges at the end). This WILL happen again. My mother is getting the worst of it with migraine headaches and stress. Im wondering that if we call 911 and let them know that he does need help  other than jail like mental hospital  can they take him involuntary if my mother chooses too cuz we are running out of time..IM 42, hes 43, my mother is 65 and doesnt need him to act like this. I  know he will choose not to go but something needs to be done.  The police told us that unless there is another incident, to call 911 and tell them its a "CIT" thing.  We are in nevada.   Please some advice.                Stressing in Nevada
Mike, here I though I was dealing with some teenage boys, but you are all older.  Why are either of you living at home anyway???  If you don't like it, get out!  If your mother doesn't like it, it's her house and she needs to kick his *** out!

She can have him committed by telling the cops he is a danger to others, which he is.  He has to be either a danger to himself or others, and I would sure as hell call!  But the fact of the matter is, they will only put in on a 72 hour hold.  So, what you need to do is find out who his doctor is, and then both of you go meet him and show him the arrest records, and tell him that he needs to get a social worker involved because he is no longer welcome at home anymore, and you will get a restraining order if need be (AND GET ONE IF YOU HAVE TO!)

Your mother and you need to grow up and act like adults, you should have known all of this, and don't say that this jerk stays at your mothers house "out of guilt" because you both have gone overboard helping him, but it was HIS CHOICE to overstay his welcome and act like a fool.  If you had a tenant there, and he was just a tenant, and he treated you and your mother like your brother does, would you both put up with it? NO!!  So why put up with this from someone who is supposed to love you both?  GET HIM OUT, YOU WILL BE SURPRISED AT HOW RESOURCEFUL HE WILL BE, THOSE TYPES USUALLY ARE WHEN IN A PINCH!